About to be detailed

Davidbf1.com

Shortly setting off to drop my BGTS to be detailed through the week. Will make sure I post pics when I get it back. Judging by the results achieved previously on a brand new Black Pearl VW CC, and my Tungsten Silver VW Passat can't wait to see the results!

Hi RDB. Been going backwards and forward on the clear protective film. No doubt it's very, very effective, but expensive. Still wonder whether I might not bother but use the money instead for a quality paint respray of bumper, bonnet etc in future once/if it suffers some chipping/rash.

I agree re the expense to protect the whole car. From my experience I would recommend as a good compromise, getting protective film on just the nose and bonnet. These are the most vulnerable areas and I bet you could get that done for around £1,000 or less.

1 hour ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I agree re the expense to protect the whole car. From my experience I would recommend as a good compromise, getting protective film on just the nose and bonnet. These are the most vulnerable areas and I bet you could get that done for around £1,000 or less.

I beg to differ....

The side air intake area and the rear bumper behind the rear wheels are just as vulnerable as the nose.

The rear bumper isn't particularly conspicuous so doesn't matter too much but the side air intake areas are vulnerable to stones thrown up from the front wheels, and this is something you can't really prevent, chips on the nose can be mitigated to some degree by giving space to the car in front.  My 14k 2015 has a number of chips around the air intakes but not much on the nose.

However having seen your car for the first time yesterday I will agree your car really does look great, I just wish this was a bit cheaper to do.

Fair enough. I have never ran a 981 without protective film all over, so didn't realise the areas you describe were so vulnerable!

My first 981 had the film fitted by its previous owner and I was so impressed with its condition that I did the same with my GTS.

3 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Hi RDB. Been going backwards and forward on the clear protective film. No doubt it's very, very effective, but expensive. Still wonder whether I might not bother but use the money instead for a quality paint respray of bumper, bonnet etc in future once/if it suffers some chipping/rash.

that was my thinking when I bought mine 3 and a half years ago....had some old fella reverse into the car with a tow bar on his Freelander and a month later I had a resprayed front bumper gratis!

Archived