Child seat 981

daz05

Folks, hoping on of you can help, I'd like to  install a child seat in the Boxster to take my little one out but my car doesn't have isofix fitted with the option to turn off the air bag. 

The manual states that even front facing seats are not allowed until the child is above a certain weight which seems like a while on my case.

Has anyone had the isofix retrofit/ airbag turn off carried out and if so what was the cost at the opc? I noted that the kit is around £120 but I would also need to add on the revised roof console and labour.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or experiences.

It doubt it takes 1/2 hour to plug in and turn off the option.  Have you asked you local indi?

I can' t comment on experience, mine was removed at factory.

13 minutes ago, Patt said:

It doubt it takes 1/2 hour to plug in and turn off the option.  Have you asked you local indi?

I can' t comment on experience, mine was removed at factory.

If its the same as my 986 Isofix (theres a bar with a seat belt buckle which you plug into which turns passenger airbags off. I assume the Porsche child seat has an extra strap with seat belt buckle on it) then the seat bolts have to be undone/removed to fit it then turn the option on so 1/2 hour sounds about right for fittimg

I had mine done for £500 at OPC. However I discovered that when the child seat is facing forwards you aren't meant to disable the airbag. If you just need a front facing seat then you could just install the ISO fix mounts (probably yourself) and save a lot of money. Also the airbag deactivation switch is installed in the glove box which is where most of the labour goes.

21 hours ago, Boxster981S said:

I discovered that when the child seat is facing forwards you aren't meant to disable the airbag

Thanks but can you elaborate? Everything I read states that you should disable it.

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Thanks but can you elaborate? Everything I read states that you should disable it.

I found quite a few sites state this e.g

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/6936341/Honest-John-Child-car-seat-rules-and-front-airbag-usage.html

also if you look at the label on the car seat it only says to disable when showing the seat facing backwards.

the normal advice for front facing seats is to push the car seat back as far as possible. Also (from memory) I think on the porsche the airbag only deploys when it detects 40kg of weight on the seat. 

Also from 

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

Fitting a child car seat

You must only use a child car seat if your car’s seat belt has a diagonal strap, unless the seat is either:

• specifically designed for use with a lap seat belt
  • fitted using ISOFIX anchor points

You must also:

• deactivate any front airbags before fitting a rear-facing baby seat in a front seat
  • not fit a child car seat in side-facing seats

2 hours ago, Boxster981S said:

Also from 

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

Fitting a child car seat

You must only use a child car seat if your car’s seat belt has a diagonal strap, unless the seat is either:

• specifically designed for use with a lap seat belt
  • fitted using ISOFIX anchor points

You must also:

• deactivate any front airbags before fitting a rear-facing baby seat in a front seat
  • not fit a child car seat in side-facing seats

I had IsoFix retro-fitted, the car was new and Porsche contributed to the cost after I complained I wasn't told I didn't get the airbag switch without IsoFix.  IIRC the total cost was circa £800.

As for the legal position, my research showed that there is the Law which is pretty much covered above, but there is also a clause that drivers should also follow the guidelines and instructions from the car manufacturer and the child seat manufacturer.  This pretty much means you do have to turn off the airbag in a forward facing seat until the child is above a certain weight, I think the child would be about 11 before the airbag can be switched on.

As a note when I had the isofix/airbag switch retrofitted they didn't change the rear view mirror to have the light showing when the airbag is off not sure if that was the OPC forgetting or if it isn't possible to retrofit that.

Checking manufactures guidelines is also a good idea I use maxi cost and the advice that you don't have to disable the airbag when front facing.

http://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/gb-en/service/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Yes, if the car has IsoFix anchor points on the front seat, but we recommend deactivating the airbag or placing the front passenger seat in the rearmost position. Most cars, however, are not fitted with IsoFix anchor points on the front passenger seat. This means that it is often not possible to install the car seat on the passenger seat.

I know the world is a different place now but when I read these threads about fitting child seats it always reminds me of when I was young in the 1970's. My father bought a Bedford CA van that had been a milk float in its previous life. It had no passenger seat and my dad fitted one that hinged forward to access the rear. It also rotated forward under braking projecting its occupant into the windscreen. As this was in the days before seat belts were compulsory, or even fitted, my dad developed the technique that when he had to brake hard he automatically put his left arm out to restrain the passenger:o

Now when I regale youngsters of today with this anecdote they just don't believe me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

In a similar position in that baby due June and want to be able to still use the car.

Porache quoted £770 direct for the IsoFix system, local independent (Leeds area) has quoted £450.

The latter obviously seems more paletable - official parts and ex-Porsche trained mechanics.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the lower price? Could it be "less of a job" or effect my warranty?

Also has anyone who has had it done got an full explanation of the airbag deactivation process?

Is it a switch in the glove box OR is it something that only occurs when you plug a Porsche specific car seat / base in?

We don't want the Porsche seat - it's not compatible with the pram we are looking for?

Archived