Smelly air con

moneypit

Hi, '05 plate 987, just had a major service at my, generally excellent, local Indy,  including pollen filter. I drove it for the 1st time today since it was serviced, it's been stood about 3 weeks. It smells like eggs with the air con on. Old ones! It's cold, but if it's not on recirc, it's pretty noticeable. It was fine until the service.

The bizarre thing is, my van went in to a Ford main dealer the same week for a major service, also receiving a new pollen filter amongst other things, it now smells the same. It too was fine until the service. Is this some new phenomenon where you get a good deal on a major service and the price you pay is for the vehicle to stink when it comes back? If it was just one or the other, I'd have gone back by now, but for it to be on both is a bit twilight zone.

Anyone else had this?

Thanks for the replies. I accept I appear to be the common denominator. However, I'm struggling with the concept that this has coincidentally happened to 2 of my vehicles a week after both have had a service.  I'll speak to both of them. Not the vehicles, the garages!

Just to update this.......on investigation, it appears that the plastic right angled vent pipe on the side of the battery had been knocked off, more than likely at the  time the pollen filter was being fitted, as they're close together. The vent tube was lying next to the battery, obviously no longer connected, so the battery fumes were venting out into the space beside the pollen filter. Cheap fix! 

2 hours ago, moneypit said:

Just to update this.......on investigation, it appears that the plastic right angled vent pipe on the side of the battery had been knocked off, more than likely at the  time the pollen filter was being fitted, as they're close together. The vent tube was lying next to the battery, obviously no longer connected, so the battery fumes were venting out into the space beside the pollen filter. Cheap fix! 

Isn't that pretty dangerous, hence why it's vented out of the car in the first place, let alone being blown into the cabin ?

Archived