How to understand your exhaust

chaz771

How to understand your exhaust? well cut it open!

IMAG2512_zpsy54hmm32.jpg

As you can see it is split into five chambers each with its own function. In the central chamber the gas's from both banks meet and diffuse and pressurise this section,

ether side of this they diffuse into the secondary chambers and gas is run to the opposing side and into the final exit chamber.

Not sure what Gert does but this is what I have planned for the 987 exhaust 

739971d1372541616-open-up-orginal-exhaus

Open up the original exhaust, remove cats and make it louder by enlarging the pipe and putting the exit closer to the flared tube. (pinched wholesale as an idea from Chris @ Fabspeed)

7 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Massively over engineering if you ask me, good old porker!

Agreed! this kind of system would give a fair bit of back pressure plus if you add the pipe lengths, the gas must have to travel maybe another 2m or more before being able to exit!

15 hours ago, chaz771 said:

Agreed! this kind of system would give a fair bit of back pressure plus if you add the pipe lengths, the gas must have to travel maybe another 2m or more before being able to exit!

So glad I've got an aftermarket back is. But also very tempted to do a back box  delete.

On 22/10/2016 at 10:23 AM, mike597 said:

So which bit  does gert remove? 

Not sure if he removes anything, I was under the impression/lead to believe that he just re-directs the flow of gases somewhere within the back box.

Guvs.

In this pic of my Carnewal you can see externally what has been cut and it gives and idea as to what is done.

The pic Chaz has done has been shown before on some of the U.S. forums. The U.S. exhaust looks pretty identical. 

I suspect Gert does away with the pipes that loop back trough the chambers so that the gas flows through more freely with less obstruction. The area cut on my exhaust suggests that's a viable option. 

8 hours ago, Jason986S said:

So glad I've got an aftermarket back is. But also very tempted to do a back box  delete.

Funny you speak of a delete, I was going to Frankenstein the old box by making use of just the in and out pipes and weld in two old gas bottles to act as cherry bombs, I'll let all know how my hideous  creation gets on.

Archived