Exhaust pops and crackles

718as

Kellogs do a gr8 one that snaps, crackles AND pops! :)

8 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

Kellogs do a gr8 one that snaps, crackles AND pops! :)

I'm sorry, but that 'great' comment is Frostie. <_< 

1 minute ago, Araf said:

I'm sorry, but that 'great' comment is Frostie. <_< 

Lol...Soz ?

I'll try a sensible answer. Its not just the GTS that pops on the overrun, my S does it as well and perhaps also cars without PSE. I don't believe that its just the hardware, the engine also does something to cause the effect. It is claimed that Audi achieve the sound by deliberately allowing unburnt fuel to ignite in the exhaust but some say that's not possible as it would damage the cats.

Yeh anything with a sports exhaust will crackle and pop. It does/can happen to some degree without but maybe 10% as much. I'm convinced there is also an engine management update to 'manufacture' the noise, but as said above there has to be a balance to not destroy the cats.

I'm considering having an OEM sports exhaust fitted but am keen to hear one in the flesh first. I tried my local Porsche garage but they didn't have one we could take out for a spin. If anyone has one fitted and is willing to meet up for a bacon sarnie (my treat :rolleyes:) to give me a demo I would be very grateful. I'm in Epsom in Surrey so if there is anyone round the Surrey, SW London, Sussex area and willing to show offB), please let me know. Unfortunately I can't make the Blackbushe meet otherwise that would have been the ideal opportunity. Thanks

When I bought mine and was considering PSE the sales guy had a new car in with it and said he would demonstrate it on that. He started the car and revved the engine with it off and then with it on. TBH I really couldn't tell the difference but decided to specify it anyway. I am so pleased that I did because it is one of the best options and you can't really appreciate it standing still, it only comes into its own when on the move. 

I borrowed a 981 S demo recently with PSE - sounded fantastic.

On the move especially - pops / crackles - really added to each drive. Definitely considering it (have to go PSE route due to warranty remaining).

I made a camera phone recording (revs when stationary) gives a vague idea:

@718as what model did you go for? Doesn't it have PSE?

1 hour ago, topradio said:

When I bought mine and was considering PSE the sales guy had a new car in with it and said he would demonstrate it on that. He started the car and revved the engine with it off and then with it on. TBH I really couldn't tell the difference but decided to specify it anyway. I am so pleased that I did because it is one of the best options and you can't really appreciate it standing still, it only comes into its own when on the move. 

Totally agree. Bought my 981S without PSE and, great car that it was / is, something was just missing. Retro fitting PSE totally fixed that missing element and the fact that it's switchable is just the icing on the cake. 

Got PSE on my 981 (non S) it wasn't on my required options list as I thought it was a sad gimmick but the car I found had it and boy its fantastic. Spot mode on. Doesn't sound too much different when stood still but on the road it can be quite loud, can't it @Loz987:D

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Got PSE on my 981 (non S) it wasn't on my required options list as I thought it was a sad gimmick but the car I found had it and boy its fantastic. Spot mode on. Doesn't sound too much different when stood still but on the road it can be quite loud, can't it @Loz987:D

One of the very few exhausts I can here whilst its behind me! 

An orchestral treat, playing symphonies of six cylinder sensuality at the prod of a pedal! :wub:

1 hour ago, topradio said:

@Higgy, Did the car pop and crackle on the overrun with the standard exhaust?

No it didn't - it was just way to quiet. Even my wife noticed that we didn't have the pops, crackles and general burbledge any more......she can't say that now! :D

Just collected my car and it has the pse option, it's definitely a louder car than the non pse equipped car I tried but I'm struggling to notice a major difference with the switch on or off. I'm yet to try it with the roof down but it appears to pop and bang regardless in sport or sport plus mode, maybe slightly more with it on.

I've checked underneath and the valves on either side are moving with the switch, am I missing something or is the switchable effect quite subtle.

10 hours ago, daz05 said:

I've checked underneath and the valves on either side are moving with the switch, am I missing something or is the switchable effect quite subtle.

Not with mine. With the PSE "off" the car is quiet. No pops or crackles, and that's fine with me, sometimes on long trips that's what I'd want. Switching on the PSE  the pops and crackles start and pressing Sport in conjunction with PSE makes them even more (very!!) pronounced. Idea set of choices for me. 

30 minutes ago, Higgy said:

Not with mine. With the PSE "off" the car is quiet. No pops or crackles, and that's fine with me, sometimes on long trips that's what I'd want. Switching on the PSE  the pops and crackles start and pressing Sport in conjunction with PSE makes them even more (very!!) pronounced. Idea set of choices for me. 

Ditto, tested again this morning just to be sure :)

32 minutes ago, Higgy said:

Same on mine too

Either there is some difference in the implementation from year to year otherwise it's just very subjective. The above three responses are frequently echoed but there is just as much response along the lines of Daz as well. I did a lot of reading on forums before I bought mine and there were quite a lot of people who a) could find no difference with PSE on or off and.  b,)  found PSE droney at cruising speeds (more apparent with PDK apparently).

I ultimately decided not to go the PSE route due to mine being a daily driver. I think the standard exhaust sounds great but it is quite quiet.

Archived