Mini Warranty Extension (or not?)

Our MINI Cooper three-door hatch will be three years old next month,  with just over 6k on the clock.  I've been invited by MINI to extend the warranty for a further year at for a premium of £425, with a £100 excess on any claim. Apart from a couple of recalls, the car has been faultless and our mileage will continue to be low as we have two cars and travel abroad a lot.  The car is garaged when not in use,  if that's a consideration. The car is soon going in for its annual service (covered by a five-year MINI TLC package), MOT (at my expense) and a free full inspection prior to the expiry of the existing three-year warranty.

So, in my place, would you or wouldn't you go for the warranty extension?

No,

as you still get it serviced at BMW, if anything major went I'd be expecting a pretty hefty goodwill payment towards any repair at that mileage. As long as finances are not so tight that a big bill would put you in trouble, I'd just play the odds?

7 hours ago, Nobbie said:

No,

as you still get it serviced at BMW, if anything major went I'd be expecting a pretty hefty goodwill payment towards any repair at that mileage. As long as finances are not so tight that a big bill would put you in trouble, I'd just play the odds?

Thanks @Nobbie (and to the person other than me who liked Nobbie's post!)  

That was my thinking exactly.  I can certainly underwrite the (small) risk myself. ☺

Just a thought before you decide, our Mini F55 which had been faultless during the previous 18k miles developed an electrical fault which was diagnosed to be a faulty wiring loom......so a BRAND new wiring loom has just been fitted.

MINI have had the car for just short of a month, I would not look forward to that invoice if it was out of warranty!

9 hours ago, mickemo said:

Just a thought before you decide, our Mini F55 which had been faultless during the previous 18k miles developed an electrical fault which was diagnosed to be a faulty wiring loom......so a BRAND new wiring loom has just been fitted.

MINI have had the car for just short of a month, I would not look forward to that invoice if it was out of warranty!

That's a bit scary!  That said, even if the car had been (not long) out of warranty, you would hope MINI would cover it, since the fault was obviously nothing to do with you or how the car was used.

Coincidentally, I noticed on the Honest John website yesterday a report of crankshaft bearing failure on the 1.5 three-cylinder petrol turbo engines.  Apparently, there are something like 70 known cases requiring replacement bearings, and three where the whole engine has been replaced.  The work has been described as an "enhancement" (!) By MINI and has been done at their expense.

Trouble is,  our car is a very low-mileage example, so faults such as this might not become apparent for quire some time.

If you can afford worst case scenario, then don't buy the warranty.  If you are in any doubt, or just don't want the hassle of sorting out a problem, then get it.

What others have alluded to above is the 6 year rule on cars being fit for purpose.  Assuming you will be keeping the Mini in the BMW network for work, you can expect a 'goodwill gesture' of 80% of costs for major failures from BMW over the next 3 years.  In my mind that's £1275 worth of warranty that you don't need to spend.

Save your money for another 3 years then reassess.

That's good device,  thank you @Araf.  Yes, the Mini will continue to be serviced at a franchised dealer, since it's covered by a five year TLC service plan.

The way I look at the warranty extention offered, it actually would cost me £525 to make a claim, since I would have to pay the cost of the warranty plus the £100 excess!

2 hours ago, Araf said:

If you can afford worst case scenario, then don't buy the warranty.  If you are in any doubt, or just don't want the hassle of sorting out a problem, then get it.

What others have alluded to above is the 6 year rule on cars being fit for purpose.  Assuming you will be keeping the Mini in the BMW network for work, you can expect a 'goodwill gesture' of 80% of costs for major failures from BMW over the next 3 years.  In my mind that's £1275 worth of warranty that you don't need to spend.

Save your money for another 3 years then reassess.

To underpin what Araf says above, about 8 years back our 2005 MY MINI Conv (4 years old with 40K miles) developed a power steering fault but was out of its 3 year warranty but has always been serviced by MINI.  

Initially they told me I'd have to pay for a new Power Steering pump to be fitted 1K + cost to me, I queried that and quoted to them that this was a known issue within the MINI network and should be fixed FOC.   They denied this initially before backing down and fitted the new P/S pump for free (I just paid a nominal fee for the P/S fluid) :-)

Archived