981 -> 911

Waxy

Just wondering if anyone has gone from a Boxster to a 911 and if so what their experience was of said move?

I had always planned to eventually end up in a 911 and wanted to see if what people's experience/opinion was of this move.

cheers

Waxy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did 987 to 996 C4 nothing wrong with the 987 did everything I wanted including track days,BUT! as I was getting no younger and now had means to get a 911 which from a very early age of building airfix models of them, was a car I never dreamt I would own.

So did research read the horror stories etc and ended up with a 03 996.2 C4 which is stunning and every time I drive it I feel very content and thats  before you floor it on country roads and it just  takes off and for its age there is not a rattle from anything its so well built.At present cannot see me going back to a Boxster.

I tried a mates 996 C4S yesterday...  it looks lovely, especially with the wide rear end, and agree it was well built, but the actual driving experience wasn't anything much over my 987, apart from more torque - certainly not the extra 20k I'd have to upgrade

And it was was smaller - I'm 6'3", and the 996 was definitely a bit tighter for my frame for both leg and headroom....

Might be unfounded worries about going to a 911;

1) Some appear quite wide, one of the things I like about the Boxster is it's nimble and can squeeze through gaps.

2) Fitting into lean to garage, 987.1 and 981 (loan) fits quite nicely, but at first glance reversing in isn't going to work, again the extra width on a 911 might be too much.

3) Is it going to be £20k better?

Thought of a C4 though :-) Mwahahaha

43 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

Might be unfounded worries about going to a 911;

1) Some appear quite wide, one of the things I like about the Boxster is it's nimble and can squeeze through gaps.

2) Fitting into lean to garage, 987.1 and 981 (loan) fits quite nicely, but at first glance reversing in isn't going to work, again the extra width on a 911 might be too much.

3) Is it going to be £20k better?

Thought of a C4 though :-) Mwahahaha

not saying anything :)

but I have been checking the size of the 911 996 C4S just to see 'if' it would fit in my garage! the C4S is surprisingly not much wider go figure

my 986S is width 70.1in or 1781mm

the 996 is

Width       1999-2001: 69.5 in (1,765 mm)
2002-2004: 69.7 in (1,770 mm)
4S & Turbo: 72.0 in (1,829 mm)

Interestingly I recently sat in a 991.1 and was astonished how similar the 911 was inside to the 981.

It felt almost the same from the driver's seat.

I am interested to know how much of difference there is between the mid-engine and rear engine configurations 

Yep...I've done this.

Went 981S....981 Spyder.....991.2 4 GTS.

All great cars which I truly loved driving.

However, for me, there was an improvement with each car. But each to their own

The 911 is a different car to the Boxster but, for me, the latest 911 is the best car I've driven.

Try one....very few then don't put a deposit down!

former 911 SC owner ( 9 years , 70k miles )

there is a world of difference between a modern 911 & classic 911 .My latest P Car, a 986 boxster ,2.5 , Tip ,is among the most derided P cars I have ever owned .But........................... ..

its pure Porsche in its DNA , the balance & handling is superb , not underpowered for road use , and at a price point that is incredible VFM.

I like the Boxster, a very nice car , well mannered , comfortable, and a full chat soundtrack to add smiles !

KT

Ive had about 7 boxsters and 3 911's.

Currently have 981.

They are different drives. 911 feels heavier my 996 c4s felt more planted but nowhere near as much fun as a boxster. Sounded amazing with pse but never fully gelled with it.

Had a 993 lovely car, sometimes wish i still had it but was always worried something was going to go wrong with it due to its age.

996 C2 I recently had was probably the pick as felt lighter and more fun than the c4s.

They feel bigger due to the 2+2 configuration however dimension wise there isnt much difference, clearly 991's are bigger. 

Will i buy another 911 - yes

Will i buy another boxster - yes

They are both great cars, 911 has the prestige, boxster has fun and value for money

I think it's mainly down to what you want to spend/can afford.  I have gone from a 981 Boxster GTS to a new 991.2 GTS - if I couldn't have afforded that change I wouldn't have settled for an older 911 as the BGTS was so good, but just like John in a post above, I think the 911 I have is a big step up and a fantastic car.  There is a misconception about 911's being big - my 991.2 is the same width front end as my BGTS was, yes the rear is wider, but the mirrors are still the widest point on the car, its about a foot longer though if that matters.  The 911 is a very nimble car - really 'chuckable'.  Would I ever go back to a Boxster?  I doubt it very much - but never say never!

I went to other way round 911 (964 C2) to Boxster (986S) some years ago. Loved both cars but now I wish I kept the 964. Saying that my current 981S is a totally different altogether.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:44 PM, Gorsh said:

There is a misconception about 911's being big - my 991.2 is the same width front end as my BGTS was, yes the rear is wider, but the mirrors are still the widest point on the car

The 981 and 991 basically share the same interior and front end. Then just get the different engine configs 'bolted' on behind the drivers seat!

41 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The 981 and 991 basically share the same interior and front end. Then just get the different engine configs 'bolted' on behind the drivers seat!

Yes, the width is the same anyway - not sure about legroom.  The 991 cabin feels a lot more spacious though, door windows and windscreen seem deeper (not checked it, just my impression) - and the dashboard is a lot different but switches and controls are almost the same.  Plus the glass sunroof helps improve the 'airiness' too!

43 minutes ago, michelin said:

I've gone from 911 997 to a 981. 

Best move I ever made! 

The 981 is truly a superb motor!

Do you find much difference in character of the engine's?

I chose a 981 over a 991 (and 718) as I felt it was more fun to drive which is what I wanted out of a weekend car. As it happens I've driven the 981 much more than I planned lol

Its just a better mix for me than a 991 would have been i.e. I have nice luxury daily drivers and the 991 would not have provided as much of a contrast. If I was looking for a porsche as a daily I would however have chosen the 991 over the 981 simply as its more of a GT car for motorway work.

6 hours ago, michelin said:

Yes in favour unbelievably! :-)

I had just assumed a 997 would habe even more character. Driving mine tonight though on a gorgeous evening it is an absolute PEACH :D

Archived