Exhaust pops and crackles

718as

I'm very new to the car and slowly getting used to it, but today I drove in normal mode and left it in drive, I agree super quiet and no pops and bangs. Last stretch I pressed the button and yes I can hear them now especially when using the paddles. The car is quite refined with the top up.

I mentioned it to the supplying dealer and they've booked it into my local dealer for a check for me.

Thanks for your help everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 3:03 PM, Greenman said:

b,)  found PSE droney at cruising speeds (more apparent with PDK apparently).

I suspect that is more to do with the 'coasting' feature on PDK cutting the engine revs when there's no load on the engine.  I don't really notice the PSE 'drone' when in Sports mode - even when cruising, but in normal mode and the when the engine cuts back in after coasting, then it suddenly becomes noticeable with the change in background noise/tone coming from the exhaust.  I had PSE on my 987S, and put PSE as a must have option when buying my 981 - glad I did as on the 981 it's taken the aural experience to completely new level.  I've also heard from OPC guys that the GTS sound is another step up from the S/PSE again - presumably if that's true it must be down to tweaks in engine management as otherwise I thought the physical bits are the same in both S and GTS.

The GTS has additional equipment to vent the noise the cabin enhancing the experience......

"It sure will sound faster, even compared to an S with the Sport exhaust. That's because the GTS is the only Boxster/Cayman to get what Porsche calls a sound symposer along with the tailpipe butterfly valves. The symposer routes sound from the engine's intake to a vent-like grate behind your seat. Yeah, it's a sound tube, but it's the best sound tube I've ever heard. And I was already sold on the basic Sport exhaust before this improvement."

There are plenty of cars out there (usually turbos which lose exhaust noise) that have "fake" noise created (eg BMW's through the speakers!), at least the GTS is natural sound. It's on a par with my 993 (RSR boxes and Schofield remap both of which are needed to get the best sound from the 993). I neve thought a kettle would sound as good as my aircooled engine ;-)

Source....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/reviews/a6323/2015-porsche-cayman-boxster-s-and-gts-first-drive-road-test-review/

5 hours ago, Pandy said:

I suspect that is more to do with the 'coasting' feature on PDK cutting the engine revs when there's no load on the engine.

I think it's more to do with the different gearing of the PDK vs manual, for motorway cruising this puts revs in the 2000-2500 range in the PDK which is prime drone area, whereas the manual is in the higher 2k range.  It's something that very much depends on the type of mileage you do and it seems some are just more sensitive to it than others.

As for the GTS noise, there is nothing wrong with directing a bit of noise to the cabin as long as it's naturally generated noise.  My previous car artificially generated noise through the stereo - ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Jonttt said:

The GTS has additional equipment to vent the noise the cabin enhancing the experience......

"It sure will sound faster, even compared to an S with the Sport exhaust. That's because the GTS is the only Boxster/Cayman to get what Porsche calls a sound symposer along with the tailpipe butterfly valves. The symposer routes sound from the engine's intake to a vent-like grate behind your seat. Yeah, it's a sound tube, but it's the best sound tube I've ever heard. And I was already sold on the basic Sport exhaust before this improvement."

There are plenty of cars out there (usually turbos which lose exhaust noise) that have "fake" noise created (eg BMW's through the speakers!), at least the GTS is natural sound. It's on a par with my 993 (RSR boxes and Schofield remap both of which are needed to get the best sound from the 993). I neve thought a kettle would sound as good as my aircooled engine ;-)

Source....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/reviews/a6323/2015-porsche-cayman-boxster-s-and-gts-first-drive-road-test-review/

If you look at this thread you can see it. It must be something you can retrofit with a gts airbox, although I've seen lots of people complaining about it and blocking the pipe.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/96990-i-want-sound-symposer-2.html#/topics/96990?_k=o14cgl

7 hours ago, daz05 said:

If you look at this thread you can see it. It must be something you can retrofit with a gts airbox, although I've seen lots of STUPID people complaining about it and blocking the pipe.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/96990-i-want-sound-symposer-2.html#/topics/96990?_k=o14cgl

I have corrected that for you ;-)

Archived