Test Drive of 718 Boxster S vs my 987.2 S - thoughts

onedesi

31 minutes ago, onedesi said:

I for one would like to see what you come up with that doesnt shut the forum down ;)

Maybe we could run this as a competition and the winner gets to buy John a coffee :P

Ashridge 2017...

TLO8aUq.jpg

27 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Ashridge 2017...

TLO8aUq.jpg

Fantastic Stuart! Although you've just got me into trouble as I laughed so loudly I disturbed my wife watching TV in the other room!!

You have truly surpassed yourself!!

Right...after all this hilarity.....back to the OP. In regard to the sound the 718 makes has anyone heard how the 718 GTS sounds? Porsche normally do something to GTS exhausts which tend to sound better than the 'normal' PSE.

2 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Right...after all this hilarity.....back to the OP. In regard to the sound the 718 makes has anyone heard how the 718 GTS sounds? Porsche normally do something to GTS exhausts which tend to sound better than the 'normal' PSE.

Yep. I drove one at the PEC yesterday. 

I’ve not actually heard a standard 718S to compare but the GTS sounded good to me.  Different of course to my 987.2S with PSE, but it certainly sounded like a sports car.  

It is fairly deep and throaty and gave me pops, crackles and bangs so no complaints at all. 

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

I didn’t even think they would do something special to the GTS over the PSE, are you sure about this?

6 hours ago, onedesi said:

I didn’t even think they would do something special to the GTS over the PSE, are you sure about this?

Absolutely..certainly with the 981 GTS and many of the 911 GTSs 

23 hours ago, onedesi said:

16 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Absolutely..certainly with the 981 GTS and many of the 911 GTSs 

are we discussing if the GTS exhaust is different to the normal one?

I am sure the replacement PSE exhaust on my S is different to the one it had in it originally from new in 2013 (after warranty replacement in 2017)

9 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

are we discussing if the GTS exhaust is different to the normal one?

I am sure the replacement PSE exhaust on my S is different to the one it had in it originally from new in 2013 (after warranty replacement in 2017)

Yes Stuart. This is what I've been told by the OPC I deal with plus on both the 981 and the 991.2 there are noticeable differences in the sound of the exhaust from a GTS and another car in the range with PSE.

Interesting that the new PSE on yours is different to the original.

• 1 year later...

Time for an update as I was kindly given a 718 Boxster T as a loan car while my 987.2 was being serviced.

Since I had it for the day i was able to drive it on my usual commute and in normal mode this car is beautifully balanced and dare I say it, feels less cumbersome than my 987.2, not a criticism I’d ever thought I’d make 😳

the tech in the 718 is just brilliant and having DAB radio was wonderful 🤣

the 718 just felt light and handled pot holes much better than my car so everything so good so far, now let’s talk about noise 😰

i really like the 4 cylinder sound and it really brings out the hooligan in me but boy this car doesn’t need a sports exhaust, the sports exhaust just makes the car sound like a tractor when on song - it’s just awful.

so would I buy one?  Well, I’d have to drive a 981 in anger before I’m sure but I hope the prices of 718’s really suffer as I. An genuinely see myself buying one in the future - great car and I absolutely love the grab handles for door handles of the T.

Archived