What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Replaced both wiper blades - Driver's side OK, but passenger one didn't fit. Back to Halfords, then after the best part of an hour as one staff member struggled to find what he thought was the right one, even trying to modify the wrong blade fitting with the fixings of the original one! Second staff member looked at the pile of blades, went away, got another one walked out and fitted in less than 3 minutes! At least I got a £4 refund as it was cheaper than the wrong one!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:45 PM, Rev Ken said:

Replaced both wiper blades - Driver's side OK, but passenger one didn't fit. Back to Halfords, then after the best part of an hour as one staff member struggled to find what he thought was the right one, even trying to modify the wrong blade fitting with the fixings of the original one! Second staff member looked at the pile of blades, went away, got another one walked out and fitted in less than 3 minutes! At least I got a £4 refund as it was cheaper than the wrong one!

Why would you go to halfords for wiper blades, then let a cashier loose on your car?

Euro carparts, everytime.

27 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Why would you go to halfords for wiper blades, then let a cashier loose on your car?

I'd check teh price of blades between ECP and Halfords at the moment.  Even after the ECP or CP4L promo codes they are working out more than at Halfords at the moment.  Just don't pay for fitting!

Also if you have Shell G0 card or AA membership you get 10% off at Halfords.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I think I got mine from Amazon.

Got to remember the curved passenger blade.

I did have some expensive Valeo aero blade items, but they juddered. The very helpful Danny @ Revolution explained the error of my ways, I swapped to Bosch, spoiler on right, curved on left and he was absolutely spot on (as normal)

32 minutes ago, skullandbiscuits said:

Is Retrofitting facelift clear lights on a pre facelift frowned upon? Should one embrace the egg yolks?

Not that I know of.  Can really lift the car and make it feel a little more modern.  I actually went back to originals as I think the orange and blue go well.

Just keep the old ones if you can afford too, you can always go back and I can't see you losing money on lights if you buy them well.

2 hours ago, skullandbiscuits said:

Is Retrofitting facelift clear lights on a pre facelift frowned upon? Should one embrace the egg yolks?

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

No; do as you wish. Many have done already. Then some swapped them back later. 

Pre-facelift Litronic (Xenon) front units were always clear.

2 hours ago, skullandbiscuits said:

I think it depends on the colour of the car.  I have a Red car and the ambers look a bit lost against the Red.

7 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Because they were convenient and when I got the right passenger blade the guy fitted it no problem at no cost and I got £4 back, what is there not to like?🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I had Michelin PS4 fitted all-round, replacing the 11 year old Potenzas I was running.  I've not yet tested them properly as I want to check the pressures and scrub them for a few miles but even on my gentle drive home, it was like night and day.

Edited by kevs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kevs said:

Today I had Michelin PS4 fitted all-round, replacing the 11 year old Potenzas I was running.  I've not yet tested them properly as I want to check the pressures and scrub them for a few miles but even on my gentle drive home, it was like night and day.

You'll think you have a new car.  Have you done a full suspension refresh?  That will then make it better still if you haven't.

47 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You'll think you have a new car.  Have you done a full suspension refresh?  That will then make it better still if you haven't.

Not had a full refresh but a spring broke so I had new front springs and top mounts.  Looking forward to a nice drive this weekend.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, kevs said:

I had them on my 996.1 to replace 8 yo  Continentals and the  difference was similar to your experience. I shall consider them on my 986.2S but may look at the Goodyear F1s as I have them on my 2005 WRX and find them to be very good too 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, kevs said:

I replaced 11 year old Mich PS2s with Goodyear F1s. Oh yes, you'll notice the difference.

3 hours ago, Cybot7 said:

I had them on my 996.1 to replace 8 yo  Continentals and the  difference was similar to your experience. I shall consider them on my 986.2S but may look at the Goodyear F1s as I have them on my 2005 WRX and find them to be very good too 

To be fair any fresh rubber replacing 11-year-old rubber will be transformational.

58 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

To be fair any fresh rubber replacing 11-year-old rubber will be transformational.

I did have this thought at the back of my mind when weighing up the PS4 or a set of Khumo Ecsta 71s.  In the end, I decided that the £150 saving wasn't worth it over the course of 6-10 years.