Air Filters

mwmackenzie

Hey, Y'all..

Anyone running after market air filters, if so what have you got and do does it sound OK or a bit chav?  I've just bought an ITG foam number for my 3.2s, curious as to what your experiences have been I've read BMC was the one to get but foam against cotton filter comparisons on-line are what eventually swayed me to pay a wee bit more and go foam.  I'll report back once fitted ;)

Cheers

Mark

Had a Pipercross in mine for over 5 years now.

Slight increase in induction noise (especially if you de-snorkel too).  Even better if you go the larger throttle body mod.

I clean and re-oil once a year with no issues.  I got lucky, mine was the same price new & delivered as an OEM replacement.

2 1/2 years on a K&N filter - you'll hear the growl over 4k :)

I then did the de-snorkle and by pass mods so not so much growl now but more Grrrr from the exhaust 

Is it easy to replace the air filter in the 987.1 Boxster? I wanted a bit more noise and was considering an aftermarket air intake (CAI). I don't even know how to access the engine yet, let alone replacing the induction kit! HAHA! :blink:

Fitting is essentially a 15-20 minute job from start to finish and that's with no experience and a youtube video for instruction lol.. 

So I find the air box, open it up 2 screws to find the filter, I remove the filter, 1 screw, undo the jubilee clip and pull it to the front of the car simples! Fit is the opposite of removal.

Anyhow upon removing the filter I find it's a caked K and N so That'll be worth a good clean out and re-oil when I can be arsed, I always thought it was throaty at higher revs.. The ITG is less raspy but maybe a little louder at high revs, I might clean out the K and N and refit for a proper comparison.  I can't say I noticed any immediate performance gains obviously better flow as a new filter as opposed to an old dirty one but nothing to write home about.

Did my first track day with the Boxster on Saturday and it was really good on a damp/wet track, very enjoyable but the traction never seems 100% off?  Helped me a couple of times with the PSM switched off?  I gave the engine a wee clean with some armorall tyre foam while I was in there ;)

IMG_9920.JPG

Archived