oil consumption

alank

Just got back from w/e away and noticed that the oil level seems to have dropped . It is the middle on the electronic level, and im sure it was on or near the top level mark last time I

noticed the level. It does not smoke at all, exhaust is black/dark brown colour, but not obviously sooty, and their are no leaks. so a bit of a mystery. What would an acceptable oil consumption on these cars be, apart from zero . The engine has 110 k but has been rebuilt in 2014, rings, mains etc. Thanks for any info

I remember reading somewhere the 'expected' use of oil on the Boxster. If I remember correctly is was something like 1/4 litre in 1000 miles. I may be wrong on this. I'm off to footie in a minute (via a couple of watering holes) but I'll see if I can find it for you later on.

35 minutes ago, Seagull Fan said:

I remember reading somewhere the 'expected' use of oil on the Boxster. If I remember correctly is was something like 1/4 litre in 1000 miles. I may be wrong on this. I'm off to footie in a minute (via a couple of watering holes) but I'll see if I can find it for you later on.

Using a bit of oil is not unexpected due to the engine design but that's not the same as expecting to use oil.  

A sudden drop in oil though is indicative of a problem,  though my first instinct would be the problem is with the way it's measured than the actual level.   Pull the dip stick and measure it properly,  on level ground.   I've found the electronic dipstick to be very temperamental. 

13 minutes ago, Seagull Fan said:

Mike, not picking holes, but surely if something is not 'unexpected' then surely by definition it is 'expected' ?? 

I agree with Mike, that the perception is different.

If you have to top up irregularly, I wouldn't worry - but if you find yourself regularly feeding it top ups, that is something to check out.

With my previous Boxster, I never had mine drop a level on the electronic gauge despite have a very leaky RMS and my c4s (with a M96) doesn't seem to lose a drop.

When you have exactly the right amount in, I find the gauge is very sensitive if you stopped on the slightest incline but will always right itself once back on flat ground. 

Dipstick will indeed tell the truth of the matter - and of course the colour of the driveway the morning after.

21 minutes ago, Seagull Fan said:

Mike, not picking holes, but surely if something is not 'unexpected' then surely by definition it is 'expected' ?? 

Not at all.   Expected means they all do that so you expect to see the symptoms in all and all the time.   Not unexpected means some of them of do it and possibly some of the time  but not all of them all of the time.

Audis have a similar issue of oil use and they report the same thing,  it's not unexpected to use 1 litre per 5k miles ie that doesn't necessarily represent a problem however it doesn't mean they *should * use that much oil and if they don't,  that's not a problem either. 

found the information I spoke of earlier.. It's in the handbook technical data. It is actually greater that I recalled. It states engine oil consumption on a Boxster and Boxster S as being 'up to 1.5 litres per 1000 km'.

• 2 weeks later...

Your "w/e away" needs a bit precision. How many miles you have done since you checked the oil level was on top and now in the middle? The electronic gauge might not be super precise, you also have to check from dip/stick and make sure that the car is on a completely flat surface, if there is any tiny slope the electronic gauge goes abnormal.

The electronic gauge is better then the dipstick ime.

Worse case is one block out, given the same measuring conditions, which equates to roughly quarter of a litre.

You will never get this accurate with the dipstick.

I know my electronic gauge is extremely level dependant.  I normally turn the key to the first click when sat in the car in the garage which is nice and level. Since owning the car the level has not dropped at all - 9 months and maybe 3000 miles.  

If I check the level when the car is on my driveway which is not super level the gauge can read only half for example which was quite worrying the first time i noticed until I thought about the whole level situation.

Have to say mine doesn't ( touch wood ) use any, keep some in the boot as it seems most people do, but in 5000 miles nothing, even used the dip stick but that confirms what the electronic gauge says, was expecting it to use some as I've got to mobile 1 but clocked up 2500 miles so far, 

Archived