Prices for 550 Anniversary

chatuge

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Are you absolutely sure they're 550s? A lot are advertised on Autotrader that are not.

IMHO, yes 14k is overpriced for any clean 986.

Yes this one DEFINITELY is! Its got the dash plaque, right alloys, right painwork, badges, ABSOLUTELY everything is perfect! What do you think its worth?

In 2012 I bought a 12 year old S with 58k. It needed new brakes all round, ac condensers, nearly all suspension arms. In 2013 I bought an 11 year 550 with 105k. It's needed all the same stuff bar the condensers. Look past the A1 paintwork and look at the maintenance. If you're buying it to really drive hard and enjoy then you will want the brakes and suspension close to A1 and new enough. 

Er.... (as much as someone wants to pay for it....?)

I can't tell you about market values but I'm not sure if any perfect 986 would be more than 12k. There are arguments that low mileage is not as good as it seems, lots of sitting around unused, or short journeys. We have no idea how much it's been serviced, with rubber etc perishing from age if not from use. I personally don't see the 550 as so much better than the other MY04 S cars, it was a bigger airbox, lowered suspension and a party frock; other members here will see differently.  Then there is the 986 v 987 discussion; some think the latter, newer car is better all things being equal (front end, headroom, quieter, longer service intervals), others think the older car is better (feels a bit more raw, connected, dash styling) - that's personal taste, but there are a couple of 3.4 987s (high mileage admittedly) that have gone for 12k or even less to give you an idea. And to really stretch the man-maths, I think someone mentioned a 987.2 available at 16k if you look hard, though that wasn't an S.

Thank You Guys this is REALLY useful! I've just found another one with 60K miles with Tiptronic and FSH with GT1 and OPC for under £10k! That feels more like it doesn't it?

As a TOTAL off topic (and I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere) is the 3.2S really a lot better than the 2.7? I've totally discounted 987.1 as the only ones that I can find that I like teh history/condition of are the 2.7. Am I making a mistake?

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

Don't think I would drop over 10k for a 986. 

We'll remember that when your special one is up for sale ;)

3.2 v 2.7 - that tends to run and run.... I'd say the most notable difference is torque, so if you're used to a Honda S2000 you'll love the 2.7, while if you're used to a diesel or a V8 you won't.  The 987.1 is quite a different car to the 986, do make sure you're comfortable with your choice, eg over 6ft2 and/or as a daily driver you'll very probably prefer the 987.

39 minutes ago, chatuge said:

Thank You Guys this is REALLY useful! I've just found another one with 60K miles with Tiptronic and FSH with GT1 and OPC for under £10k! That feels more like it doesn't it?

As a TOTAL off topic (and I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere) is the 3.2S really a lot better than the 2.7? I've totally discounted 987.1 as the only ones that I can find that I like teh history/condition of are the 2.7. Am I making a mistake?

Apart from the Tiptronic that feels more like it. Look at the classifieds here and see the sale of Duffy's old 987.1 for a tip top car. I would not discount a car because it feels a bit rich but it's got to have the provenance and maintenance to back it up.

As for engine, better is entirely subjective but the 3.2 simply has a slug more torque across the rev range. There's going to be next to nothing in it from a running cost and reliability perspective.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

3.2 v 2.7 - that tends to run and run.... I'd say the most notable difference is torque, so if you're used to a Honda S2000 you'll love the 2.7, while if you're used to a diesel or a V8 you won't.  The 987.1 is quite a different car to the 986, do make sure you're comfortable with your choice, eg over 6ft2 and/or as a daily driver you'll very probably prefer the 987.

I agree with this I had a 2.7 987 and leg room was much better then in my current 986 3.2. 

With regards to the power, my 987 2,7 was a 245bhp and my 986 3.2 is 252, so power is very similar, however I would say the S feels slightly quicker. The drive is slightly more raw.

Go for the nicest example you can afford!

1 hour ago, edc said:

Apart from the Tiptronic that feels more like it. Look at the classifieds here and see the sale of Duffy's old 987.1 for a tip top car. I would not discount a car because it feels a bit rich but it's got to have the provenance and maintenance to back it up.

As for engine, better is entirely subjective but the 3.2 simply has a slug more torque across the rev range. There's going to be next to nothing in it from a running cost and reliability perspective.

Duffys cars sold in the last 24 hours i believe

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Thanks for that :lol:

I would take £10k if somebody wants to offer?! But when I come to sell, I won't be asking that for it. Thousands over the top. 

Archived