Test Drive of 718 Boxster S vs my 987.2 S - thoughts

onedesi

Well today I was lucky enough to be given a test drive in a new 718 Boxster S and my short summary is - impressive B) BUT !

Before I start I am not a pro driver (many people can attest to that here who have seen me drive :D) and these are just my musings so no offence meant to anyone.

I drove to the OPC in my 987.2S and my expectation was to be disappointed by the 718, after all its only a 4 pot so how good can it be ????

The car itself was a PDK one with the PSE and as we drove out the interior reminded me of the 981 with a lot more buttons, I mean a lot more buttons - the steering wheel had way too many buttons on it I much prefer the the simplicity of my PDK paddle wheel on the 987.  The Audi influence is clear to see.

Drive wise, it felt very light and agile and I put this down to the electric steering, the lack of weight for me was unnerving but damn this car was good on the twisty's.

The noise, the sound is really gruff and the car barks at you but if I didn't own an older boxster this wouldn't put me off, it was really quite fun although the PSE just amplifies the sound and it was too much in a bad way, the extra volume made the cabin uncomfortable so I switched it off - standard is more than enough for this engine.

I really enjoyed driving it and when we got back I paused to sum up my thoughts - my conclusion is, it is not worth the upgrade cost of c.£45k from my current car to get an improved interior - driving back I pushed my car and it felt great, a bit more weighty and possibly a little less compliant than the 718 as well as having a poorer interior but where it matters, the drive, my car was equally as good if not marginally better in my eyes!

So for me an "update" to a 718 isn't worth it (it definitely isn't an upgrade) but for those who have and for new to Porsche owners its a cracking little car so congrats :thumbsup_still:

Trouble is I drove a 911 (991.2) as well and that was just sublime - now that is a car which is worthy upgrade - so much so that I want to go back and test drive a 997 and a 991 back to back so I can then let the man maths take over ;)

Best not to talk about the chance drive in a Clio 182 :worship:

Pretty balanced review there mate 

agree on all points, upgrading was a strange experience since I essentially felt I was trading my car for a slightly newer one with a nicer interior and brighter colour but was paying twice what my silver one was worth.... 

i don't regret it but can understand the thought process there 100 percent. 

i think the 781 is going to be personal to people who like the Barky exhaust and pops and crackles, I love it but I think 50 percent of people don't… and literally everyone loved the 981 noise… I find it a little ironic as my best mate has a new 911 turbo s and my 718 sounds really similar. 

On clios ………………… where do I start, I sold my Clio Williams 8 or 9 years ago for 6 grand.... ffs

2 hours ago, Paulo123 said:

Pretty balanced review there mate 

On clios ………………… where do I start, I sold my Clio Williams 8 or 9 years ago for 6 grand.... ffs

Thanks, it was a pleasant surprise tbh and I can see how in 5 years the new porsche crowd won't miss the 6 pots - the 718 was a lot of fun.

the Clio, I have this hankering to do track days but my 987 is too precious to me (I got the bug ever since the Nurburgring visit) and from what I've read the Clio 182 is a cheap and good way in.  The one I saw had a bottom up engine rebuild with upgraded parts as well as lots of nice suspension refreshes.  I'm soooo tempted!

a Clio Williams is like having a pension fund you can enjoy now ..... never mind you've defo got the better car now :)

• 5 months later...

I thought I’d add to these musings as I spent most of yesterday at Solihull OPC showing a friend the way into Porsche ownership ?

he had never owned a Porsche and since he’s having a mid-life crisis was looking at a newish Boxster or cayman.  In his own words he thought the 718 S was a brilliant car and since he had no view on the 6 pots he felt the sound of the 4 pot was brilliant and loved the sports exhaust ? handling was brilliant and easily usable as a daily driver.

from my perspective I got to look at the cars a lot and I’ve now come to the conclusion I really like the look of the 718 and prefer it to the 981 ? never thought I’d say that - I can now see how the 718 looks more like my 987 and the 981 is the more aggressive looking.

i need to check I’ve taken my medication as I may just be falling for the 718, especially in Carmine Red ?

2 hours ago, onedesi said:

especially in Carmine Red

Gobind, somebody has hacked your account..!

I thought it was you until they said they would consider a Red car :huh:

TBH the more I look at the 718, the more I like it. Especially in the Lava Orange as per the video review 

I'm going to go up to the OPC at the Tewkesbury M5 junction and take a look / listen 

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, onedesi said:

Trouble is I drove a 911 (991.2) as well and that was just sublime - now that is a car which is worthy upgrade - so much so that I want to go back and test drive a 997 and a 991 back to back so I can then let the man maths take over ;)

Did you ever do this? The 991.2s are great cars! However, if I wanted a convertible, which I'm sure I will at some time ( I do miss driving 'topless'!) I'd have a 718. I know about the debate on sound, and of course each to their own, but with each new iteration of car Porsche do improve the vehicle. And I agree with what you have said in your most recent post, the 718 looks really good!

1 hour ago, John K said:

Gobind, somebody has hacked your account..!

I thought it was you until they said they would consider a Red car :huh:

I'm going to go up to the OPC at the Tewkesbury M5 junction and take a look / listen 

It’s me John and not totally lost it ?and hopefully the pic below should give you some idea why I’ve fallen for the 718, BLUE is my colour but the first time I saw Carmine Red (its a deep read much like the BMW Imola Red) I knew it was for me.

the sport design pack for the 718 makes a massive difference IMO

Boxsters

27 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

( I do miss driving 'topless'!) 

? the mind boggles ?

27 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Did you ever do this? The 991.2s are great cars! However, if I wanted a convertible, which I'm sure I will at some time ( I do miss driving 'topless'!) I'd have a 718. I know about the debate on sound, and of course each to their own, but with each new iteration of car Porsche do improve the vehicle. And I agree with what you have said in your most recent post, the 718 looks really good!

I did actually, OPC Wolves were really accommodating?

i drove a 997.2 C4 and the same 991.2 as before and my summary would be that the 991.2 looks more purposeful and is a really accomplished car, very easy to drive and to live with but the 997 was an ‘event’, being older the gadget count was a lot lower but as soon as I fired it up (no sports exhaust) it sounded fun and as we drove around the sound was grin inducing all the way.  The steering on the 997 was heavier and I put this down to the electric steering on the 991.2, which was too easy for my liking, actually everything in the 991 was too easy so it stopped feeling like a sports car for me.

my conclusion is I would prefer the 997.2 and this is ultimately what I hope to by but my dilemma is I love having a convertible and can only afford 1 nice car (I don’t like the 911 targa or convertible) so until I can cure myself of “hairdresser syndrome” ? I’m firmly stuck in Boxster territory.

now where’s my lottery ticket .....?

40 minutes ago, onedesi said:

but my dilemma is I love having a convertible

You love the feeling of the wind in your beard... :P

Actually that is my problem, I love driving with the roof down at every opportunity. And I know everybody must at some time own a 911

However, to my eyes (and this is utterly a personal thing) I find the 911 Convertible looks too 'pumped' and bulgy. I love the Boxster lines.

So if I want to continue living the life of false tan, whitened teeth and bikini line waxes in a Hairdresser mobile, it's a Boxster and at some point a 718 for me

10 minutes ago, John K said:

Actually that is my problem, I love driving with the roof down at every opportunity. And I know everybody must at some time own a 911

However, to my eyes (and this is utterly a personal thing) I find the 911 Convertible looks too 'pumped' and bulgy. I love the Boxster lines.

So if I want to continue living the life of false tan, whitened teeth and bikini line waxes in a Hairdresser mobile, it's a Boxster and at some point a 718 for me

Guilty as charged :D

6 hours ago, John K said:

Totally agree with you John about the boxster.

I did think about a cabrio 991.2 but I also think they look wrong. Not the same way as you, I think they look like a coupe that has been converted, but nevertheless wrong. The Boxster was designed by Porsche as a convertible and in my opinion looks a fantastic car. I'm sure at some time in the I'll have another, or maybe I'll be in competition with you for a mobility scooter!!! 

9 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

The Boxster was designed by Porsche as a convertible and in my opinion looks a fantastic car.

Bingo, designed from a clean sheet to be one... :thumbsup_still:

Get a mobility scooter as well, we can race them..!

My boss has offered my a bonus if I can get a "drunk in charge of", they will raise a statue in my honor if I do

Yep I agree 911 convertible just doesn’t look half as good as a Boxster. Though the touted roadster version doesn’t look too bad.

I think the 718 does look good though, I can’t really say whether it’s better or worse than 981, both look great IMO. The only thing I don’t like on the 718 is the over large plastic side intakes, makes a less elegant side profile IMO.

41 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

:thumbsup_anim:

Just noticed Kent... That makes you to all extent and purposes an Essex boy... They don't make scooters in white to match your high heels :D

1 minute ago, John K said:

Just noticed Kent... That makes you to all extent and purposes an Essex boy... They don't make scooters in white to match your high heels :D

There is a significant difference between Kent and Essex, not least one is north and the other south of the Thames!

You've been watching too much TOWIE !!!

6 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

You've been watching too much TOWIE !!!

I love this forum - it gives you the opportunity the grievously offend people you have never met before.

I live in the Midlands, so Kent, Essex, you're all wide boys and think Ford car engines reached their apogee at the CrossFlow*

*And please  don't tell anybody I agree, thats what lives in the Westie...

2 minutes ago, John K said:

I love this forum - it gives you the opportunity the grievously offend people you have never met before.

I live in the Midlands, so Kent, Essex, you're all wide boys and think Ford car engines reached their apogee at the CrossFlow*

*And please  don't tell anybody I agree, thats what lives in the Westie...

Nice one! :laughingsmiley:

13 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I do miss driving 'topless'!

12 hours ago, onedesi said:

? the mind boggles 

I could photoshop that but I think the forum would be shut down shortly afterwards... no offence John :)

5 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Totally agree with you John about the boxster.

I did think about a cabrio 991.2 but I also think they look wrong. Not the same way as you, I think they look like a coupe that has been converted, but nevertheless wrong. T

agreed the 911 Coupe looks great (John's GTS as a good example) but the cabrio looks odd at the rear, just doesn't flow properly with that big bulbous hump/backside

Just now, Stuart21UK said:

I could photoshop that but I think the forum would be shut down shortly afterwards... no offence John :)

I for one would like to see what you come up with that doesnt shut the forum down ;)

Maybe we could run this as a competition and the winner gets to buy John a coffee :P

1 minute ago, onedesi said:

I for one would like to see what you come up with that doesnt shut the forum down ;)

Maybe we could run this as a competition and the winner gets to buy John a coffee :P

or a new top...

Archived