NC 500

martyn

14 minutes ago, martyn said:

Thanks John,much appreciated ?

No problem Martyn. I'm really looking forward to it. Looking to book hotels soon, have sorted out our dates. Hope it helps!

On 1/22/2017 at 7:57 AM, JohnSyn said:

Gordon and Martin

The route they have devised for me is;

Day1 Inverness to Dornoch, staying at the Dorncoch Castle Hotel

Day 2 Dornoch to Thurso, staying at Forss House Hotel

Day 3 Thurso to Durness, staying at Mackays Hotel

Day 4 Durness to Lochinver, staying at The Inver Lodge Hotel

Day 5 Lochinver to Loch Torridon, staying at The Torridon Hotel

Day 6 Loch Torridon to Inverness.

Plenty to do at the various locations too!

That sounds like quite a holiday, I'm trying to get some time for this year but would do the NC500 in 3 days i think.

@JohnSyn Your route looks great and is very doable without rushing, so you should have time to see some attractions on the way.  The NC500 site has loads on their interactive map.  We particularly enjoyed visiting Duncansby Head (walk along the clifftops to see the stacks), John O'Groats, Castle of Mey, Dunnett Head (most northerly point on mainland), Smoo Cave at Durness, and Inverewe Gardens.  Also, if you have time don't forget to take in two different routes through the Highlands to and from Inverness (in one of my earler posts).

We have just booked a July holiday, a week on Skye (booked a cottage) plus a week spread between Perth, Inverness and Thurso.

57 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

@JohnSyn Your route looks great and is very doable without rushing, so you should have time to see some attractions on the way.  The NC500 site has loads on their interactive map.  We particularly enjoyed visiting Duncansby Head (walk along the clifftops to see the stacks), John O'Groats, Castle of Mey, Dunnett Head (most northerly point on mainland), Smoo Cave at Durness, and Inverewe Gardens.  Also, if you have time don't forget to take in two different routes through the Highlands to and from Inverness (in one of my earler posts).

We have just booked a July holiday, a week on Skye (booked a cottage) plus a week spread between Perth, Inverness and Thurso.

Thanks Gordon, good info

I'm thinking of doing something like the NC500, a trip to Scotland to drive around a bit. One question, how good is the breakdown coverage in Scotland? I'm looking to buy a policy and was wondering whether to go with AA or RAC?

16 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Booked all the hotels now! Really looking forward to it!

Great stuff John have a great time?

Have my trip planned and booked now. Taking the the end of April, begining of May. Stopping of at Edinburgh on the way up with a friend, then my overnights are as follows, going clockwise:

Lochcarron - Ullapool - Durness - Wick - Ardvasar which is on Skye opposite Malliaig.

Will take the ferry over to Malliag, drive down to Irvine near Ayr to break the journey back to Hertfordshire. Not quite the "approved" loop but it fits well for me, as I wanted a ferry trip and to see just a little of Skye.  Have made good use of this thread and similar, so thanks to all who have contributed.

38 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Will take the ferry over to Malliag, drive down to Irvine near Ayr ....

When driving from Mallaig to Fort William, turn off the A830 and go through the Back of Keppoch and Arisaig, nice twisty road and great views of clear blue sea and white sands

https://goo.gl/maps/Cq77iBweJJo

Thanks @CMA I will do that. Further on I plan to turn off the A830 at Lochailort and loop around on the A861 and take the Corran ferry. Going to then avoid the A82 untill I cut across to a stretch on the southern part of Loch Lomond. It looks fun on the map!

18 hours ago, Topbox said:

Have my trip planned and booked now. Taking the the end of April, begining of May. Stopping of at Edinburgh on the way up with a friend, then my overnights are as follows, going clockwise:

Lochcarron - Ullapool - Durness - Wick - Ardvasar which is on Skye opposite Malliaig.

Will take the ferry over to Malliag, drive down to Irvine near Ayr to break the journey back to Hertfordshire. Not quite the "approved" loop but it fits well for me, as I wanted a ferry trip and to see just a little of Skye.  Have made good use of this thread and similar, so thanks to all who have contributed.

Nice trip Bob! I know you guys have been before but this is Jan and my first trip. I'm sure we will do more!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NC500 booked for April 2017. Can’t wait. If anyone has any recommendations for ‘things not to miss’ then please do tell. So far the trip consists of driving and eating!

Grimsby – Inverary 342m
Inverary – Torridon 209m
Torridon – Lochinver 121m
Lochinver – Bettyhill 100m
Bettyhill – Mey 42m
Mey – Invergordon 104m
Invergordon – Eshott 282m

Hoping there's still snow on them mountains. May pass some of you on the roads.

@ChrisSk you've probably looked but loads of places to visit on the NC500 web site.  We liked Invereue Gardens, Smoo Cave, Dunnet Head, Castle of Mey, Duncansby Head, plus loads of great viewpoints along the way to stop and stretch your legs and soak up the views.

Archived