Alloy wheel/tyre insurance. Anyone bought it?

In prep for the replacement Boxster I have been offered GAP insurance for the wheels and tyres. Looks a bit pricey from the OPC but a search on the interweb shows other providers and lower prices.

Any one have opinions experience on a 3 year insurance scheme. I normally wouldn't but the replacement costs are pretty steep for wheels and tyres. OPC are suggesting £799 which is way over :lol:

I would never buy this type of insurance as I can afford to replace a tyre/wheel in the unlikely event I need to. On average you will be quids in if you avoid insurance, but need to get cover when you are not prepared to take the hit, such as with house and car insurance. If you live life on the financial edge and a £800 bill would push you over then it might be worthwhile, but then you probably shouldn't own a Porsche if that were the case.

The other irritating thing with these type of insurances and warrantees is that you often only find out how good they are when you go to claim and find all the exclusions, excesses and reductions for wear and tear.

22 minutes ago, Toeside said:

It doesn't necessarily alter your argument for gap insurance, but I must be missing something - the price quoted on that website is £1200 more than the price on the Porsche Tequipment website? 

I hear what you are saying re new replacement cost from an OPC, but you can get a new set of genuine Porsche wheels with tyres for less than half that on eBay. See link below.

I declined the insurance on the basis that I only use the car in Summer and even then not as a daily driver, so the chances of me ever needing the insurance is low.

Also you are unlikely to damage all four wheels and tyres, more likely to damage one perhaps and that can be replaced for less than that premium.

But as they say, "You pays your money and you make your choice!"

Hope this helps!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=112037410202&globalID=EBAY-GB 

The black or graphite colour adds further cost to the wheels I suspect. Certainly on the 718 options Black wheels are roughly £650 extra.

Thanks for the steer (!)

Interweb prices for wheels and tyres  insurance are £299 for 3 years Porsche are £799. I suspect the OPC deal will be squeaky good and will pay up without much bother. Not much feedback from the non Porsche insurance so I will take my chances which I've done with every previous car!:wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly £799 is extortionate.  You can get 3rd party cover for much cheaper as you've seen.

For me, it depends on the wheels you have.  If a scuff can be locally repaired I'd not bother. 

I bought this for a Mini we had that had a diamond cut finish and ran on run flats.  One scuffed wheel and one flat tyre and it paid for itself.

If you have a spare £300 and prefer the peace of mind, I'd be inclined to go for it.

I bought GAP insurance for the car from new on the net for around £459 with no tyre or wheel cover....this was a 5 year policy with a £50000 claim limit and on a 'vehicle replacement' basis....Porsche quoted me £1019 for only a 3 year Gap and a claim limit of £25k, £499 for Superguard (or the same price for Swissvax)....they dropped these prices to £550 gap and £250 for SG or SV...

Anyway the point is the options to add on tyres and wheels onto the third party gap was:

Tyre cover from £98 (run flat was £from £197)

Alloy wheel cover £99 for a year

I took neither but I had one scuffed wheel done for £200 by Chris from Exel...I'd save the money if it were £799 and pay to refurb if it becomes necessary...depending on the wheels you have you can buy second hand or refurb or even a second full set with tyres on from an OPC can be had for a decent (ish) price.....I bought a set of winter 19's with winter tyres for £2500 from an OPC as an example

Archived