Coolant leak!!!!

big mike

Had a few drives of the car now and must say it's a nice place to be, mostly around town so far and temp etc seems to sit spot on,

Went to see about exhaust bypass today and thought I would try the new tyres I fitted yesterday so it was a more spirited drive of around 30 miles,

Again temp sat spot on but noticed when I stopped there was water (coolant taste to it) in front of drivers rear wheel, went into boot to check and thought I would crack the cap and check if there was a lot of pressure, there wasn't really much pressure at all,

Im a bit puzzled as if it was overheating I thought the pressure would be sky high at the cap?

overflow pipe is by the drivers rear wheel, most likely the cap needs changing as this is the symptoms of a failed cap. Same happened to me, no overheating, water coming out the overflow went hot, they don't last forever. think 04 is the latest imprint on the cap.

That sounds like it could have come from a leaking water pump as this is located on the driver's side of the front of the engine, so just in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Worth jacking up the rear to have a look under the engine and see if it's leaking from somewhere around the pump.

Just seen previous post, that seems the first thing to check.

On 14/03/2017 at 7:04 PM, big mike said:

...thought I would try the new tyres I fitted yesterday so it was a more spirited drive of around 30 miles,...

Worth noting that tyres like to be run-in gently for the first couple of hundred miles. Not sure how important it is, but I always try...

Anyway, glad you're sorted on the leak for a few quid!

1 hour ago, Whaleblue said:

Worth noting that tyres like to be run-in gently for the first couple of hundred miles. Not sure how important it is, but I always try...

Anyway, glad you're sorted on the leak for a few quid!

I'm careful with new tyres, I've ran bikes for over 20 years so know how scary fresh rubber can be

Archived