Water pump swap!

JohnnyUK

Well she is on the axle stands and the pump/ thermostat bolts are being soaked in WD40 until the weekend. I am paranoid about snapping a bolt on removal. Anyone had experience swapping out the pump? The YouTube vids always look to easy!

Did it myself a couple of months ago, I never felt worried about snapping any bolts, but depends on whether someone else has been in there first and bodged something or overtightened. Some of the bolts are tricky to access, so you might need some ingenuity. I put some pics on my running report "Nobbies Bargain Boxster"

Good luck?

Hi access is very tight, but I managed to change mine entirely through the engine access panel in the passenger compartment. I invested in a slim handled ratchet as I found that my standard one was too fat to allow the socket over several of the bolts

The ratchet I bought was a Wera Zyklop 8004A quarter inch drive which did the job perfectly.

None of the bolts were particularly tight do they came out easily.

Good luck Jon

10 minutes ago, myfirstboxster said:

Awkward job to do due to poor access ,hardest part for me was removing the old metal gasket ,you've got to halve it to get it out and it can be razor sharp so watch your fingers !  

Good point, I learnt the hard way?

Thinking of changing the pump on mine as a preventative measure, but had planned on getting an Indy to do it. Is this a job that can be reasonably done on the driveway without ramps / axle stands.

Also, any issues with bleeding the coolant after? Read some posts about having to get the cars back end in the air to help purging system of air locks.

Don't even think of trying it without ramps or axle stands.

I changed my coolant at the same time as replacing the pump.  Make sure you get the same type as what's currently in the car, I never had any problems with air locks.

well the easy access bolts have cracked loose easy enough. Will drain engine tomorrow and drop the pump. Eurocarparts will do a pump, gasket and 5lt of coolant. Weekend discount gives 35% off! Also loosened a couple of the coil pack screws as oil tube rings are perished too... Mission creep setting in all ready!☺ 

I wouldn't fit any pump to a Boxster/911 that didn't have a composite impeller. 

KWP looks like a metal impeller, I would check online at the problems you can encounter with a metal impeller before fitting it.

8 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

will check it when I collect it. The cheaper option did not get great reviews. Somehow I don't expect to get another 100,000 miles on either!☺ 

I suspect a lot depends on how you drive it. Most of my driving is done at high revs so I went for the expensive one. I suspect the cheaper ones are fine for everyday use, but probably don't last too long if you regularly use the full rev range as the bearings will probably not be as good quality and it seems to be this component that fails when a water pump breaks.

I fitted a Laso pump, had good reviews from guys in the trade.  

When the bearings wear on a water pump, the impeller makes contact with the block on our engines.  A metal impeller will then create aluminium fragments  which spreads throughout the engine.  You can see why Porsche fit a composite impeller as standard.

Decisions decisions! I am all for saving £20 but don't want to be underneath again in 8000 miles because the bearing has gone. That said, the significant play in the old pump does not translate to any visible lateral movement in the impeller. Will discuss if they will swap when I go to collect!

2 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

I fitted a Laso pump, had good reviews from guys in the trade.  

When the bearings wear on a water pump, the impeller makes contact with the block on our engines.  A metal impeller will then create aluminium fragments  which spreads throughout the engine.  You can see why Porsche fit a composite impeller as standard.

An Indy told me that Laso are the original equipment supplier to Porsche for the water pumps. Also, think there is a 'how to' video on YouTube from someone who replaced their waterpump & apparently it was the original pump - in the vid it was quite clear that it was a Laso pump being removed (had the branding on it....).

Where did you get your Laso pump & how much was it?

10 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

An Indy told me that Laso are the original equipment supplier to Porsche for the water pumps.

Think the originals are made buy Pierburg

All the cheap ones seem to have metal impellers.

14 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I suspect a lot depends on how you drive it. Most of my driving is done at high revs so I went for the expensive one. I suspect the cheaper ones are fine for everyday use, but probably don't last too long if you regularly use the full rev range as the bearings will probably not be as good quality and it seems to be this component that fails when a water pump breaks.

Exactly this. Wise-Nobbie speaketh the truth....

The 'cheapest option' ECP pump was fitted to my car by an indie in the South-West for the PO.

I drive my car like Stuttgart intended and the pump lasted a mere 15 months and 9k miles before making the death-noise :angry: (I had it changed before it actually failed).

Don't buy a cheap one, anyone....

Cheers, Baggers.

How many real cases of metal impeller pumps grinding the case say have people actually seen? We've all heard the rumour but I've never seen a case. 

Archived