Porsche Jukebox on all Bose Systems ?

runner

Just curious, went to look at a car the other day, had the Bose upgraded system surround sound etc ... but I couldn't find the Jukebox GB on the car and the owner, rather strangely couldn't either but said he never used it ... so I'm just curious does ALL Bose upgraded sound systems from Porsche have or have not got the 40GB Hard drive option to copy too ?

Cheers in advance,

Not sure what generation car you're talking about but assume it is a 981.

Bose is to do with the output from the system, whereas whether or not you have the Jukebox depends on what the underlying system is. I believe that it is PCM (which includes the satnav) that gives you the Jukebox - whereas the (base) CDR or the 'CDR Plus' systems don't have it. But you could add the Bose system (amp & speakers) with any of those three options.

CDR Plus and PCM also give you the USB interface for playing music from memory sticks (which some will say is easier than using the Jukebox anyway) or an ipod, whereas the base CDR system just has an AUX socket for analogue input from eg an MP3 player, phone etc.

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

Can you copy CDs into the jukebox ?? Or is it just from usb sticks ?

cheers

You can't copy from CDs, only from a USB memory stick. (Even if the PCM could rip the CDs, it wouldn't have access to the ID3 metadata it needs to know what the track is, so that you could find it again.)

You can't copy music from an ipod onto the Jukebox either (I think that's because of the way Apple stores MP3 files on an ipod with scrambled filenames.)

I've not tried copying a cd directly to the jukebox but I would say I have found the jukebox very useful. I just loaded a load of albums onto a usb and copied them to the jukebox did a few batches at a time. I now have approx 200 albums on it, seems to work well, remembers where you were, pretty instant startup etc. 

The early 981s don't have the jukebox even with PCM. I they started to get fitted end of 2012, start of '13.

I'm in that boat and was somewhat peeved when I found out.  However  I just plugged in a decent sized USB stick and Hey Presto...a jukebox!!

I have found the jukebox to be extremely slow at transfer of music from USB sticks. I only use the jukebox because my USB port locks up and crashes intermittently with Ipod or USB stick attached (Ipod worse) but dealer said no fault present after checking it. Have tried different cables and also Ipod in different car, they are all O.K.I find the music system in the 981 a tad old fashioned to say the least !

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, GTB981 said:

I have found the jukebox to be extremely slow at transfer of music from USB sticks. I only use the jukebox because my USB port locks up and crashes intermittently with Ipod or USB stick attached (Ipod worse) but dealer said no fault present after checking it. Have tried different cables and also Ipod in different car, they are all O.K.I find the music system in the 981 a tad old fashioned to say the least !

When you say 'locks up and crashes', what exactly happens? I use an iPod and fairly often I find that it doesn't register the device on start up. If I unplug and re-plug once or twice it sees it and all is ok. Is that your experience?

When it happens now I just switch to Bluetooth streaming and select the iPod rather than faffing around in the glovebox plugging and unplugging. Usually next time round is sees as normal again.

1 hour ago, GTB981 said:

Fine on start up then randomly crashes. Unplug and put back in and works again for how ever long it chooses to........

Ok, so slightly different problem to mine then, once mine's seen the device it's fine and works for as long as tank of fuel will last!

I cant comment on the quality, but Apple music was just too confusing to me...couldn't ever figure out what was on my device or on the cloud and it never did upload all my music to the cloud either...cancelled it...we find Deezer to be quite easy to browse and use...and after a free year via Sonos, at renewal the £9.99 per month was slashed ot about £25 for the year for some reason!

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, Stark said:

Just on the music front, has anyone found Spotify to be of less quality sound than Apple Music?

I can notice a big difference 

You can change the streaming quality for Spotify.  On iOS, go to Settings > Streaming Quality and set to extreme.

Works well, no continued buffering etc.

Archived