Read This If You Have a High Mileage 981...

spook

By the way, this is not a 981 specific potential problem.

My 987 gen 1 had a failed solenoid in the first 1000 miles and it is more of the more common failures with maf, coil packs etc. My symptoms were that the car would stall if you took your foot off the accelerator, really good news as it happened in the rush hour in the middle of Bristol !!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
On 5/13/2017 at 12:10 PM, ChrisPa said:

By the way, this is not a 981 specific potential problem.

My 987 gen 1 had a failed solenoid in the first 1000 miles and it is more of the more common failures with maf, coil packs etc. My symptoms were that the car would stall if you took your foot off the accelerator, really good news as it happened in the rush hour in the middle of Bristol !!

Well done spook for bringing this to light on the forum

The following link will be useful

https://aldousvoice.com/2017/03/10/porsche-987-variocam-solenoid/

In fact we'll have to see if its possible to make a pdf file and keep it in the sticky "how to section"

Firstly good for you for doing 70K in your 981 - i.e. what they are made for ! A very informative post - thanks and something for all 981 owners to watch for.  My 2012 981 S is around 30K & fortunately not showing any of these signs to date.

9 minutes ago, jaxbox said:

Firstly good for you for doing 70K in your 981 - i.e. what they are made for ! A very informative post - thanks and something for all 981 owners to watch for.  My 2012 981 S is around 30K & fortunately not showing any of these signs to date.

it would be nice to meet up and get some pics of the same car . my  76000mls and your 30000mls , see how the   compare :lmaosmiley:

absolutely - I'm a bit further south than you but active in PCGB and TIPEC but would love to get to a BoXa meet sometime & would love to see a 70k version as I've no real plans to move mine- might be a long term keeper. As another post said might be worthwhile buying 2 of these as back ups.

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to me earlier this year, and only on 25k miles.

The best way to diagnose this issue correctly during the early stages of failure is to invest in an iCarsoft POR2 diagnostic tool, for about 120 pounds.

This can read the porsche specific fault codes, and I also have a pdf listing each code with an explanation which I can share if required.

A default OBD reader won't give enough details since it lacks the specific Porsche fault codes for the variable valve lift.

Also worth noting is that a couple of coils on the same (left-hand) bank were dying also. The cause of failure is most likely the heat from the exhaust manifolds. Track-days exacerbate this, hence why mine failed at a lower mileage than others.

As for bore-wash and dead cylinders, don't worry too much. If a Valve lift solenoid fails then the car will run rough below 3k RPM but it won't do any damage as such. Mine is fine now after 6 coils and one new solenoid. Easy enough to fit with the wheel off.

If an injector fails open, then you will have bore wash..

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I bought the code scanner you mentioned as I felt like my car (2013 CS with 24k miles) might have the same issue.

Its recently had a new coil pack under warranty (I had a EML for that which made it straightforward to get replaced)

However the car still didn’t feel right and so I bought the scanner hoping it would show an issue.

live data is showing misfires on all cylinders, between 1-10 times in the last 10 starts.

Cylinder 2 though had 141! So I’m guessing that’s another coil that’s going.

Is it normal for there to be _any_ misfires in anyone’s experience?

I’m not getting an EML so I fear the opc will be reticent to do anything else.. (car is under 2 year opc warranty just renewed)

thanks for any insight you can give!

/David

I have the iCarSoft PORII and I seem to remember it registering the odd instantaneous misfire even when the car is running sweetly.

If you have many more on any single cylinder then coil pack is the obvious choice. If it's a whole bank then suspect VVT.

A full set of 6 same-as-OEM-spec coil packs from Euro Carpets can be very reasonable, but if you have warranty then you won't want to spend this.

It will take the amount of misfires to reach a certain threshold over a period of a few seconds in the ECU to trigger any warnings.

Chances are the Engine ECU will send warnings over the CANBus to say 'can't control torque properly' which will cause the ABS to start disabling its own functions.

It takes a few more misfires in a given period above this to trigger the yellow engine light.

34 minutes ago, temporarychicken said:

I might phone them up and ask for a quote for changing out one spark plug.

Thanks for that David, I now have coffee all over my desk😂

Interesting read - thanks for the heads up OP.

My 981 BGTS is coming up 5 years old in September with 13.5k on the clock - these kind of tales do cause mild concern especially when the 718 test drive invites keep coming from the OPC!

• 2 weeks later...

Update from me.

I had the Spark Plugs and coil packs changed a week ago, sadly this did not fix the misfire. (Edited to add this does not fire a CEL, but I can feel it and log it)

I'll post one frame from the POR2 live data, is this anything like you saw on yours @temporarychicken?

image.png.70b9c26da1a7b42a86d28dfb6bd73104.png

I can upload the whole log if its of interest, but is there anywhere else to look in the POR2 to see anything related to the VVT Solenoid?

Thanks

//D

Looking at the log values it seems that all the evidence points to cylinder number 2. It's got the most stored misfires, most regular misfires, and the most engine roughness recorded.

If you were looking at a VVT solenoid issue, then a group of three cylinders would be equally affected (one whole bank).

Since you've got a new plug and coil pack on all six cylinders, I guess we can rule those out....

Dare I suggest the fuel injector for cylinder 2 might be worth checking next??

Thanks for your reply and makes sense, I have OPC warranty but they cant see the car until the 26th (booked 2 weeks ago too) just hoping they dont say no CEL no help.

I don't see anything injector related on the POR2 sadly.

//D

21 hours ago, temporarychicken said:

Looking at the log values it seems that all the evidence points to cylinder number 2. It's got the most stored misfires, most regular misfires, and the most engine roughness recorded.

If you were looking at a VVT solenoid issue, then a group of three cylinders would be equally affected (one whole bank).

Since you've got a new plug and coil pack on all six cylinders, I guess we can rule those out....

Dare I suggest the fuel injector for cylinder 2 might be worth checking next??

My vvt gave misfires on both banks. Turns out that the car was trying to help itself when one vvt had failed. The good bank trying to help the poorly one if that makes sense. 

If its rough as bits low down but improves marginally with revs then it could be as these were my symptoms.

That's what it felt like. . I fitted a new one, and although better the fault codes were all over the place. Swapped over the other side with the replacement and bingo.

Archived