Which Radio

corky22

Hi gents, I'm after some opinions and advice.

My 1986 986 2.5 came to me with  aftermarket sony cd radio. I also have amp and cd changer in the car which currently don't do anything

I'm thinking of replacing the headunit for original ,(either CDR 22 or CDR 23, I think), to get both amp and changer working again, (and the correct colour lighting which bugs me)

Is it plug and play ? .

Can anyone whos done this or changed from original to aftermarket give me their thoughts., please

Any recommendations on which original headunit to get ?.

Anyone got one for sale ?

Cheers in advance

Assuming the previous owner used a wiring harness adaptor for the aftermarket unit it should be plug and play. The original headunits while they look original are mainly shyate so if looks are important why not get another aftermarket unit that is more in keeping.

A Sony radio/CD player was an at cost factory upgrade option for the early Boxsters.  I have a Sony face off radio/CD fitted from new in my 1998 model.

Unless your Sony is not period i.e it's too new for the model year then you're probably removing the correct head unit for the car.

What Sony model is it?

I disagree regarding the original units being rubbish, mine is the original Becker radio/tape player with 6 cd changer in the front boot.

the radio is excellent, as is the cd changer, yes it's not Bluetooth etc but I don't need that as I have a separate hands free unit. And I'm not bothered about plugging an iPod in, if I did I would use the FM transmitter from Belkin which I have.

Hi Corky22, I have a CDR-23 up for sale which came out of my 986 facelift as I wanted to be able to play my iPod through the system. So I installed a Sony, which incidentally could be set different colours including Orange as l also wanted it all to match!

In my opinion the head is ok, it's the speakers that let the system down as I only had the dash speakers.

Before you buy a unit from me or anyone else do a bit more research, I think there is a thread on here somewhere, as I seem to recall the unit needs to be linked to the specific car.

Contact me if you are still interested in buying the unit.

7 hours ago, the baron said:

I disagree regarding the original units being rubbish, mine is the original Becker radio/tape player with 6 cd changer in the front boot.

the radio is excellent, as is the cd changer, yes it's not Bluetooth etc but I don't need that as I have a separate hands free unit. And I'm not bothered about plugging an iPod in, if I did I would use the FM transmitter from Belkin which I have.

Got to be honest I have the same set up with door speakers I don't consider myself knowledgeable on ICE but the sound quality is poor compared to my Mercedes of the same vintage (IMO)

You do tend to get a better sound quality with just a simple swap to a more modern head unit unless you buy a real budget basement one. 

You can upgrade your dash speakers to improve the sound from the original headunit, I'm not overly fussed about the sound, although I have go the new upgraded dash speakers and rear storage box conversion.

I used a $2 bluetooth AUX cable/sender so I can stream anything via the CDR22 and a separate Bluetooth handsfree set up, works fine for what I want.

9 hours ago, Terryg said:

Got to be honest I have the same set up with door speakers I don't consider myself knowledgeable on ICE but the sound quality is poor compared to my Mercedes of the same vintage (IMO)

I might have better speakers, they are the Nokia ones in the door, not sure what's on the dash but have 6speakers in total, the sound quality is excellent, but it is a convertible so it's never going to have the clarity of a Mercedes with all its sound proofing

Just now, the baron said:

I might have better speakers, they are the Nokia ones in the door, not sure what's on the dash but have 6speakers in total, the sound quality is excellent, but it is a convertible so it's never going to have the clarity of a Mercedes with all its sound proofing

Yep all very valid points, it's not terrible just not what you would expect of a Porsche.

Archived