Gear Shift Change

MartinRS2K

I know it has been asked lots of times before but I am undecided which way to go. The car is driven by me and the wife so I don't want a gear change that is too stiff really.

The 2 options I have looked at are :-

1. Replace the existing sloppy gear shift with one out of a 987 car (£60.00 for a good second hand one)

2. Buy one of the Chinese short shift kits from Aliexpress.com (£30.00 delivered from China, but £13 of this is carriage :unsure: )

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/8087884732.html?orderId=78205812877150

I have also been told that I may need to replace the Gear Linkage cable ends. Is this likely or should I just do it anyway??

http://www.design911.com/Gear-Linkage-cable-End-Porsche-Boxster---Cayman---996---997---Carrera-GT/prod9246/

I'm in a similar situation, but know the answer.

If you're getting the Chinese ones which I was going to do, you'd really need new cable ends (the bits with the springs on). Not because your current ones won't fit, but because they also wear overtime, which can count for some of the sloppiness. So the price then increases from £30 to around £70. It also doesn't change some plastic parts in the gear assembly that are known to cause a bit of sloppiness in the 986 assembly - some YouTube videos can show you this.

If you get the 987 assembly though, you'll get the whole new assembly, plus the cable ends, and you know it's going to be good. That's what I'd go for :) and like you said, it's £60 so it's actually cheaper.

Thank you Geraint you are a star. This forum is excellent, full of knowledgeable and helpful Boxster owners :)

So this will be the one then 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-987-997-Cayman-Gear-Shifter-Shift-Selector-6sp-986-996-genuine-/122120227398?

That's the incorrect linkage above, this is the one you should replace:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16924-shift-linkage-broken.html

I know this from personal experience, mine failed a few years ago and I had to drive home 5 miles unable to change gear.

There are two connectors for the selector cable at the shifter, I wouldn't bother with the one you show above - just the one that fit's on the ball joint on the bottom of the gear lever as that the one that breaks and causes the sloppiness.

When I replaced my shifter, the ends looked like new.

I replaced them anyway as didn't want to remove the centre console, then find out I needed the parts.

987 shifters don't come up for sale that often, and £60 posted is a good price, so buy it before somone else does !

The other linkage that Rick mentions.

http://www.design911.com/Gear-Linkage-cable-End-Porsche-Boxster---Cayman---996---997---Carrera-GT_2/prod9248/

You won't regret fitting the 987 gearshift assembly, it's one of the best mods I've done.

Tightens up the shift and shortens the throw enough to make a difference but still feels oem, and no more missing those second gear selections!?

I fitted the Chinese one last week after reading many posts on this and other forums, I didn't change cables or anything else as no one mentioned it anywhere but the overall result is really good, obviously only time will tell if it proves durable One concern I had when fitting was that you don't re use the nylon "block" that sits on the ball joint to the left of the shifter. The ball on the new part is simply too big to fit which means it just sits in the slot on the main body of the nylon component. I assume that this is intrinsic to making it shift quickly but it did concern me that the ball was acting direct on the slot in the nylon rather than a socket as in the original, I can certainly see slop developing here over time but other than that the quality appears quite good.

12 hours ago, Terryg said:

I fitted the Chinese one last week after reading many posts on this and other forums, I didn't change cables or anything else as no one mentioned it anywhere but the overall result is really good, obviously only time will tell if it proves durable One concern I had when fitting was that you don't re use the nylon "block" that sits on the ball joint to the left of the shifter. The ball on the new part is simply too big to fit which means it just sits in the slot on the main body of the nylon component. I assume that this is intrinsic to making it shift quickly but it did concern me that the ball was acting direct on the slot in the nylon rather than a socket as in the original, I can certainly see slop developing here over time but other than that the quality appears quite good.

Ummm... that doesn't sound right.  The 'quick' shift it achieved by a longer throw past the pivot point, on the 'cable' side of the shifter.   This means the gear knob side requires less travel to engage gear (shortening the overall gate 'feel', and thus meaning the gears are quicker to engage).  Most call it a short shifter over a 'quick' shifter, as it's a more accurate description of the benefit.

You should still have the 'white nylon block' connected, as per my pic below

QNXzTMG.jpg

If you are referring to the smaller attachment in the pic below, however, that's OK.  Hard to tell from the description though

N1iEDLm.jpg

I've asked this several times, and still unable to remove the leather gaiter from a 987.1.  How, exactly, do you do this please? Thanks. 

By the way I hate to be pedantic (but I am going to be) but "short" isn't a benefit "quick" is, if the result of it being shorter was to may the change slower nobody would fit it.

5 hours ago, Terryg said:

By the way I hate to be pedantic (but I am going to be) but "short" isn't a benefit "quick" is, if the result of it being shorter was to may the change slower nobody would fit it.

Shift speed is a misnomer.  It doesn't make shifting measurably quicker, as the improvement is negligible (or perhaps even a placebo).

The result, and benefit, is that the shift is shorter.  No one want to drive a premium 'sports' car with the gear gate of an LDV (despite what VW seemed to think).

1 hour ago, cj225 said:

Shift speed is a misnomer.  It doesn't make shifting measurably quicker, as the improvement is negligible (or perhaps even a placebo).

The result, and benefit, is that the shift is shorter.  No one want to drive a premium 'sports' car with the gear gate of an LDV (despite what VW seemed to think).

Totally disagree if the travel is less and you do it at the same speed it must be quicker, that's why I did it and that's the result and the benefit I feel, like I said if making the distance less had the effect of making gear changes slower, no one would fit one. Sure there are better things to argue over mind you.

On 7 September 2016 at 10:54 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

You won't regret fitting the 987 gearshift assembly, it's one of the best mods I've done.

Tightens up the shift and shortens the throw enough to make a difference but still feels oem, and no more missing those second gear selections!?

Was this a straight forward swap in/out job?

I concerned about getting the adjustment right and have seen a green adjustment tool (part number 00072196191).

Did you need this or encounter any issues? 

Archived