981 -> 911

Waxy

8 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Arsene Wenger " Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home", October 2009

For wife substitute Porsche and this statement sums up nicely this thread!

Lol,

Very true, as can be seen on every porsche forum site

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went from a 986S to a 997.2 S Cab.   

Width, well as said widest point is wing mirrors so 997 did go in the garage, but then you sweat as its hips reverse up to the door in your mirrors and then you realise it will fit! your conscious of the width when driving, but after a while......

997 was superb, very rapid, different handling characteristics , 997 did not feel as planted as the 986 ( remember someone on here saying they didn't like the 911 for that reason), but probably was, just the sensation I guess.

Didn't have any problems with storage, as though you've lost the rear boot, you gain the storage in/on the rear seats.  Advantage here is you can v. easily chuck a coat in, so if its wet at your destination v. easy to get, whereas if your seats right back in the Boxster, although rear boot does mean its warm when you put it on!!  One thing to note if you get a Cab is the wind deflector is a folding mesh affair, which works very well, but is a pita to insert.  As well as the obvious mesh vertically behind the front seats there's a horizontal mesh section running over the tops of the rear seats. Vertical bit folds flat when not in use and hood clears it etc so you can leave in place if its top down weather.  However to store, vertical bit folds onto horizontal bit and then it all folds in half and goes in a bag looking for all the world like a small trombone case as there's a bulge ion end.  It can be stored in the frunk, but then you're loosing storage space. You can install single handedly, but you need to take time to avoid damaging leather, much easier with 2 of you.   So in warmer weather etc we'd leave in place and fold up and down vertical bit, but remember rear seats now have a mesh lid restricting what you can get in, and if we were unlikely to have hood down but needed storage space we juts left it in the garage (deflector that is!!).

You'll have noticed past tense, unbelievably a nightmare of reliability issues with it so it had to go (even though Porsche warrantied and repaired by them no quibble).  Ended up with a KN, and missing open air, another 986!

Whilst the 986 is older and has loads of miles on it, we do care where we park it etc, but don't quite have the 'where to park it' stress there was with the 997.  Nor do we get that with the KN, which with its bulk really fills parking slots so is possibly more likley to be dinged - but so far so good!!

Had numerous loaners during the reliability issues, and can confirm that a C4 (991 6 pot variety) feels very planted compared to a C2,and a 718 Cayman S is superb even if engine at tick over sounds as if its lost a pot!!

Would we have another 911 - yes, just couldn't afford to p ex the 997 for another with the depreciation hit.  We've got another Boxster so obviously we're happy with them, and as true Porsche owners obviously looking at the next change ;) - 911 (poss a 996) or go 981, 981 may win.  

19 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Arsene Wenger " Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home", October 2009

Lol but @michelin has owned a 997 so point is valid surely. I just found it interesting was all, wont take it as gospel til i have driven one. Have driven the base 991 and wasnt impressed. But no doubt if i drove a GTS + it would be a different story

I went from a 986s to a C4S and then a turbo. The only car I've ever missed was that little boxster. I had half a dozen or so other cars along with the 4S/Turbo but none of them kept me interested.

The turbo is now running pretty big power and due to the town I work in I'm reluctant to drive it daily. Last year I bought my current 986S from this forum and use it as my daily and track car and use the turbo for weekends and euro hooning. 

As has been said, the 911 and the boxster are 2 different cars. I recently test drove a 991.2 in a moment of madness and was completely underwhelmed. Its just an Audi in disguise unfortunately. I got back in my £5k 986 and genuinely thought it was the better car, even though its 15 years older!

To be honest, if for some reason I could only have one mass produced (i.e. non GT) porsche from 1998 onwards it would be a 986S. I'd keep it over my turbo and that is saying something!

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

Lol but @michelin has owned a 997 so point is valid surely. I just found it interesting was all, wont take it as gospel til i have driven one. Have driven the base 991 and wasnt impressed. But no doubt if i drove a GTS + it would be a different story

That's @Michelins view which is entirely valid for him.

My experiences, and views are not the same. I've had a 981S, a 981 Spyder but prefer my current car, a 991.2 4 GTS. Each to their own, its great isn't it! And my car is my 'weekend car'. I've got a Macan as my daily driver.

2 hours ago, jimmy p said:

Lol,

Very true, as can be seen on every porsche forum site

:D and that's it! Porsche make a range of cars which suit a lot of different people! Viva la difference!!

41 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

That's @Michelins view which is entirely valid for him.

My experiences, and views are not the same. I've had a 981S, a 981 Spyder but prefer my current car, a 991.2 4 GTS. Each to their own, its great isn't it! And my car is my 'weekend car'. I've got a Macan as my daily driver.

Yes so you havent owned or driven a 997. Nobody mentioned a 991 GTS :huh: which im sure is a great car. Anyway... moving on

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

Yes so you havent owned or driven a 997. Nobody mentioned a 991 GTS :huh: which im sure is a great car. Anyway... moving on

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

My experiences, and views are not the same

I thought this was clear........but as you say moving on

Had a 991.1 C4 PDK for a weekend and loved it - such a accomplished grand tourer. But it's just *so* much money! Wouldn't buy a 997 without a cast iron warranty and frankly would still prefer a 981S.

Is it the difference in price which raises this question, I would struggle to say that our 997 was better than our 987 in any area, different in a few areas, but anything the 911 could do the Boxster could do, except for putting 2 kids in the back.  The dash layout is a bit posher in the 997 with the extra dials and more stitching detail on the leather, plus they all have PCM and most have satnav.  They are both great drivers cars (as I expect all Porsche cars are) but I feel the Boxster was more balanced with its better engine position, the 911 bonnet bobs up and down and I could feel the PSM braking the back wheels to keep the car on track, strange sensations that you get used to but there all the same.  From a 987S with 280PS to a 997 with 225PS the performance gains were there but they did not blow you away and there are Boxsters to match that now.  If I only needed two seats I would buy a Boxster but saying that I was happy to own a 997 for 8 years and would certainly like to own a 997.2 or a 991.1.

On 25/08/2017 at 7:10 PM, JohnSyn said:

I wasn't necessarily looking for a "which one was better" type response.

More people's experience of going from a Boxster to a 911.

Was it significantly better/different or less than expected?

3 hours ago, Waxy said:

Sure,  its been a great experience. The 981s I had were really good but the drive of my 911 is, for me, better. The 911 feels really solid and corners far better than I expected. Also the car accelerates harder than even the Spyder and feels completely comfortable at high speeds. The cockpit feels better too, although I'm sure that's in no small part influenced by having the full GTS interior.

The 991.2 GTS makes a good noise too but the 981 Spyder was much better.

I went for a 911 because I'd always wanted one, for as long as I can remember, and I felt it was the right time. I was very happy with the Boxsters and if I want a cabrio in future that's what I would buy. At the moment though I'm really happy with the 911 and cannot see that changing for some time to come.

Are you local to Blackbushe and thinking of coming to the next meet, on 24 September? If so mine and a few other 911s are likely to be there so you can have a good look and further chat!

Hope this helps.

John - can I ask what spec you have on your car as I am looking at new Carrera GTS and have spent hours on the configurator.

Any options you think you would not buy again or anything you wish you had added? One of the things I am not sure about is the 20mm or 10mm PASM for comfort.

Any guidance would help as I am trying to convince the wife a C2 or C2S doesnt cut it. :)

On 8/25/2017 at 7:10 PM, JohnSyn said:

He'd be shocked if he made it to my house then.

20 minutes ago, jason3.2s said:

John - can I ask what spec you have on your car as I am looking at new Carrera GTS and have spent hours on the configurator.

Any options you think you would not buy again or anything you wish you had added? One of the things I am not sure about is the 20mm or 10mm PASM for comfort.

Any guidance would help as I am trying to convince the wife a C2 or C2S doesnt cut it. :)

Hi Jason

I know the problem.....I spent hours on the configurator too!

I went a bit OTT with the options...nearly £20ks worth!

I had an extended test drive of a C4S, and a shorter drive in a C2. They are very different to the GTS ( I've got a 4), although still great cars. In my opinion the GTS is much more of a drivers car, to be driven 'spiritedly'. The one thing which should help in your discussion is that the GTS includes a number of what would be options for the C2s and C4s but at less cost.

I've got PDK, which is so quick and a dream to use, and rear wheel steer both of which I would thoroughly recommend. I've got the 'standard' sports suspension with -20mm. Its very firm but I do not find it uncomfortable nor too solid when going over undulating roads or bumps. To be honest I'm  still in the 'honeymoon period' with my car so I'm probably not the best person to ask! There is nothing I've added to the car, by way of options, I regret. Happy to provided, via PM, details of  the options I specified.

Anyway, if all else fails delete the rear signage of the car and say its a C2!!

12 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Are you local to Blackbushe and thinking of coming to the next meet, on 24 September? If so mine and a few other 911s are likely to be there so you can have a good look and further chat!

I live in Borehamwood in Hertfordshire. Checking Google maps it isn't a million miles away. Will have to check if I am busy that day and if not may well pop along.

3 hours ago, Waxy said:

I live in Borehamwood in Hertfordshire. Checking Google maps it isn't a million miles away. Will have to check if I am busy that day and if not may well pop along.

Great! It would be good to catch up. Tyre kicking is mandatory so lots to chat about!!

2 hours ago, jason3.2s said:

Thanks John for the info, the biggest difference (other than price) I found between my  981S and the 911 C2S I drove was how solid it felt and how it stuck to the road.

Will organise some test drives of a C2 and GTS.

Cheers

Best of luck Jason, I hope it helps to make your mind up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone from a 911 (I've owned most variants in my time) to a very old 2.5 Boxster, I love the Boxster for all the wrong reasons.

911's will always be the more desirable car because it's less attainable to some, some of the reasons for owning a 911 are wrong, straight line foot down smiles are just awesome, 4 seats, 50 year heritage, but they do come with a sting in the tail, you need to be more careful in a 911, although modern 911's have gone a long with with all the eltrecrickery to help the careless driver.

will I go back to a 911, maybe one day, but it will be aircooled.

Well...I nearly pulled the trigger on a 997.2 Carrera last week, but the missus put me off because she said it looked boring compared to my Boxster...it was silver with grey wheels.

And it made me think actually I would possibly want to hold out for a 991 and probably at least a Carrera S.

On 30/08/2017 at 4:40 PM, Waxy said:

Your asking the question so means you have an itch. Scratch it, no wrong choices or 'best' car just go on the journey and take the plunge

I will have to take a drive in a 911 sometime to see what it`s all about. I popped into Portsmouth OPC the other day as I was passing and busting for a leak. There were several 911`s there for sale. The interior is not much different to my 981 GTS so I just don`t get it. Yes, classic lines with long proven provenance but premium price.

Archived