Fixing number plates...

TV8

Changing the number plates on my car over the weekend and have just noticed that my current plates have the screws about 2-3cm in at either end, so if I use the same location in the new plates, it will be right in the middle of the blue euro/GB. 

Not a real problem but is there anything behind the number plates that would be affected by moving the holes a few CM?

thanks in advance. 

I've just stuck mine on with adhesive pads like I normally do.

I did fit aluminium plates which are even easier as you can pre bend them to shape ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, lordlee said:

I couldn't get my front number plate to stay on even with VHB sticky pads. Had to resort to screws which I hate.

Same here. Sad times. Back one was fine with sticky/Velcro pads as a flat surface.

I always use silicone sealant. Make sure both surfaces are dry and clean and that there are no protrusions from such as old screw holes. A good thick bead of silicone 20mm from the edge all the way around and 3 or 4 blobs in the middle does it. Press firmly but not excessively down and hold number plate in position with half a dozen small strips of masking or gaffa tape until the silicon sets. I leave for about 2 hours, then remove tape.  To remove number plate in future, ease fishing line or similar behind the plate and with a gentle sawing motion cut through the silicone.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, lordlee said:

I couldn't get my front number plate to stay on even with VHB sticky pads. Had to resort to screws which I hate.

Should have said sir - I have a reel of VHB thanks to the last charity clear out in the office.

Feel free to pop over and we can soon remedy your OCD

11 hours ago, Patt said:

Should have said sir - I have a reel of VHB thanks to the last charity clear out in the office.

Feel free to pop over and we can soon remedy your OCD

Its too late the drill has been through them!! Thank you for the offer though :-) 

If we could talk polishing pads though.....

Archived