Water pump swap!

JohnnyUK

If the bearings are really stuffed then I get the fact that the impeller would rub the engine.... In either case you will have shavings of either plastic, or metal in the coolant. At a push I would prefer this to a chunk of plastic blocking a waterway.  

11 minutes ago, edc said:

How many real cases of metal impeller pumps grinding the case say have people actually seen? We've all heard the rumour but I've never seen a case. 

I've seen plastic ones break (not on a Porsche though)

Pros and cons for both I think :)

36 minutes ago, JohnnyUK said:

My choice was middle, you never pay the list price because of a discount! £127 vs £104 for the cheapest. Then a 35% discount. 

ECP discount does my head in.

That pump is £83 on Ebay from Carpartssaver, which is ECP !

And similarly why are plastic bits in the coolant any better than metal bits? Sure it ain't fantastic but it's not in the same league as bits in your oil. I've read of more IMS failures than metal pumps damaging a block - I haven't actually read or seen first hand of any. 

19 minutes ago, edc said:

I haven't actually read or seen first hand of any. 

Lots of noise on the 986 forum about it :)

There is a brand new Geba pump on Ebay for 70 quid

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-911-Carrera-Boxster-Cayman-Geba-Water-Pump-99710601105-/182703779974?epid=2162230753&hash=item2a89fe7086:g:dbUAAOSwa2lZhiHP

.......and then I found this :

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43533-geba-pump-metal-impeller.html

Don't know if you've got the pump yet but a genuine Porsche one from carpartsforless on eBay is £182 (£214 from their website)

ECP list it for £275 (the Laso is 245) but being its the same company they might match the price if you ask them.

I don't want to steel the thread from the OP but a quick opinion would be good please on the subject of water pump replacement.

I'm off in November on a long drive to South Spain for a couple of weeks and my Boxster has done 133k I don't know it the pump has ever been changed should I get it done?

1 minute ago, John2000 said:

I don't want to steel the thread from the OP but a quick opinion would be good please on the subject of water pump replacement.

I'm off in November on a long drive to South Spain for a couple of weeks and my Boxster has done 133k I don't know it the pump has ever been changed should I get it done?

Well mine let me know for a month or so that it was on the way out and I was happy using the car for 40 mile runs. I would not have been comfortable with more. If you want to check the pump then take off the inspection plate, fix back on with 2 bolts then take the car for a run. Leave the engine running and whip the cover off... You will see water leaks... If the pump is past it... If you wait too long the water will evaporate on the hot engine. You could take the belt off and check for play in the pump, any wobble and it's best to change! 

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Don't know if you've got the pump yet but a genuine Porsche one from carpartsforless on eBay is £182 (£214 from their website)

ECP list it for £275 (the Laso is 245) but being its the same company they might match the price if you ask them.

Cheers Paul... I have the kwp pump and as stated it is a metal impeller. I have 30 days to return if I want the plastic (cheaper) version. If I thought the extra cost was just for the metal impeller I would take the cheaper version. I am hoping the cost has gone into bearings.... But who really knows? ? 

1 hour ago, JohnnyUK said:

Cheers Paul... I have the kwp pump and as stated it is a metal impeller. I have 30 days to return if I want the plastic (cheaper) version. If I thought the extra cost was just for the metal impeller I would take the cheaper version. I am hoping the cost has gone into bearings.... But who really knows? ? 

Cheaper one (Circoli) has a metal impeller, not plastic.

The only pumps that you can get with the plastic impellers that I know of are the Porsche one (which is made by Pierburg) and the Laso.

16 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Cheaper one (Circoli) has a metal impeller, not plastic.

The only pumps that you can get with the plastic impellers that I know of are the Porsche one (which is made by Pierburg) and the Laso.

Well that's me done then. Will stick with the KPW. Thanks for the info. Saved me mucking about with ECP. ☺ 

2 hours ago, John2000 said:

My car has 105k on it when I bought it one November and I was doing a week Spain and Portugal in September. Pump got changed in January. 

1 hour ago, cd911993 said:

I have noticed you are only going to purchase 5ltr of antifreeze, you need 11 to get it to 50/50 mix, Porsche have changed it to the Pink/Red type aswell.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have thought about getting some more... A 30/60 mix will go down to -20 so should be enough for sea level west coast Cheshire! Tbh I could only get about 2 gallons out with the car level on stands.. Will drop the rear and see what drains..... It's a £4k car so any fresh coolant is a bonus! 

Thanks Chris, I have thought about getting some more... A 30/60 mix will go down to -20 so should be enough for sea level west coast Cheshire! Tbh I could only get about 2 gallons out with the car level on stands.. Will drop the rear and see what drains..... It's a £4k car so any fresh coolant is a bonus! 

D'oh a 33/66% mix might be better. The 30/60% might have the other 10% as an air lock!? 

There's a couple of hoses underneath you can undo to get another 6 litres out, 16 litres was the best I managed.  

I did however flush the system with demineralised water before filling with coolant.  Different coolants don't react well together and you never know what the previous owner put in.

I also fitted a low temp thermostat, the old thermostat would sometimes stick open when cold so took ages to warm up.  It was project creep that resulted in the new pump and coolant.

11 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

There's a couple of hoses underneath you can undo to get another 6 litres out, 16 litres was the best I managed.  

I did however flush the system with demineralised water before filling with coolant.  Different coolants don't react well together and you never know what the previous owner put in.

I also fitted a low temp thermostat, the old thermostat would sometimes stick open when cold so took ages to warm up.  It was project creep that resulted in the new pump and coolant.

Yep, had both main hoses off. Not planning to re use old coolant as it had been watered down when topping up lost fluid. Will crank temp up high to see if that opens heater matrix and spills more coolant. Will fill with water to flush and check for leaks before re filling with antifreeze. Job done I hope. 

I've talked to two shop owners who between them have seen into thousands of M96 Boxster engines and they both advise to use plastic impeller pumps. Since one of them builds $25k+ engines with dozens of improved parts and has no skin in the game over what pump you buy and the other guy just wants to protect his shop's reputation, I think their repeated forum comments on the subject bear listening to.

18 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

YouTube Road and Race suggest taking out fuse b1 to disable ATF coolant valve when flushing and filling system on a Tiptronic 986.... Which mine is. Any thoughts ? 

I didn't know about this when I did mine, but doesn't seem to have had any effect. I suppose if you're trying to get as much of the old coolant out as possible then it would be worth doing. My coolant had been charged a couple of years ago and so I didn't need to change it.

Well the pump is on, thermostat opened at exactly 83 degrees and no leaks. Car on charge tonight and we will be out for a run tomorrow! ☺ 

Good work? Did you open the air bleed valve? I left this open for my first run and then closed it when I got back in case any further air was trapped. Just topped up with coolant when it had cooled and it's been good as gold since.

Archived