How much power can you squeeze out of a 986 Boxster S?

vroomba

Good fun video but you haven't really got a full before and after picture if the first dyno run isn't the standard car. 

You drive there in a standard exhaust Boxster?

seems you could have played a little of your exhaust note and little of his for comparison... assuming he'd have let you start his car. 

Also, didn't you do a comparison with a fast fiesta? Couldn't you have done a roll on and a standing start acceleration test on a closed road with permission, obviously ? 

I just think the above might bring the video to life a bit. Nice work though?

I'd also add there's arguably more to be had from that car as it looks like it only has an aftermarket rear box. The real gains are in the manifolds and cats.

£1500 for a back box sounds kinda strong? I had a bespoke cat back system made with a lifetime guarantee for under a third of that. Though this was north of Watford gap ?

Ask @mavis.d about 3D printed Plenum, 996 throttle body and under drive pulley conversion. Now you're talking Value and performance you can feel. I've been out with his modded car and it's "very capable" ???

That US printed plenum is not "value". The real value is a normal 996 one at £35. 

7 hours ago, edc said:

I'd also add there's arguably more to be had from that car as it looks like it only has an aftermarket rear box. The real gains are in the manifolds and cats.

This is a full stainless system with cats and manifolds. 

Watched it again last night and tbh i was even more underwhelmed. Whoever is doing the mapping really needs to sort that out as the power curve is awful. 

Also how can you tell what mods make what difference when the car you're featuring has several mods already done? The feature would have been a lot better if one mod had been done at a time and you could see the actual gains from each. Even better if it had been done to the original car in the series as you had a base figure from a few episodes back.

And to have a base figure which matches stock after all those mods already done doesn't really make me want to rush out and change a lot on my car if i'm being really honest.

4 minutes ago, That986 said:

Watched it again last night and tbh i was even more underwhelmed. Whoever is doing the mapping really needs to sort that out as the power curve is awful. 

Also how can you tell what mods make what difference when the car you're featuring has several mods already done? The feature would have been a lot better if one mod had been done at a time and you could see the actual gains from each. Even better if it had been done to the original car in the series as you had a base figure from a few episodes back.

And to have a base figure which matches stock after all those mods already done doesn't really make me want to rush out and change a lot on my car if i'm being really honest.

Perhaps wait to see the rest of the story before judging it too much. 

I think you're forgetting that this isn't being advertised as an end-to-end 'if I do this, these are the exact results I get'. Everyone's cars will perform differently depending on a range of factors.

It follows part of an owners journey, and this video talks about only one part of it. 

26 minutes ago, C11RJC said:

I think you're forgetting that this isn't being advertised as an end-to-end 'if I do this, these are the exact results I get'. Everyone's cars will perform differently depending on a range of factors.

This is supposed to be an informative video though (the rest of the series is excellent, i do sub to it) and tbh it's something i will be looking into soon, but because so much has been done already you have no idea what mod has done what. 

The video would have been far better if the mods had been done to Neil's car or somebody with an absolutely stock car for a good baseline. A heap of info would have been gained which would be a lot more helpful for more people, myself included as these are real world mods most of us would do or think about.

Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't worry about the absolute start and finish power numbers per se. What you want to focus on is the increase. Whilst the cars are rated engine power wise all cars will have a base line which is different, especially now at 10+ years old. We've shown this through various rolling roads days in the past.

I've done the base line then dyno after each set of mods and had the graph all laid onto one so you can see the full effect. It's been posted before. if the exhaust system is already on the car then it's impossible to know what effect it's really having. The other good thing about the dyno after a mod is you get to check the AFR and fueling. You can check if you might do some damage of if there are further improvements to be made by another mod or remap.

@Mark Shead has shown on his car that you can skim the heads and go 3.4 on a standard S map and it will cope.

I love how someone offer some info for free and the critics immediately pounce on the OP for not doing it the way they would like to see it done.

I don't see any of you contributing pounds to pay for the dyno time!

13 minutes ago, mikefocke said:

I love how someone offer some info for free and the critics immediately pounce on the OP for not doing it the way they would like to see it done.

I don't see any of you contributing pounds to pay for the dyno time!

I understand your sentiment but without independent figures to back up the modifications there is nothing credible about the modifications.

I've seen it before.  Company X, Y, and Z advertise that their products add 10, 15, and 20 hp to a car so someone fits them and then says that his car is up to 295hp from 260hp.  I've seen cars like this on the rollers only producing 275hp <sarcasm mode on>yet the rollers must be wrong because companies don't exaggerate figures just to sell their products. <mode off>

The figures are independent insofar as the mods done are not sold by the dyno and the dyno operator, I assume, has no idea what mods are there. That's certainly the case for my car. 

Thanks for the feedback guys.   Would have like to have done this to my Boxster but as it's a Tip it doesn't dyno.  Richard contacted me and although it's have been nice if he had a stock Boxster I thought it could still be of use/entertainment to someone to see his journey.

11 minutes ago, vroomba said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.   Would have like to have done this to my Boxster but as it's a Tip it doesn't dyno.  Richard contacted me and although it's have been nice if he had a stock Boxster I thought it could still be of use/entertainment to someone to see his journey.

Definitely still entertaining. As per my YT comment, I enjoy the pieces to camera Vlogs, which give us a nice round update of your current thoughts, upcoming features and content you're following etc. 

Decent Boxster content is fairly hard to come by

Well you don't want it at risk of running lean at max revs and in theory the car will make best power a little richer than 14.7:1. Also helps keep exhaust gas temps down. 12:1 isn't overly rich as such but if the mapper did the job right then they would have tweaked this to see where it made the best safe power. 

What map is on there though? Is t mapped for 98 or 95 fuel for example? 

It's a standard Stage 1 map by Revo but I've no idea what they've actually changed.  They didn't put it on a rolling road to change the parameters which I expected they just uploaded a new file to the ECU.  To me this feels like it may be fine if the file was designed for a stock setup or known mods but will risk making the car worse if you've modified it in a different way?

Anyone know what parameters can be changed on the stock DME 7.8 ECU?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived