Newbie - First Porsche - 981 BGTS

jayk

Hey all,

Well long story short, wanted the 981 Cayman GT4, was way to late to the party so no go. In the last few years just at Honda track/race cars. Recently read the next GT4 is going to have a NA motor, so had a chat with my local dealer who invited me in for a further chat. Popped down with the misses, ended up seeing a lovely Cayman GTS for sale, however in yellow. The local OPC invited me back for a test drive of the 718 Manual etc etc. 

The week after was nuts, i inquired about 5 Cayman GTS's in the spec i wanted, and all sold very quickly. My local OPC decided to not return my calls or emails of interest, have no idea why. Then i saw a Boxster 981 GTS at Leeds Porsche and it looks great, called up put a deposit on it, at this point I didn't a soft top but Leeds had a Cayman GTS PDK in also so back to back test drives were arranged.

So a week prior was not even looking for a car, a few days later i wanted a Cayman GTS PDK, a few days later after test drives, i bought a Boxster GTS Manual. I absolutely love it. The Cayman was great, but the Boxster with the top off and all the noise and drama and the manual, just made me smile a million times more. 

The car was delivered last week, since then I have added Zunsport Grilles, Suntek PPF on the whole front end, sills, and rear arch following down the rear bumper section. It will get Siramik APT soon also along with some roof/interior protection. 

I love it, its a 3rd car and i just want to drive it all the time. Did not think i'd ever be in a Boxster, but its awesome fun. What a car for the money, I am quite worried what i would get next, maybe a GT4, but will most likely miss the roof off noise factor...........no more N/A motors....maybe i have to keep this forever :)

Cheers

Jay.

20160804_080220.jpg

20160804_080227.jpg

20160806_141753.jpg

20160804_080332.jpg

20160811_202108.jpg

20160814_193533.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

A few BGTS owners on here.

Enjoy the car!

Welcome - I too have a BGTS as my first Porsche.  I knew I wanted a Boxster though and I was able to order the exact spec I wanted.  Mine is PDK, but like you I'm thrilled with the car, love it and at the moment don't see it ever being sold.

Thanks for the comments guys. Me and the wife both love it. 

I've taken a picture here, one of the seals doesn't look as good as the other side. It's a roof seal where then window sits against. Anyone else seen this? 

20160816_183612.jpg

lovely can you have mate .... ive not seen seal picture like that on even the oldest of 986 cars .... as your car is still  young id take it porsche to see if it can be replaced under warranty . or you can sand off the flaky bits  and use a rubber based paint to blend it back in .....

52 minutes ago, jayk said:

one of the seals doesn't look as good as the other side. It's a roof seal where then window sits against. Anyone else seen this? 

I thought that looked strange, but having just checked mine (also a 2015), it is also just starting to flake just a bit like this, but seemingly only on the passenger side (like yours), but even then much less pronounced than yours. It's odd as you'd just expect that part to be plain rubber, but it's almost as if a top matte layer is flaking off, showing a slightly more shiny surface underneath. As FH says above, I don't think my 986 was like that even at 15 yrs old. I will keep an eye on this, but also interested in other 981 owners' reports.

Nice car BTW, and welcome to the best forum for it!

Thanks guys, it only had 1750 miles on it when we bought it still just over 2000. It was like that when we bought it and we did point it out to the OPC but the car came delivered as is. 

Will drop them a line. A few marks on it that need resolving too but OPC did say they would get them sorted. 

Do you think a new seal in that location would be much work? Leeds are 2.5 hours away from me. 

Thanks 

Jay 

10 hours ago, jayk said:

Thanks guys, it only had 1750 miles on it when we bought it still just over 2000. It was like that when we bought it and we did point it out to the OPC but the car came delivered as is. 

Will drop them a line. A few marks on it that need resolving too but OPC did say they would get them sorted. 

Do you think a new seal in that location would be much work? Leeds are 2.5 hours away from me. 

Thanks 

Jay 

That is poor, if you pointed it out and they still gave it to you like that. A stern letter is in order

No problem on the seals on my 2012 car.

From the picture, it looks to me like a solvent type cleaner has been used on the window, causing the rubber to degrade.

Looks like it needs to be fixed as a goodwill gesture by the OPC.

Its a shame we lost our serial litigant, he would know what to do!

It is happening on the drivers side also but alot less, or its already rubbed off. The OPC said the car was Porsche GB Prepared so they have sent the pictures to them. I guess they will have to cough up for it under warranty? 

Picked the car up on the way home from having the headlights PPF'd. 

Got home then had to go with the wife to pick the car I'd left at the PPF place.........took 40 mins to get there instead of 10! :))))) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived