Must have options?

Happy Days

Ok, I have a 718 and a Macan. I bought the 718 as a replacement for a 986 that I had owned for 11 years. Being an older car, it was very basic spec, just PASM as an option that I could see.

Wen speccing the 718 (my first new Porsche) , I went for what I thought would be a nice sports car. I chose; metallic paint, coloured wheel centres, parking sensors F&R, full blue leather interior (1,680!!!), PAS Plus, heated seats, heated multifunction wheel, dim-dip mirrors with auto wipers, folding door mirrors, cruise control, DAB radio and Porsche Connect. Nice enough spec I thought. About £57k delivered.

Our sales guy was wanting me to do PDK (I prefer manuals), different seats (me and wife are the same height, we only vary back rake angle, so that's not really a big problem for us), sat nav (in Ireland? Sure everybody knows everywhere...) twin zone climate control (in a two-seater? Really?) The only thing I'd miss from our other car (VW) was adaptive cruise control, but at over a grand it seemed excessive.

Then beloved saw and bought a Macan while we were collecting our 718 - a few months old with 1500 on the clock. Couple bought it and then fecked off to live in Spain. It came with some options that I really like, and some that I really don't. It has; Metallic paint, coloured wheel caps, all- season tyres (hardly a 718 option...) leather interior, 14 way seats, PDLS headlights, park assist with surround view, privacy glass (again, not really a 718 option...) black exterior trims, PAS Plus, PDK (standard on Macans) 75l fuel tank (very handy...), lane keeping assist (also known as The Frogs), auto dim-dip mirrors, comfort lighting, auto wipers, F&R seat heating, heated multifunction wheel, smoker package, porsche crests on seats, Sat Nav, TV Tuner (why?) ConnectPlus and a luggage compartment liner. £57k new.

Now the point of this tale is, what options would I keep, and what would I leave out? On the 718, I'd definitely do without apple car play (cos it's shyatee) and probably the dim-dip mirrors (they have a shyatety part that doesn't dip and you regularly get blinded by following traffic). I might have the PDK - I know, I know, but in town it really is so easy. But it'a s 2k option on the 718. If surround camera parking was offered, I'd have it in a heartbeat. It's brilliant. The PDSL headlights are a novelty (they swivel to point around the corner) but at over a grand? Smoker package is a no brainer (it adds a cover to the hole in the console). I might have the embossed crests? Vanity I suppose? Connect plus is a bit of a novelty - it allows you to have Google Earth showing on satnav, and sets up a wifi hub to enable a connection to. The dealer gives you a 2GB sim card for three months free. 

So if I go back to the configurator and spec up my 718, it now comes in at over £64k. Hmmm.

I specced my at £70K do i care? Not one bit , ive got everything that i wanted, i like my toys and after the main items some of these weren't too bad. My car will be used as a normal everyday car, might use it for work but i motorbike to work. My wife will use it to shop , take the dog out for walks , wet and muddy and narrow country rounds.

After having led lights on my GLE they are so much better than xenon's,  Adaptive cruise excellent , with pdk it drives itself in traffic and fog its great. Didn't go for the sports exhaut as i found it very drony , went for leather , and normal trim , no apple play as i dont have apple products and no connect, went for Bose and rear camera as the sensors dont always pick up those small posts that are used to protect the grass etc.Standard seat as i found the sport seats uncomfortable.Went electric and keyless.

One problem i do have is cars never give me the same grin factor of what bikes do, dont get me wrong i love cars, but my biking grin is always bigger.

I specced SWMBO Macan GTS to nearly £70k and the GTS comes with quite a few options as standard. The plan was to get a sporty SUV that I could use at weekends. I managed to get a confirmed hokey grail feb build / march delivery (ie new reg / pre VED rise). The only problem was SWMBO did not like it. I guess I should have asked her first lol but it was the wrong car for her. She won't let me drive "enthusiastically" so if she was in the car it would be slow, I would end up taking it for drives by myself and if that's the case I may as well have a sports car right ? So the Macan was cancelled and she is getting an Evoque Autobiography with options for March delivery. If I'm honest its a more suitable car for her, I will never drive it. My compensation was the boxster GTS so I've ended up with my sports car for solo fun.

The must have options for me on the Macan where sports exhaust (standard on the GTS), full adaptive memory seats (where have totally different driving positions), spare wheel (costs a fortune to retro fit), sat nav (as much for resale as anything), pano roof (they are not the brightest car inside unless light leather, surround camera (they are ace). However I ended up speccing quite a bit more.

With the boxster I think the Dual climate is the most misleading of descriptions, it should just be called Climate. I think a lot of people do not spec it not realising that the standard is "just" Air con and not climate ie you have to constantly adjust blower / temp. With Climate you just set a temp and forget, its a must have in a luxury sports car in my book and should have been standard (but you could say that about about a few of the options.

I love retractable mirrors as well, they just look cool when closed up.

But for me on a boxster, PASM, Sports chrono (if PDK) and PSE would be a must.

I'm sick of adjusting my air con on my 981S. Agreed that dual zone climate control sounds excessive but it will save hassle in the long run. It is specced on my new 718 whenever that arrives.

For my 718 my mandatory features are PASM, Sport Chrono, PTV, leather interior, 20 inch wheels, bose at a minimum, rear parking sensors (although I did spec front and rear, camera is excessive), PDK etc

Never been the biggest fan of the engine sound, it's pretty decent but I tend to drown it out with music. You can't beat the V10 of a Lexus LFA, or Carrera GT, now that's a sound I'd happily trade for music any day. Just wish they weren't silly money.

Probably why I'm not concerned with trading my car with a 718 and dropping to 4 cylinders, whenever they decide to build it.

3 hours ago, Toeside said:

PDK PASM PSE Chrono ;) I don't listen to music in the Boxster I listen to the engine :) 

On short trips then yes but as an everyday day drive then its get a bit too much. I spent a fortune on a race can for my bike, sounded great but after a couple of hours riding it was just too much i reverted back to the standard can and im afraid to say i found the GTS i tested too much after a couple of hours driving i ended up with a headache and didn't enjoy it at all ( wait for the backlash!!!) everyone is different and they like different things.

Yes that's what makes the world a great place!

I have had a few drives in vehicles were the exhaust becomes a bore (VW Golf GTi with 2") but I haven't experienced it yet with a flat six .......but age is catching up :D The PSE means you can mute the volume somewhat ;)

On 24/02/2017 at 10:53 PM, MIkeyv60 said:

On short trips then yes but as an everyday day drive then its get a bit too much. I spent a fortune on a race can for my bike, sounded great but after a couple of hours riding it was just too much i reverted back to the standard can and im afraid to say i found the GTS i tested too much after a couple of hours driving i ended up with a headache and didn't enjoy it at all ( wait for the backlash!!!) everyone is different and they like different things.

boo_o_1136970.jpg

?

If it was me I'd be have relatively low spec cars. My macan would have metallic paint, heated seats, bose, sat nav, pdk, cruise and panam roof if it's available.

Boxster would be heated crested leather, cruise, smoker package (for the cubby cover only), bigger wheels. Probably PDK too, but might have manual if the other was auto.

That'd be it :) 

Archived