Gear Shift Change

MartinRS2K

Just back from the test drive. To be honest, I'm not blown away! There is definitely an improvement from 2nd to 3rd in terms of throw, but otherwise, not a massive noticeable difference. 

Im worried that my linkages markings weren't accurate enough. I did refer back to @Lonewolfgjp 's photos trying to get the thread spacing for both threaded linkages similar. 

Would it compromise the results massively if these weren't spot on?

im using the 997 replacement part - not short throw kit which ultilises the existing 'housing'. 

The 987 and OEM short shift feels quite smooth and is not as noticeably short as the B&M copy. If I could have the shift action of the B&M with the feel of the OEM shortshjft that would be ideal. 

I think the reduction in throw is only about 15% over the 986 shifter, but I thought it felt a little more then this in practice.

If you've not already, then try some quicker changes when pressing on at high rpm's as i've found the difference is more noticeable then.

It does sound like you would be happier with the B&M though, which is more like 25% + reduction in throw, but I was worried about the

ease of selecting gears when cold in the winter.

You could always raise the gearknob with the short shift kit (like jimk04 has done) which might give you the

best of both worlds, but you would need a custom gaiter.

I agree the throw isn't massively shorter but it's a lot smoother than my oem 986 one. I find I don't miss second gear anymore and overall just feels right!

The B&M copy is a lot more noticeable, that you've been messing but from what I felt way too notchy for me... Some folks may like that notchy feel and think it's worth it because of the shorter throw.

I was originally after trying to get it to feel like the gear change in my S2000, which I felt was perfect. It was short and precise but not notchy or hard work.

I think the oem 987 shifter assembly is probably the best of the options even though both are a bit of a compromise?

The other thing I noticed that made a difference to the feel was the gear shifter knob. I'm not sure which one you are using? But the optional tequipment knobs are quite heavy and that improves the weight of the feel.

I know it sounds a bit odd but originally I had my 986 carbon knob fitted.

26496597071_68e83dcb00_b.jpg

Now that felt great, very solid and a nice weight to the whole gear change. A bit later on I changed to a 987 Carbon shifter knob.

26270422864_e939aa5dea_b.jpg

Now this one may look quite cool and yes they are ubber expensive but they are plastic and as light as a feather.

Although this does feel nice in your paw and I have got use to it . It definitely doesn't feel as heavy and precise as the other one!

Not sure what you're using but the original oem Boxster S shifter was very light so it maybe worth considering a tequipment upgrade in leather or carbon?

If you want it weightier and perhaps a tad more precise there is a weighted part you can buy that replaces the plastic block on the left side of the shifter. 

48 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I agree the throw isn't massively shorter but it's a lot smoother than my oem 986 one. I find I don't miss second gear anymore and overall just feels right!

This is what I've found with the swap to the 987 shifter. It is a slightly shorter shift but the movement is more precise and feels less "wooly" than the 986 that I took out, but this may have been down to wear.

Even the wife though going from 2nd to 3rd was a bit of a lottery but now she feels confident changing up or down at speed :o

The base is different, but depending on what you have already got you can adapt it to fit.

The easy way is to find a tequipment base in your colour, these styles haven't got the trimmed in style shifter.

But before I found a tequipment base I modded my moulded style one, by carefully cutting the leather nice and high up the shifter knob. The 986 upgrade knobs fit using a screw and a tie wrap, naff or what? The 987 ones just slot on but you still secure the gaiter with a tie wrap. I will have a look for some photos but if you google it you should find it!?

Has anyone got a good, reasonably priced source for a 987 shifter assembly?

Coming from a series of MX-5s, the gearshift is the most disappointing thing about my Boxster. 

Also, given the higher gearing, 3rd to 2nd is a much more common occurrence when pushing on a bit - and its currently a slow, laborious, occasionally missed process. 

I think I have some engine mounts to replace too (movement felt when on>off throttle if gently pushing on gearlever) but the shifter and cable is the main culprit - its dreadfully baggy and sloppy. 

The daft gear knob mounting is an annoyance too, if it was a round shaft then any number of nicely weighted knobs would fit and a heavy knob does wonders for the shifting feel!

You could try Porsche Heaven that was linked to earlier in the thread..........I think they had a few of them.

Failing that Douglas Valley might have one.

3 to 2nd will be a little better with the 987 shifter, though its still not that great and will have some play in it as standard.

I had MK1 MX'5's for 10 years........the boxster shift is pretty poor in comparison.

Our 2006 Passat shift is better.

Archived