Should I buy a 986

T2EY L

Hello all, I'm Trey. 

First of all I'm new to the world of Porsche. I've always loved them and have been fantasising about owning a 930 turbo for many years. I like the air cooled my wife and my pocket doesn't. But I use to dream about building a classic looking beauty with some modern mods, but that's a dream I will be forever chasing. 

So 930 is out of the question but I have been thinking about a Boxster. I know, big different in car but I can't afford the one I want, and I would like to continue with my track days. So I am thinking 986 and over time creating something special over time. I don't know much about the Boxster so I'm hoping for a bit of advice things to look out for when buying and once brought etc.

Thanks in advance  

The answer will probably be "yes" on this board :)

Several here have them and track them, often with no modifications whatsoever.

Will you expect to have it only as a second/track car, or daily use also?

Look for one with refreshed suspension (original 986 suspension now very tired) and with smaller rather than larger wheels, to buy cheaper tyres. That's my tuppence.

Have fun looking :)

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure where to post it, I figured it may be a little one sided here. 

This will be my daily driver as well as weekend/track toy. I haven't thought about mods yet I think I'll wait until I've got it. 

Thanks 

Just now, Ringo said:

New to the world of Porsche myself but already my Boxster is proving it's worth. Highly recommended.

What one did you get? and do you have any info on things I need to worry about in my purchase ? 

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-WHITE-986-not-911-cayman-/272335172990?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=vOuRtOhmfjAoq3zGF2%2F%2B%2Bcrey1M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Link to mine...

I bought this one as it is low warranted mileage, FSH, and the previous owner was a genuine enthusiast and treated it with great care with no expense spared. I had a full inspection done before the purchase to check the state of everything from the chassis to the electrics and fluids.  Having purchased a few marque cars before, I would highly recommend:

A full pre-sale inspection, various options from RAC (worth the money) http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections
History-check of the car (CAT C/D etc)
A full and clean MOT (no advisories)
Full service history (highly preferable)
IMS bearing upgraded (can save a lot of heartache)
Four good tyres

My only other advice would be to be patient, cautious and thorough. Don't jump in feet first...wait until you find the right one for you.

I wish you all the very best with your purchase.

Very nice l'd be very happy with a Boxster like yours

Tell me what's the ims bearing? And why is it so important to change? Also I have been told that oil and water mixing is common. But I've also read that it's an easy fix ?? this I find very hard to believe 

thanks 

A couple of 986 checklists are pinned at the top here. They are now old (so more parts will need checking!) but a good start.

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/index.php?/forum/11-wanted-buying-advice/

IMS "layman's chat" is here, pinned at the top of the Technical forum. We avoided discussion of solutios as they keep changing. But vaguely £100 for a similar bearing if you dare to strip the engine yourself, up to £1500ish if you give it to a garage and ask them to do the clutch as well :

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

What are you used to driving on tracks? Might also affect your choice.

I'm using a 400bhp e46 M3 at the moment. i was using a 650bhp Impreza. Both cars very different. This however, will be my first daily driver and track car. 

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

Why? Won't it handle better than both the above...????

My Impreza was a handful but the M3 awesome. I'm not too sure about the Boxster around a track but I have test driven a 3.2S and it will be interesting to see what my track project will be like. 

On 29/08/2016 at 10:09 PM, Loz987 said:

Why? Won't it handle better than both the above...????

I think it was the power aspect Menoporsche  was referring to.

I'd think hard about what it is about being on the track that appeals to me. Is it handling, improving my times, a competitive class of cars to race against, just going fast...? I ask this because you are used to quite different power than a Boxster/Cayman would provide.

And I'd research the tracks I want to run on and any organizations that sponsor track days and see what their rules/restrictions are.

What mods do you have to make to a rag-top to even be on the track? What mods to be safe like roll bar extension, full cage, special seat belts, fire extinguisher, helmet, HANS, etc.

Then what mods to make the engine hold together.  What mods to be competitive.

A drivers experience (DE) is quite different from full out racing.  Passing versus following.

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 2:40 PM, T2EY L said:

Hello all, I'm Trey. 

First of all I'm new to the world of Porsche. I've always loved them and have been fantasising about owning a 930 turbo for many years. I like the air cooled my wife and my pocket doesn't. But I use to dream about building a classic looking beauty with some modern mods, but that's a dream I will be forever chasing. 

So 930 is out of the question but I have been thinking about a Boxster. I know, big different in car but I can't afford the one I want, and I would like to continue with my track days. So I am thinking 986 and over time creating something special over time. I don't know much about the Boxster so I'm hoping for a bit of advice things to look out for when buying and once brought etc.

Thanks in advance  

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes +1

but the question is better asked on a bmw or scooby forum, thus avoiding 'obvious' bias. 

Truthfully, I doubt you'll enjoy a Boxster if it's for the track. It's better suited to B roads where 75mph is outrageous. ?

Archived