My car is naughty

718as

1 hour ago, 718as said:

It keeps pushing me to take corners at higher speeds, yet each time it just sticks to the road like glue.

Wonder what the upper limit is.;)

Probably something to explore on a trackday first, less things to hit and kill there :) 

8 hours ago, 718as said:

It keeps pushing me to take corners at higher speeds, yet each time it just sticks to the road like glue.

Wonder what the upper limit is.;)

usually its the drivers ability, not the cars upper limit that is exceeded first ie a corner is not taken at maximum speed by most drivers, either they take it wrong or don't push it. Personally on a fast road run I would never push a sports car to its limit on a public road. Yes I'll often finish with a "sweat on" / adrenaline rush but I know the car has been driven within its limits more than mine. The fun bit is finding your limits not the cars, if you hit the cars first you are driving the wrong car ;-)

I think you would be able to find the cars limit this time of year easy enough, especially when wet. The issue is when you think you are well within the limits but then hit a cold shady damp off camber corner and you are caught out, that's why I tend not to push things too much this time of year

I'm hoping I'm not going to be disappointed when I hand back the 718 and pick back up my 981 next week! The front end on the 718 feels really planted unlike my 981...:wacko: (awesome bar that mind)

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I'm hoping I'm not going to be disappointed when I hand back the 718 and pick back up my 981 next week! The front end on the 718 feels really planted unlike my 981...:wacko: (awesome bar that mind)

Really!   What tyres are on each?.  I've not had any occasions in mine where I've thought it's anything but planted, in fact even with the electric steering I feel I can put the front end exactly where I want with no hint of understeer except on one occasion where I totally misjudged the sharpness of a hairpin bend!

Just now, Greenman said:

Really!   What tyres are on each?.  I've not had any occasions in mine where I've thought it's anything but planted, in fact even with the electric steering I feel I can put the front end exactly where I want with no hint of understeer except on one occasion where I totally misjudged the sharpness of a hairpin bend!

Both on PZEROS mine are 2012 year obviously the 718 are newer which will make a difference. Hard to explain but I find my 981 feels very much mid engine rwd with a light front end and happy tail. The 718 feels a lot heavier on the front and better for it. More balanced overall. So I feel like pushing it harder. Maybe I need to get geometry checked out. I doubt very much OPC have done it as one of their checks....

25 minutes ago, Leonard said:

. I doubt very much OPC have done it as one of their checks....

The 111 point check doesn't require a geometry check if everything looks ok, the technician has to sign off that tyre wear is even and that the suspension arms have not been subject of obvious impact etc, if this is the case then geometry check is not performed so it is possible that your is out theoretically I guess.

On 09/02/2017 at 8:20 PM, Leonard said:

Both on PZEROS mine are 2012 year obviously the 718 are newer which will make a difference. ....

Which PZERO has the 718 got?  'N1' ?     

By all accounts the N1 version of the PZERO has a much better feel than the N0 version that your 981 will have.   Maybe worth having a look on the 718 to see.

20 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Which PZERO has the 718 got?  'N1' ?     

By all accounts the N1 version of the PZERO has a much better feel than the N0 version that your 981 will have.   Maybe worth having a look on the 718 to see.

Goes to get torch....

7 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Humm.  I have mine at 2.1 bar (31psi) which is the official comfort setting.   Sport (high speed) setting should be 33 (2.3) bar.

Are both on 20" wheels?

I bet the N1 vs N0 is most of the difference you feel.

Interesting, where is the "comfort" setting listed. I have just followed what is listed inside the drivers door shut at 33psi. Not really bothered trying other pressures.

Mine are 20" N0 Pirellis if it makes any diference

Comfort tyre pressure for summer tyres up to 270 km/h (165 mph) (only for vehicles with 20-inch wheels, Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) and “Comfort press.” selection option)

Preconditions for using the comfort tyre pressure

• 20-inch wheels
  • The vehicle is equipped with Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) and
  • The “Comfort press.” menu is available
    in TPM.

Procedure

For information on using the multi-function display, Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) and the tyre pressure type:

1. On the multi-function display,
    select the “TPM” main menu
    and confirm.
  1. Select “Comfort press.
    and confirm.

Comfort pressure may only be set in the tyre if
the “TPM” main menu and the “Comfort press.” selection field are available on the multi-function display.

To set comfort pressure in the tyre:

1. On the multi-function display,
    select the “TPM” main menu
    and confirm.
  1. Select the “Fill info” menu
    and confirm.

Information

Use only the pressure differences shown in
the “Fill info” display when correcting the tyre pressure.

1. Read the tyres pressures to be corrected in the display and set the specified pressure in the tyre.

WARNING

Low tyre pressure

Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) is equipment-dependent, the “Comfort press.” selection is country-dependent and is not available in all country versions.

Driving at high speed and low tyre pressure destroys the tyres.

• Only set comfort tyre pressure on vehicles with Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) and “Comfort press.” selected.

20-inch wheels

FA

RA

Boxster

2.1 bar (30 psi)

2.1 bar (30 psi)

Boxster S, Boxster GTS

2.1 bar (30 psi)

2.1 bar (30 psi)

FA = front axle, RA = rear axle

I guess you don't have TPMS  so the comfort setting is not an approved option.

12 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I guess you don't have TPMS  so the comfort setting is not an approved option.

Correct, 2013 didnt need it so I dont have it. Wont stop me trying 30psi at some point though :)

7 minutes ago, 718as said:

Nice to see some of my posts bring out some informative and interesting discussions.

:D

Had a look and for info 718 says 2.3 bar or 33psi also same as 981. However OPC gas them at 2.4bar. No biggie I know.

Will experiment bit further when I get my motor back and try and find a decent local geometry set up. I had a mk3.5 mx5 for a few months a few years ago and that benefitted greatly from a geometry set up

While yours is at the OPC can't you get them to do a free geo check as part of the work? Then you can see how far it is off factory spec?

The MX5 is a very different animal to the box, i'd only be asking the OPC or someone like Revolution to do it.

Archived