Tow bar specification

Tin Pot

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows the tow bar spec on a 986?

I've never used a tow bar on any car.

Im looking at getting a Thule Euroclassic Bike Carrier for a trip down to Provence in two weeks. Thule have this to say:

What are the requirements for my tow bar?

Compatibility when mounting a tow bar mounted rack is less dependent on the car design and more specifically dependent on the car's tow bar specifications. A tow-bar must meet the following criteria:

- The maximum load capacity of the tow bar must certainly exceed the weight of the bike rack AND the weight of the bicycles you which to load.

- The distance between the tow ball the car bumper should be at least 6,5 cm.

- The tow bar must be made out of steel at least an equivalent material. tow bars made out of cast iron (GGG40) or Aluminium are not to be used in combination with our bike racks.

- The electrical connection must be 7-pin or 13-pin (see your local & legal specifications).

- The socket cannot be located directly on or just below the tow ball.

Cheers,

TP

Can you mount a tow bar on a Boxster? I've never seen one!

Any cars with a central exhaust have problems with tow bars, for obvious reasons.

Sorry I can't be any help, no doubt someone will know - might be worth a Google?

4 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Can you mount a tow bar on a Boxster? I've never seen one!

Any cars with a central exhaust have problems with tow bars, for obvious reasons.

Sorry I can't be any help, no doubt someone will know - might be worth a Google?

Well I want to take the Porsche, and I don't like those crappy looking things from Bird Engineering, nor do I want it on the roof as it defeats the point of taking a convertible to southern France.

I can take apart the bike completely, and stash it in the car but it's a few hours work.

I have three trips to do this season.

I didn't think the Boxster was Type Approved for towing in the EC. :unsure: 

I'm not trying to preach.  I used to run a different car with a tow bar that wasn't type approved, but I always made sure it didn't have a tow ball on (unless I was towing) so that I could argue the t*ss with coppers about it being a bike rack and not a tow bar. :)

If you are happy to have that argument in French then fill yer boots. :) 

On 29/04/2017 at 11:02 AM, Tin Pot said:

Well I want to take the Porsche, and I don't like those crappy looking things from Bird Engineering, 

Have you seen it? I thought it looked pretty ingenious and easily removed when not in use. 

I'm sure I've read (and seen pictures) on here of a boot bike rake fitting a Boxster. Saris Bones rings a bell.

6 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Have you seen it? I thought it looked pretty ingenious and easily removed when not in use. 

I'm sure I've read (and seen pictures) on here of a boot bike rake fitting a Boxster. Saris Bones rings a bell.

From another forum the Saris Bones 2 and 3 (but not the unadjustable 1) apparently fit.

My boss decided she wanted to go caravanning again after 20 years. Our two cars are teh Boxster and a 1.4 TSI Golf. Thinking it was impossible to fit a tow bar to my Boxster our little Golf (with a DSG gearbox) struggles manfully over the highland roads - if only I had fitted a tow bar to my Porsche, things would have been different!;)

19 hours ago, Boxob said:

From another forum the Saris Bones 2 and 3 (but not the unadjustable 1) apparently fit.

I can imagine why this would work, but the company only rate their products for the Panamera..and I wonder why that is, surely if it was good they'd advertise the fact?

https://www.saris.com/product/superbones3

i also have some concerns with the way the bikes are secured to the rack - fine for normal bikes perhaps, but my Argon18 has "Do Not Clamp" in scary writing on the top tube.

the bike is in the shop right now, I'll plan for dismantling it.  Leaving in ten days.

6 minutes ago, Tin Pot said:

I can imagine why this would work, but the company only rate their products for the Panamera..and I wonder why that is, surely if it was good they'd advertise the fact?

https://www.saris.com/product/superbones3

Sorry don't know. Got the information off Pistonheads.  Perhaps you can locate a UK retailer and try before you buy?

I have seen a Boxster with a tow bar over here - used to tow a trailer with a disabled buggy on it.  There was mention of the issue of type approval, but i think type approval came in at a certain date, so some very early 986's may pre date this so can get around having a tow bar, and later ones can't, or did i misremember this entirely!!   I think it was a home-brewed installation.  Just found 2 shots 

Boxster%20towing_zpsqvf1qst3.jpg

Boxster%20towing%202_zpsryfgecpl.jpg

11 hours ago, RCS said:

....but i think type approval came in at a certain date, so some very early 986's may pre date this so can get around having a tow bar, and later ones can't, or did i misremember this entirely!!  

Exactly right.  IIRC it was '99 that the regulations changed.

Archived