Exhaust blown on start up

Spinjim

Started my 987 this morning and it sounded like a hole/crack in the exhaust. 

drove to work and it's cleared, sounded normal ?

No loss of power or go 

any ideas ?

Jim

The rear flanges fail - as do the manifold joints - wonder if it's only small - sounds bad when cold - and as soon as its warm it is creating a seal again? 

Hopefully you can get it up in the air somewhere and get it checked over soon / and it's something minor.

Hiya. I have the same problem with my 2005 2.7 Boxster. It sounds like its blowing when cold, but clears up later when the engine is warm. 

Took it into JMG Porsche who using some form of smoke test, diagnosed most of the joints leaking when cold. Exhaust itself looks old, so I think I need to replace the complete system. Just trying to find a reasonable priced complete system for my car. 

It's possibly cheaper to go new aftermarket than new OEM, but it's your call. 

They definitely can quieten down any leaks when blowing and warmed up. Dunno if the gaskets or metal expands or the exhaust particuls get bigger. 

1 hour ago, Ash_Bournemouth said:

Hiya. I have the same problem with my 2005 2.7 Boxster. It sounds like its blowing when cold, but clears up later when the engine is warm. 

Took it into JMG Porsche who using some form of smoke test, diagnosed most of the joints leaking when cold. Exhaust itself looks old, so I think I need to replace the complete system. Just trying to find a reasonable priced complete system for my car. 

I wouldn't assume the whole lot needs replacing just because the joints leak. Is there obvious serious corrosion on the actual exhaust? A complete set of new joints and OE gaskets could well have it sorted, unless you want a different exhaust and are using man maths to justify it?

Managed to get mine to the garage today, as suspected both joints are blowing. 

Im probably going to find a nice not too noisy back box to replace the OEM system which looks fairly old. 

Which one to go for ?

Jim 

20 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I wouldn't assume the whole lot needs replacing just because the joints leak. Is there obvious serious corrosion on the actual exhaust? A complete set of new joints and OE gaskets could well have it sorted, unless you want a different exhaust and are using man maths to justify it?

LOL. I think there is an option to sort it out, but all the joints look rusty and was trying to balance the labour cost on fixing versus replacing the complete system. I would be happy with the standard exhaust if it can be fixed. Maybe I should ask JMG for a quote.

I just feel the sound of a blowing exhaust lets down the drive of the car. 

If anyone can recommend a  supplier of complete exhaust system that is reasonably priced I would be grateful

get a good secondhand one from steve strange at douglas valley breakers 01257472866

13 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Think mine may be suffering the same as mine always sounds much louder at start up, which joints were leaking & how did you tell?

Cheers.

Garage checked it out for me 

Jim

Carnewal exhaust arrived and not happy 

One side pipe is bent and exhaust dented and cracked, general condition poor. 

Advised to return to sender by garage who I have known for over 15 years and lives in the same village as me. 

'New exhaust needed 

Jim

Surprised at the Carnewal issue. I went there personally and had my back boxes swapped out. Mine came from a car that had lived it's life in Bahrain, so were almost like new.

I looked into stainless systems, but from anectdotal evidence suffer from boom and resonance. If i was going to swap the headers and integrated cats I'd buy them from Porsche - they will do them for £750 per side (ouch) but cheaper than Design 911 for the same thing. I feel that a complete stainless system could drag you into the Corsa chav brigade which isn't appropriate IMHO

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, Spinjim said:

Managed to get mine to the garage today, as suspected both joints are blowing. 

Im probably going to find a nice not too noisy back box to replace the OEM system which looks fairly old. 

Which one to go for ?

Jim 

Mine did the same . The garage cut the old steel bolts off the flange joint and replaced them with stainless steel ones . Quick 30 min job. 

Archived