718 Boxster S vs Cayman GT4 - Hot Lap

Boxsey S

That is one of the best reviews I've seen, if you watch past the hot lap it sums up exactly why I chose a second hand 981 over a new 718. The one phrase about "it does not sing the way the old 6 cylinder did.......... the sound of revving it out made it more exciting, more thrilling" was absolutely spot on for me.

Even on the hot lap just compare the sound of the GT4 to the 718, its emotional under acceleration, the 718 just is not. Speed simply is not the deciding factor when the other car is simply more enjoyable an experience ;-)

There's just something about the 718 that appeals to me.

I actually quite like the engine note, it's very Impreza-esque. Pretty unique having that engine type in a small rear wheel drive car.

Of course if things were the other way around and the Boxster had always been a turbo 4  and the new version was a Na6 then everyone would be complaining of lack of mid range punch, having to use the gears too much and having to rev too high.

But that is a good review that sums up the 718 nicely.

34 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Of course if things were the other way around and the Boxster had always been a turbo 4  and the new version was a Na6 then everyone would be complaining of lack of mid range punch, having to use the gears too much and having to rev too high.

Fair comment, can you imagine the outcry if all new Impreza's started coming with an NA Flat 6...

I love imprezzas, had three back in the day before they where the PlayStation car, one of the best B road cars you could own..... but I certainly didn't buy them for the engine note lol. Then again I blew an engine on the way back from a track day silverstone, with less than 1,000 miles on the clock, which made an interesting sound ! Subaru did not believe it could be done, then tried to wriggle out of the warranty until I pointed out that they had invited me to the track day in the car doh!

11 hours ago, Jonttt said:

That is one of the best reviews I've seen, if you watch past the hot lap it sums up exactly why I chose a second hand 981 over a new 718. The one phrase about "it does not sing the way the old 6 cylinder did.......... the sound of revving it out made it more exciting, more thrilling" was absolutely spot on for me.

Even on the hot lap just compare the sound of the GT4 to the 718, its emotional under acceleration, the 718 just is not. Speed simply is not the deciding factor when the other car is simply more enjoyable an experience ;-)

Which is why people still buy other sports cars over the Nissan GTR, emotion. There's nothing much that sounds better than a flat 6 going through the rev range.

One thing I strongly dislike is the 'snort' on upshift present on all of the hot VW Group cars with DSG. Same as the pops and crackles on the overrun, they just sound fake and overboard.

The 718 GT4 may get a 4L with any luck...

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2018-porsche-cayman-gt4-to-get-40litre-flatsix-20170509-gw153q.html

The 718 4cylinder turbo seems to suffer from loads of high frequency turbo rush noise under full load, the GT4 "suffers" from intake and exhaust engine order content which sounds amazing..

On 10/05/2017 at 8:54 PM, Boxsey S said:

One thing I strongly dislike is the 'snort' on upshift present on all of the hot VW Group cars with DSG. Same as the pops and crackles on the overrun, they just sound fake and overboard.

That's because they are, I'd soon become tired of that. 

1 hour ago, That986 said:

That's because they are, I'd soon become tired of that. 

Funny how the GT3s have no pops and crackles. Compare this:

To this:

And they sound pretty ridiculous!

38 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

That's the video that made me buy my car :D That and I go cycling over there and wish I had a soft top sports car every time I go! Bit of a trek but I may just do it.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

I must admit I feel like a bit of a chav sometimes in my 981 with the PSE turned on :lol::blush: Doesnt so much pop and crackle as shoot at pedestrians with a 12 gauge!

:lol:

• 2 months later...
On 14/05/2017 at 11:44 AM, Leonard said:

That's the video that made me buy my car :D That and I go cycling over there and wish I had a soft top sports car every time I go! Bit of a trek but I may just do it.

How do you find the overrun pops? It sounds too OTT in that video.

7 minutes ago, Leonard said:

They are just right :D

OK they are a little silly. But this is a Porsche 3.4 flat 6 we are talking about and not a 1.2 Corsa with a drainpipe exhaust so in my eyes its definitely OK :D

Archived