What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

I've been getting the odd creak from right rear, (not suspension as it has all been done and it doesn't tie up with suspension load/movement) which started after doing the brake lines and I'd had the engine cover off.  Took cover off again and lithium greased all 5 turn locks (and the two tonneau locating pin sockets).

Whist I was in there I also reconnected two elasticated hooks that tension the roof liner that had become disconnected over time, elastic is nearly shot so may need to get needle and thread out and one of the loops on the roof skirt that the wires thread through needs some stitching to repair it too.  Not your usual mechanical skills required...

Gummi Pfleged the roof and tonneau seals too.

15 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Awesome. Did you meet the heatwave or avoid it?

Just avoided! Although it was 41deg in Saville, weather was great in Spain, less so once I approached the French border. Had aimed to do the whole thing with the roof down, which I almost achieved, until I got just south of Biarritz, when it absolutely poured down. Fine at 130kmh, although the water does just climb over the side windows slightly and into your face, but if you have to slow down......after 20mins decided enough was enough and went in for petrol and put it up. 10km later I put it down again. Then the same happened in England, but this time on the M25, not worth gambling that I wouldn't be held up there!

On 7/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, ½cwt said:

^^^

Think I've found what I needed here in the refitting instructions:

I tackled this job today to refit the back edge of my hood where the fabric appears to have pulled out.  The glue on the tape strips was shot which explained the movement, however not a particularly easy job and I think I'm going to need to do it again with a different d/s tape.  Should be easier and hopefully give a better result second time...

Removed the front bumper and A/C condensers and confirmed the n/s rad is leaking, so need to get one of those.

I intended to remove the bumper and clean the cr*p out, then fit mesh in the inlets, at the end of this summer but too late.

The rubbish sat in there has eaten the condensers away (now chucked in the bin) and the n/s rad.

Not bothered about the a/c not working, so wont replace condensers, at least for the moment.

My front bumper is really rough, but I think Ive found one locally to replace it, so just need to source or make mesh grills, and get the front end sorted out in one go.

Also just fitted a new battery on brother in laws beautiful 987 (ex Topbox car).

Will try and find time tomorrow to post pics of all the gunge that was in the rad scoops. It was a bit shocking to see.

Edited by Bradders59

Finally sorted a rear end creaking.  Coffin arm and toe link bolts not correctly torqued after tracking....  I usually check immediately after the tracking is done, but I was sure he took out a torque wrench after I'd told him 100Nm.  Moral, always check you nuts!

• Like 1

Ordered up spare door clips (they will commit suicide when I take the door cards off) and butyl tape (to reseal the inner membranes) so I can have a go at the final creaks/squeaks/rattles in the car this weekend.  They seem to be coming from the doors.  I think the glass is just a little loose where it sits in the regulators.  🤞

On 7/17/2023 at 5:32 PM, ½cwt said:

I tackled this job today to refit the back edge of my hood where the fabric appears to have pulled out.  The glue on the tape strips was shot which explained the movement, however not a particularly easy job and I think I'm going to need to do it again with a different d/s tape.  Should be easier and hopefully give a better result second time...

What tape did you try on the roof?

3 hours ago, edc said:

What tape did you try on the roof?

Some 3M VHB that I think was 5952 automotive acrylic foam tape with a pressure sensitive adhesive but I might go for 4910 clear tape instead.  The tape is slightly less of an issue than my alignment of the fabric as ultimately it is pretty strongly wedged in place by the rubber seal.

8 hours ago, edc said:

I was thinking to use bull dog clips to hold it all in and align 

The surface you'd clip to is one that needs the tape so it is only one hit really, unfortunately.  A second pair of hands might make it easier to align better.  A tape with better grab may help as VHB is pressure sensitive rather than grabby.

Edited by ½cwt

On 7/18/2023 at 5:38 PM, ½cwt said:

Ordered up spare door clips (they will commit suicide when I take the door cards off) and butyl tape (to reseal the inner membranes) so I can have a go at the final creaks/squeaks/rattles in the car this weekend.  They seem to be coming from the doors.  I think the glass is just a little loose where it sits in the regulators.  🤞

Got round to the job dodging the showers this morning, only had to peel back and upper part of the membrane to access the area I suspected of squeaking, the rubber gasket holding the glass to the regulator.  Applied a liberal aerosol spray of silicone lubricant to that and also to the edges where the door card meets the door.  And annoyingly only 1 clip committed suicide so I have 9 spares, they are cheap aftermarket BMW/Porsche ones so lees than £2 invested.

Test drive later will hopefully confirm the squeaking eliminated when I go to fill it up ready for our 5 day trip to IoW tomorrow.  Not predicting too much roof down time currently. ☹️

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Got round to the job dodging the showers this morning, only had to peel back and upper part of the membrane to access the area I suspected of squeaking, the rubber gasket holding the glass to the regulator.  Applied a liberal aerosol spray of silicone lubricant to that and also to the edges where the door card meets the door.  And annoyingly only 1 clip committed suicide so I have 9 spares, they are cheap aftermarket BMW/Porsche ones so lees than £2 invested.

Test drive later will hopefully confirm the squeaking eliminated when I go to fill it up ready for our 5 day trip to IoW tomorrow.  Not predicting too much roof down time currently. ☹️

Do you have a link for the clips please? My drivers door card flaps about a bit at the bottom so suspect there are very few clips holding it on.

27 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

Do you have a link for the clips please? My drivers door card flaps about a bit at the bottom so suspect there are very few clips holding it on.

Door Panel Clips, 10 Pcs Auto Body Fastener Universal Car Body Trim Clips, Compatible with Car Boots, Interior Doors or Trim Panels White Auto Bumper Fasteners Rivet Interior Trim Panel Retainers : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

They have a full circle on the top button to retain them where the Porsche ones are part cut away to allow then to be twisted into place where the locate in a hole rather than slot, but sone carful work with a scalpel or small scissors will get you there if necessary.  Bit of a bodge but it works and you get 10 for less than the price of one genuine one.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:32 AM, ½cwt said:

Test drive - squeaks gone, filled up at 159.7 for V Power yesterday.

Cruised down to Southampton ro cross to IoW, getting an almost astounding 30 mpg from a 3.2.

Topped up the power steering fluid and checked all drains - getting ready for the upcoming rece weekend.

Took the car for a great spin on the twisties roof down on the sunny weather.

Arrived back to the garage and as I was lifting hood back up, the cable(s) made a nasty sound - kind of like they would be twisted in to peaces. No screeching nor 'broken gears' sounds, but the roof & clamshell barely had power to close. Time for some repairs, so I ordered the updated gears, motor and cables. Should be many more years of well working hood after the parts arrive and I have chance to change those.

Now the weather is real nice, so I'll probaly make the hood working manually unit untill the repalcement parts arrive...