Battery woes

Withy

Just returned from holiday and Boxster is dead.. knew as soon as I tried the key fob to open.  There is enough juice to pop to frunk, so I don't have to do the manual bonnet release. Since it's parked nose first down a narrow drive, it's a bit painful to get it jumped as I can't get to where I need to be with my wife's car.  Have just ordered a portable jump starter from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183PH8VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 could be a handy thing to have anyway.  Also for good measure have some loooong jump cables too - better to be prepared if it happens again.  Was sitting for 3 weeks, guess normal for something of this age..

Put it on a battery conditioner and it might be ok within a couple of hours.

So the portable charger worked fine and car has started ok (Interestingly, the charger DIDN'T work for the bonnet release, but did allow the car to start OK).

Car is running now, but shows a "PSM Failure" and "PASM Failure" and if I push the sport button also shows a "SPORT Mode Failure"  thought it might be the control panel at fault, but the manual spoiler button works fine.  Anyone had this before and aware of a reset I could apply?    Car is just sitting in the drive at the moment charging, I'll take it out soon to see if actually driving helps.

*Edit* a quick search here shows that driving does clear the warnings  -  will go out now to clear all the nasty warnings!

I seem to remember that you may have to drive it a distance for the warning lamps to go off, to allow eveything to reset. Three weeks isn't long enough for a healthy battery to give up. I would recommend changing out the battery, winter will kill it off anyhow. Just because your car is 11yrs old doesn't mean that the battery should fail. 

Has it had a new one within the last few years? Treat yourself :)

6 hours ago, T24RES said:

I seem to remember that you may have to drive it a distance for the warning lamps to go off, to allow eveything to reset. Three weeks isn't long enough for a healthy battery to give up. I would recommend changing out the battery, winter will kill it off anyhow. Just because your car is 11yrs old doesn't mean that the battery should fail. 

Has it had a new one within the last few years? Treat yourself :)

Good advice - I've had the car just over a year and not replaced it, and I can't see anything in the service paperwork which shows a replacement ever being fitted.  Reversing the car up the drive removed the warnings, so it was almost immediately ok.  Wondering if my FM transmitter might have drained it a bit, but will just keep an eye on things for the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

+ 2 for solar charger. We have a Renault Master Horse box that rarely gets used in the Winter, with a solar panel. Starts all the time even in -3 degrees, ideal for any vehicle that is little used.

Archived