Breakdown cover in France help.

the baron

Going to France on thursday till Monday in my 1997 Boxster and my break down cover is with Startrescue who I have found to be stellar, however they don't cover me for EU trips due to the age of the vehicle, any advice on getting short term breakdown cover, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks

I had AA cover for the last couple of trips, they were OK about the age of my car (2001) and my last trip saw me use them twice.  Will need to sort out cover for this year's Spa trip so we will see if the car's age becomes an problem.

On both occasions I winced at the cost of cover but that was a factor of how many countries I was driving through.  Have to say the cover premiums paid for themselves on that one last trip.

Important thing to remember is that whoever you buy cover from is using a local provider.  This means that your provider (AA, RAC whoever) is only as good at their local service partner.  This was illustrated by the problem I experienced which wasn't too do with the mechanical aspect but the taxi service on the first occasion.

The AA team covering the phones in the UK were great - getting stuck on the side of an Italian motorway was a particularly unpleasant experience.

Well, I couldn't even connect to a Belgium cell phone network when stranded on their highway near GHENT. But after half an hour, the throttle valve poti cooled down sufficiently to allow me to drive on.

ADAC gave me a van for a week and they will tow the "S" back home on a 40 tons lorry. 86 Euros p.a., it's called "Plus" and covers all of Europe. 

Archived