Tyre Pressures

Graham W

I have a 981 PDK with 19" wheels and about to embark upon our first European tour in this car and I am a little unsure about what tyre pressures I should be running.  If I look at the label on the drivers door pillar it says 2.0 bar front and back.  If I check the handbook it says for 19" wheels I should be running 2.0 bar front and 2.1 rear.  Bearing in mind the car will be a little heaver than normal with luggage (not too much as we travel fairly light being ex-bikers), what pressures should I be running given that hopefully the temperatures in Spain and Portugal will be reasonably high?

Does no one use PSI these days :laugh:

double check your figures and tyre sizes, in the manual to what you have fitted as it often lists slightly different for different tyres/use/weights.

i know it's not the same but I run my cars religiously by the book the 986 was 29f 36r, 997 is 33f 39r that's a difference front to rear as I suspect yours should be

7 hours ago, Graham W said:

If I look at the label on the drivers door pillar it says 2.0 bar front and back.  If I check the handbook it says for 19" wheels I should be running 2.0 bar front and 2.1 rear. 

Any chance that your car had 18" wheels when it was delivered - 2.0bar (29psi) would have been correct for F&R in that case? My 981 has the correct pressures on the door pillar for my optional wheels, so it looks like they do match that up to the original-fitted wheels.

981 seems to be the same or only very slightly different (1psi) F&R for all wheel sizes, unlike the 986.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, Stark said:

Just out of curiosity, 20'' wheels?

(my first post) Hi all.

when I googled for the 20" it came up at 33PSI. my tyres were 29ish on all 4 corners. after increasing to 33psi felt better under load etc. I also noted that before I increase the air to 33 I have added a fair bit of "egde" side wall scrub in the 6 months of ownership.

There are two settings given on mine. I believe these are referred to as the "comfort" and the "sport" setting.  I also have 20" on a 981S 

settings are 2.3bar / 33psi  for >160mph. ( lets face it that is unlikely).   Or

2.1bar / 30 psi for < 160mph.

i believe you can select the comfort or sport setting on the TPMS system.

i have mine set as 2.1 bar all round, seems good to me,. Rarely gets above 2.2 bar even when warm.

• 1 year later...

Archived