So do I have speed limit display

Jonttt

On the LCD binnacle dial I get the road speed limit sign showing ..... the current road speed limit

My car is not specced with this option. Was it an option on the 981 back in 2014 or at all?

Is there a reason I would get this without the option ? Or does my car have this option but for some reason its not on its official spec sheet ?

ps I'm going off speccing new cars where its always a paid for option.

Ah, that makes sense, so if you have sat nav you can choose for the pre defined speed limit held on the nav database to be displayed.

58 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Ah, that makes sense, so if you have sat nav you can choose for the pre defined speed limit held on the nav database to be displayed.

Yes, but they didn't go out of their way to tell you that in the brochure or their sales patter, and it's not enabled by default, you have to alter the settings to get it displayed. Presumably so that you were more likely to pay extra for the camera-based one.

The satnav-based one can sometimes have out-of-date speed limits BTW; around here where they seem to be continually reducing speed limits, there are quite a few real 40s that are shown as 50 etc. even though my car isn't particularly old.

57 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Yes, but they didn't go out of their way to tell you that in the brochure or their sales patter, and it's not enabled by default, you have to alter the settings to get it displayed. Presumably so that you were more likely to pay extra for the camera-based one.

The satnav-based one can sometimes have out-of-date speed limits BTW; around here where they seem to be continually reducing speed limits, there are quite a few real 40s that are shown as 50 etc. even though my car isn't particularly old.

It is not a big deal as its only another  setting to personalize in the PCM .

index.jpg

14 hours ago, Jonttt said:

that's it but be aware that its is not completely up to date, just like the sat nav maps themselves

19 minutes ago, Toeside said:

That feature is and extra option on the 718. I didn't think that all 981's had the camera for detecting the speed limits? :rolleyes:

no us 981 drivers use our eyes instead...:lol:

13 hours ago, Toeside said:

That feature is and extra option on the 718. I didn't think that all 981's had the camera for detecting the speed limits? :rolleyes:

No camera , sat nav based all have the display option.

Camera is an option, but if you need one to read signs you shouldn't be driving 

10 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

No camera , sat nav based all have the display option.

Camera is an option, but if you need one to read signs you shouldn't be driving 

Not sure there is a great deal of difference between relying on a Sat nav data base speed indication and a camera delivered one.

Handy if your sat nav database is out of date. ;) 

They have been invoking a number of new 20mph limits in previously 30mph city limits in Scotland for example. I think it was a £250 option on the 718 so from a porsche point of view quite a sensible price :D .

I have the sat nav based speed limit info system in my 981 (in fact my ancient Garmin in the van has it as well) and while I would never allow the system to be a substitute for my observation of the road signs it is very handy at times to have a second opinion.

I'm sure we have all been in the situation where we have been temporarily unsure of the exact limit especially in an unfamiliar location. (I can't believe that most of us haven't asked our passenger 'what's the limit here?' or 'this is a 60 isn't it?'

Only this week I was driving through the village of Alpheton on the A134 between Bury and Sudbury. If I had to guess I would have said that the limit was definitely at least 40 but its actually 30. I don't know how the villagers wangled that one, presumably it must have a history of accidents or somebody on the council lives right on the trunk road.

no TBH...its annoying enough when my speed limit 'ping' goes if I am doing over 80 :lol:

I always make sure I've finished my burger and fries and put the milkshake in the cup holder before I do that though....

Archived