Cheap 718

Rufus

Was looking at boltons stock tonight and came across this 

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?cid=1

adding up those options in my head worked out to be 15 - 17k options give or take, which means they have really discounted this one !!

It's almost like they made a mistake with the pricing, hoping that's not a sign of what 718 values are gonna be like 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Toeside said:

The link isn't working Rufus

Lol

just realised, have a look at their used stock and their new pricing for the 718s 

thry have a base with 15 - 17k options up for 48 grand and a boxster s with similar options for 58 grand

seems like heavy discount which is surprising, those were demo cars last week as I had one while mine was being serviced

i just presumed they would sell em at list value, 

Just now, Toeside said:

That is a fruity discount and no waiting list. Strange.

Good buy for someone

Just speccing them now

its almost like they have knocked exactly 10k off the prices, both have about 17k in options.... can't figure out the leather prices so it may be more. 

starting to wonder if I need to cancel my order and grab a ex demo car now ...... 

seems strange as no,other OPCs are discounting their demo cars yet

Links to the cars I think you meant:

17 minutes ago, Rufus said:

compared with base price of £42k for the 2.0 and £51k for the 2.5S

(To generate links to specific cars found by the locator, you need to use the right-hand button underneath 'Contact Me' called 'copy Porsche link' - it shows the link you need to copy for that car.)

6 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Links to the cars I think you meant:

compared with base price of £42k for the 2.0 and £51k for the 2.5S

(To generate links to specific cars found by the locator, you need to use the right-hand button underneath 'Contact Me' called 'copy Porsche link' - it shows the link you need to copy for that car.)

Spot on, was wondering what I was doing wrong

cheers mate

23 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

9 month old cars 'carefully run in by journalists', with 'good' discounts.

Pass. 

Wouldn't have thought there were any journalists in bolton mate but I get what your saying, thrashed for a few months.  It still goes against the norm for boxsters and caymans...   981 demo cars went for list.  This is surprising tho, and I've got one on order lol

I`ve been watching 718 and 718S prices virtually every other day for a couple of months as I was thinking of changing in Spring from my 981. From what I`ve seen they aren`t selling well. Some have been for sale for some time now. I am now swaying to a GTS if I do change.

58 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

I`ve been watching 718 and 718S prices virtually every other day for a couple of months as I was thinking of changing in Spring from my 981. From what I`ve seen they aren`t selling well. Some have been for sale for some time now. I am now swaying to a GTS if I do change.

At the moment on the Porsche approved website, there amount of 981 and 718 s models for sale is about the same.    It seems like demands for 981 cars has increased as there used to be double the numbers of 981s available for sale.

2 hours ago, CPS said:

At the moment on the Porsche approved website, there amount of 981 and 718 s models for sale is about the same.    It seems like demands for 981 cars has increased as there used to be double the numbers of 981s available for sale.

Or it could be that because they're no longer making 981s the number of 981s available can only go down (at least short term, as they're not the kind of cars that are flipped quickly), whereas there's a steady supply of new 718s coming from the factory.

:)

4 hours ago, CPS said:

The buyers at dealers can always pick up cars.  If they were selling so well, the dealers would be buying more for stock, so I don't think that argument is valid.

FWIW I also wonder if non-metallic black on the base car, with stacks of options that not everyone would chose simply means its only going to be appealing at a good discsount?

BTW - I assumed "Market Launch Vehicles" meant press demo cars - hence my earlier comment, but happy to be corrected!

You may be right. But I don't think so!

The Mustang is The American Muscle Car, and the V8 outperforms the 2.3 Turbo by a wide margin.

The Boxster is, first and foremost, a 365 day's a year usable, driver's car. From my personal experience I'd say the 718 outshines the 981 in every area that should matter to the driver of such a car - excepting it sounds different, and I fully accept, to some, worse.

But to chose a car just on sound, ignoring ride, handling and performance, seems barmy to me.

Of course, only time will tell whether it is embraced or rejected by Porsche enthusiasts. Or maybe the brand will see its fan base shift ever so slightly?

Anyway, I hope we all love and enjoy the cars we chose.

Vive La Difference? :)

I must be the only one who thinks it sounds better, I've had my 981 for 5 months and then they gave me a bright yellow 718 for the week to try.  And I loved it !! However I did have a Subaru when I was a kid so like the deeper growl engine note that the 718 had.

Ordered one last week to replace the 981, no regrets from me, December delivery so I can enjoy next summer in the soft top and jump into my little 2 litre Cayman at xmas :-)

32 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I must be the only one who thinks it sounds better, I've had my 981 for 5 months and then they gave me a bright yellow 718 for the week to try.  And I loved it !! However I did have a Subaru when I was a kid so like the deeper growl engine note that the 718 had.

Ordered one last week to replace the 981, no regrets from me, December delivery so I can enjoy next summer in the soft top and jump into my little 2 litre Cayman at xmas :-)

You're not alone!

At full chat I think it sounds spot on.

Also, interestingly, I found that the fully run in 718 (to check out 20" wheel ride) I drove had a smoother cold idle tone than the low miles one I drove first.

Interesting on the sound. I had a 986 (still have - for sale, 71k miles, two owners from new, me for the last 11 years, Cobalt Blue / Blue leather / Blue roof) and there were two distinct howls at 3,000 and 5,000 RPM that sounded delicious. The 718 isn't worse, just different, but it pulls like a train at any speed in any sensible gear. You drive it more like a diesel, as the torque curve is flat from 1900 RPM onwards so there's no point in screaming the head off it. The deep bellow is the same over most of the rev range. I loved the flat 6 wail, but I also love the Flat Four Growl. It's a bit like looking at two beautiful women, one blonde and one brunette. They're both gorgeous, but in different ways.

When starting the car up in public, the snarl certainly does turn heads.

Archived