Oil leak advisory on mot..

Tipster

Welcome.

Depends on the severity of the leak and from where. Nearly all of them mist around the engine/gearbox junction from a weeping RMS (seal). If it is dripping then it needs to be monitored and work to replace the seal (gearbox dropped) will be required in the not too distant future. Worst case the leak is from the IMS (seal). There's a sticky about the IMS on here.

Unusual to mention it as an MOT advisory. Suggests it's significant.

Mine had the RMS and IMS replaced, yet the RMS still sweat, but never dripped or anything. I just monitored it and and gave it a wipe it off every few months or so. It could also be spark plug tubes as they can leak oil, but they're a simple/cheap enough replacement. You need more info I think. 

That's the spirit. JFBI! 

A little oil weep isn't a game changer (unless it helps you negotiate a better price...) 

take a trolley jack and pop it up, see where it's coming from. Take some phone pics and share on here. 

By the time you've done that, he's either discounted more, explained more, or advertised the car more! 

Is the leak only advised on the last MOT? 

If it's recurring, at multiple garages maybe get a pro to look. If it's just one overzealous tester, call him and ask what would inspire such a remark...

hope this helps...

Yes, ideally you should worry. But as suggested, the level of oil leak is important.

My previous 986 had RMS (Rear main Seal) Leak when I purchased, the MOT had the advisory. I checked with OPC and warned that was not severe, so kept driving for nearly 4 years without an issue, just making sure that oil level is above average. 

Archived