NC 500

martyn

Hi all,

Thinking about driving the North Coast 500 but haven't set any dates yet, has anybody on here done it? Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Work is not a problem, so very flexible date wise. although based on advice gleaned from the internet we are leaning towards May. But, Ideally because of the changeable weather it would be nice to wait and check the following weeks weather and zoom up there when there is good conditions whenever that would be. However, booking hotels at short notice would be difficult as they are probably booked up well in advance.

Thinking of a 2 day drive up to Inverness stopping overnight outside Newcastle, 1 Night in Inverness then a further 3 or 4 days to complete route and 2 days back, Again staying overnight around Newcastle.

It would be great if anyone has already completed it and/or still has their itinerary to hand and could recommend hotels etc with particular the security of the onsite parking!

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Im tempted by this also but may stick the tent in the boot!

lol I am sure I've read that you don't need any permissions to do this, within reason you can camp where you like, it would suit me, but Mrs H would not be impressed?‍♀️

Yes pretty much camp where you want in Scotland as long as you are sensible about it. Would be good to do a luxury version as well mind and yes no doubt sure the missus would appreciate it :D How long you thinking of taking to do it? 

Ive only been up as far as Gairloch. Applecross peninsula was lovely as were the Islands. Would recommend a bit of Island hopping on west coast on way up

1 minute ago, Topbox said:

Fairly extensive thread here: 

Thanks will check it out.?

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Yes pretty much camp where you want in Scotland as long as you are sensible about it. Would be good to do a luxury version as well mind and yes no doubt sure the missus would appreciate it :D How long you thinking of taking to do it? 

Ive only been up as far as Gairloch. Applecross peninsula was lovely as were the Islands. Would recommend a bit of Island hopping on west coast on way up

Pretty flexible, roughly 7 or 8 days total, including commute! So about 4 days on actual route.

Not done the whole NC500 but did part of the route up the west coast a few years ago with the kit car guys. Plenty of B&Bs if you time your route right, sensible prices and much more comfortable. Applecross and the road after is good, as is the  old road up to Mallaig if you're doing a ferry trip over to Skye. I'm told from the guys who did it last year the road from Ullapool up to Durness is an absolute dream.

It's something on my list of things to do with the Boxster but this year is out due to an impending house move. So might be next year for me I'm afraid.

We did the whole route last July in our BGTS, we used B&B's staying two nights in each to allow time to explore a bit on the way, we did it anti clockwise but either way is fine.  We had two nights at Dornoch, Thurso and Rhiconich.  After six nights we rented a cottage near Contin for a week and did the last section below Ullapool on days out from there.

All the accommodation we got from the NC500 web site, not many would want to take as long as we did but we enjoyed the flexibility of not having to drive a leg each day and do other things.  BTW there is no guarantee of good weather even in July we had several wet days.

its a great drive with everything from fast open roads to single track lanes, and not much traffic even in July - the only place that was really busy was Applecross ( in the village not the drive there).

I would be happy to look up the names of the B&Bs we used if it would help.

A tip I would strongly recommend if you have time is instead of going up and back on the A9, to drive from Perth through Glenshee and Braemar to Grantown on Spey then on to Inverness, then on the way home go via Fort William and Glencoe to Loch Lomond, or turn off a bit earlier towards Stirling to pick up the motorway south.  Fantastic scenery!

35 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

We did the whole route last July in our BGTS, we used B&B's staying two nights in each to allow time to explore a bit on the way, we did it anti clockwise but either way is fine.  We had two nights at Dornoch, Thurso and Rhiconich.  After six nights we rented a cottage near Contin for a week and did the last section below Ullapool on days out from there.

All the accommodation we got from the NC500 web site, not many would want to take as long as we did but we enjoyed the flexibility of not having to drive a leg each day and do other things.  BTW there is no guarantee of good weather even in July we had several wet days.

its a great drive with everything from fast open roads to single track lanes, and not much traffic even in July - the only place that was really busy was Applecross ( in the village not the drive there).

I would be happy to look up the names of the B&Bs we used if it would help.

If you could let me know the B&Bs you stayed in and could recommend, I would be very grateful?

Thanks.

Yes the average speed sections of the A9 will drive you nuts! However the speed enforcement has been very effective in reducing deaths on that road which we have to be thankful for.:)

10 hours ago, martyn said:

If you could let me know the B&Bs you stayed in and could recommend, I would be very grateful?

Thanks.

pm sent.

3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I'm waiting for my suggested route back from North Coast 500 Members Club. Their website is a mine of information.

I'm going in May

Yes, it's a very good web site John.  It would be interesting to see what routes they suggest, but I would say it depends how much time you allow for the trip.  I've been to north Scotland many times but last summer was the first time doing the full NC 500 in one holiday.  There are many options including how much time you allow for exploring on the 500 route, but I would say a must is the A82 from Fort William through Glen Coe and  Rannoch Moor, south of Tyndrum various detours can be added as most of Argyle is very scenic, personally I wouldn't stay on the A82 past Loch Lomond as it tends to be busy and it's tight and twisty in places - much nicer to go round by Garelochhead to Glasgow.  On the East side to or from Inverness the A9 is OK (apart from the average speed cameras), or my favourite alternative is the A93 between Perth and Ballater and the A939 North from Ballater then pick up the A9 at Carrbridge.  This is just my tuppeny worth - others will suggest different as there are loads of options.

1 hour ago, Gorsh said:

Yes, it's a very good web site John.  It would be interesting to see what routes they suggest, but I would say it depends how much time you allow for the trip.  I've been to north Scotland many times but last summer was the first time doing the full NC 500 in one holiday.  There are many options including how much time you allow for exploring on the 500 route, but I would say a must is the A82 from Fort William through Glen Coe and  Rannoch Moor, south of Tyndrum various detours can be added as most of Argyle is very scenic, personally I wouldn't stay on the A82 past Loch Lomond as it tends to be busy and it's tight and twisty in places - much nicer to go round by Garelochhead to Glasgow.  On the East side to or from Inverness the A9 is OK (apart from the average speed cameras), or my favourite alternative is the A93 between Perth and Ballater and the A939 North from Ballater then pick up the A9 at Carrbridge.  This is just my tuppeny worth - others will suggest different as there are loads of options.

Hi Gordon..I'll let you know when they get back in touch!

Did it last year and it the best road trip I've ever done, started of with 13 of us then down to 7.

We basically did 

Midlands to Gretna (Stayed at Smiths Gretna i think)

Gretna to Crieff Hydro Hotel 

Crieff Hydro to Apple Cross (Lunch at Apple Cross Inn) - Apple Cross to Inverness McDonald Hotel

Then Inverness to Tongue (NC500 - Lunch at John O'Groats)

Tongue to Shieldaig 

Then the long haul Shieldaig back to the Midlands - This was so long, never again, add more stops.

To be honest, when i do it in 2018, as there is a group of us, we will put the car on a transporter and fly up, it really killed the trip having a 10 hour drive home. 

Oh we did it in first weekend of October - nothing but sunshine and 17 - 20 degress!!

Just got my suggested route from the North Coast 500 Members Club. Fantastic organising! I'll let you know, Gordon, the hotels and route they suggest but it looks awesome! Well worth using particularly if, like me ,its your first time.

John I have my NC 500 trip penciled in now for a week starting April 28th till May 5th Seen the NC 500 site it's excellent. Have done a bit of planning but will just get the accomadation sorted and then take each day as it comes. Have a mate in Edinburgh so will start in earnest from there and go clockwise. Will keep you posted.

3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Just got my suggested route from the North Coast 500 Members Club. Fantastic organising! I'll let you know, Gordon, the hotels and route they suggest but it looks awesome! Well worth using particularly if, like me ,its your first time.

John, I would appreciate the info as well. Thanks Martyn.

18 hours ago, jayk said:

Did it last year and it the best road trip I've ever done, started of with 13 of us then down to 7.

We basically did 

Midlands to Gretna (Stayed at Smiths Gretna i think)

Gretna to Crieff Hydro Hotel 

Crieff Hydro to Apple Cross (Lunch at Apple Cross Inn) - Apple Cross to Inverness McDonald Hotel

Then Inverness to Tongue (NC500 - Lunch at John O'Groats)

Tongue to Shieldaig 

Then the long haul Shieldaig back to the Midlands - This was so long, never again, add more stops.

To be honest, when i do it in 2018, as there is a group of us, we will put the car on a transporter and fly up, it really killed the trip having a 10 hour drive home. 

Oh we did it in first weekend of October - nothing but sunshine and 17 - 20 degress!!

Thanks for your detailed information, I must admit the prospect of driving from the east coast to Inverness in one go is too daunting, we would have to have an overnight stop probably around Newcastle, it's only me driving as the better half is 'out of her comfort zone'?

Gordon and Martin

The route they have devised for me is;

Day1 Inverness to Dornoch, staying at the Dorncoch Castle Hotel

Day 2 Dornoch to Thurso, staying at Forss House Hotel

Day 3 Thurso to Durness, staying at Mackays Hotel

Day 4 Durness to Lochinver, staying at The Inver Lodge Hotel

Day 5 Lochinver to Loch Torridon, staying at The Torridon Hotel

Day 6 Loch Torridon to Inverness.

Plenty to do at the various locations too!

Archived