70 mph (and no more). A 718S acceleration thread.

Biat

After taking it easy for a while I decided time was right to open the throttle up today between Helmsley and Sutton Bank.

I know the linear nature of the delivery gets knocked occasionally but the pull is absolutely fantastic. No discernible lag from turbo and the steady and relentless power is a joy to experience.  The power combined with the handling capabilities is excellent.

Yup, the F4T delivery is fantastic; the phrase 'pulls like a train' comes to mind.

I'm so very much looking forward to mine. The biggest pain will then be the 2000 mile run in period!

My plan is to go on a week's road trip with the missus, perhaps up to the Lakes, to get a significant proportion of it done on some nice long runs with the engine up to temperature for as many miles as possible.

11 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

Yup, the F4T delivery is fantastic; the phrase 'pulls like a train' comes to mind.

I'm so very much looking forward to mine. The biggest pain will then be the 2000 mile run in period!

My plan is to go on a week's road trip with the missus, perhaps up to the Lakes, to get a significant proportion of it done on some nice long runs with the engine up to temperature for as many miles as possible.

Break in hints for the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers) 
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche.

Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the moving parts must still wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2,000 miles (3,000 km).

Therefore:

• Preferably take longer trips.CHECK
  • Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.
  • Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
  • Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm (revolutions per minute).
  • Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.
  • Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range).
  • Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
  • Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers).

There may be a slight stiffness in the steering, gear-shifting or other controls during the break-in period which will gradually disappear.

54 minutes ago, spyderman8 said:

"Do not let the engine labour..." - would the PDK software know that? I doubt it.

You think the default PDK behaviour would be to let/make the engine labour? I seriously doubt it.

[edit] I will keep an open mind and see when I get the car.

17 hours ago, Gee-money said:

I've just ordered a S but I also have a R26r with 320 torque so it's got a lot to live up to when it arrives. It will be interesting to see which one is quicker on a rolling start as the R is running more boost than the 718......I'll keep you all posted!

R26.R - brillant car.  Not underrated by those who know, but but those who don't.  I can't believe how fast they are - on boost they are quicker than the specs suggest!

Front wheel drive mini GT3 is no joke!!

Mégane Renaultsport 275 Trophy-R specifications

• Price: £36,430
  • Engine: 1998cc, 4 cylinders
  • Power: 271bhp @ 5500rpm
  • Torque: 265lb ft @ 3000rpm
  • Transmission: 6-speed manual
  • Performance: 0-62mph in 5.8sec
  • Top speed: 158mph
  • Fuel: 37.7mpg (combined)
  • CO2: 174g/km

Would be nice if the PDK could be set to up shift at 4200 so I don't have to pay too much attention.... Then again in my last few Porsches I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to running in. Probably because it would take me nearly 6 months to do 2000 miles and I have a 5000 mile per year limit.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

From @boxsternoob56 post

Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers).

Do they not use new cars for the Porsche Experience then?

I can't imagine then lasting long there. After a few months of being hammered on the b road track, doing hundreds of launch control demonstrations it wouldn't make much difference if they were run in or not.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

R26.R - brillant car.  Not underrated by those who know, but but those who don't.  I can't believe how fast they are - on boost they are quicker than the specs suggest!

Front wheel drive mini GT3 is no joke!!

Someone knows there cars....

3 hours ago, spyderman8 said:

"Do not let the engine labour..." - would the PDK software know that? I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

You think the default PDK behaviour would be to let/make the engine labour? I seriously doubt it.

[edit] I will keep an open mind and see when I get the car.

I believe there are various parameters to reach before this kicks in a bit like the stop/start function.

2 hours ago, Mike Cad said:

I can't imagine then lasting long there. After a few months of being hammered on the b road track, doing hundreds of launch control demonstrations it wouldn't make much difference if they were run in or not.

Fortunately they all get the 111 point check before being sold as a one owner Porsche Approved car.;)

3 hours ago, mneil said:

Mégane Renaultsport 275 Trophy-R specifications

• Price: £36,430
  • Engine: 1998cc, 4 cylinders
  • Power: 271bhp @ 5500rpm
  • Torque: 265lb ft @ 3000rpm
  • Transmission: 6-speed manual
  • Performance: 0-62mph in 5.8sec
  • Top speed: 158mph
  • Fuel: 37.7mpg (combined)
  • CO2: 174g/km

And?

On 15/01/2017 at 11:07 AM, Whaleblue said:

Well, that's exactly what it does do, isn't it? I heads for the highest gear as soon as possible so you find yourself in 6th doing 30mph, or it changes up going uphill. Its all part of its economy programme.

18 hours ago, spyderman8 said:

Well, that's exactly what it does do, isn't it? I heads for the highest gear as soon as possible so you find yourself in 6th doing 30mph, or it changes up going uphill. Its all part of its economy programme.

As far as I'm aware labouring an engine is not fuel efficient is it? I don't believe so, hence my skepticism.

I’ll be sure to keep an eye/ear open for it though, and might have to run-in in sport mode on a light throttle!

3 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

I’ll be sure to keep an eye/ear open for it though, and might have to run-in in sport mode on a light throttle!

That would certainly help - cuts out stop/start too.

Starting and stopping a car while cold is one of the things that can accelerate engine wear drastically. The auto stop/start on my 981 will cut the engine after 100 yards in the morning if I let it.:suicide_anim: 

BTW I think this is my 3000th post :beer:

2 hours ago, topradio said:

Starting and stopping a car while cold is one of the things that can accelerate engine wear drastically. The auto stop/start on my 981 will cut the engine after 100 yards in the morning if I let it.:suicide_anim: 

BTW I think this is my 3000th post :beer:

...and most of them have been good ones too :thumbsup_still:

Archived