Roof Question

Cossie Si

In normal operation, if you stop your roof before it completes it's opening or closing cycle, is it possible to send it the reverse way, without completing the original cycle. For example, I'm opening the roof, get say, half way, then decide to close it again, mine won't allow that operation, without fully opening it first. Is that normal?  2001 plastic rear window car!

7 hours ago, Cossie Si said:
2 hours ago, topradio said:

On my 98 2.5 you can let go of the button and the roof stops, if you then press the other side of the button it reverses back. Is yours standard or do you have a SmartTOP or similar fitted?

Standard, yes! If I start the opening procedure.and stop it at any point. it will only close, after I fully open it!

Ours is a 2002 'plastic', and no problems just stop it where you like by releasing button and then press whichever side you choose to put it up or down, no need to fully cycle.  

You'd do this if opening it to service position, and then closing it afterwards without fully lowering it.

2001 S - with facelift roof, I can open to service point and then close without having to fully open the roof

I now have a robotop fitted and it will also let me stop the roof and reverse direction.

I have a 2001. I have the facelifted 03 top with glass on my car, but the mechanism is unchanged. I can move the top in either direction at any point. 

7 hours ago, Southy said:

2001 S - with facelift roof, I can open to service point and then close without having to fully open the roof

I now have a robotop fitted and it will also let me stop the roof and reverse direction.

+1 ??

I can only think its a problem with the relay. You can pick them up on eBay for about £30 (there are two types, make sure that you get the correct one for your car - they are marked with either a black square or a triangle)

55 minutes ago, topradio said:

I can only think its a problem with the relay. You can pick them up on eBay for about £30 (there are two types, make sure that you get the correct one for your car - they are marked with either a black square or a triangle)

Cheers, will check it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Second hand relay tried. Problem remains! I've found, if the roof goes just beyond roll bar, it will then go the other way and can be moved either way after that. I'm guessing b pillar microswitch. Can't see what else it could be!

Archived