Condensation / roof fabric retaining moisture

K.I.T.T.

When I acquired my 986 a year ago, there was always an issue with condensation on the inside of the rear screen. Turned out the carpet behind the driver's seat was soaked through due to an earlier issue with the roofing cup which had since been rectified. I managed to dry it out as much as I can and the condensation was much reduced. Not eliminated, but there was a massive difference.

Drove it yesterday after about a week of torrential rain and the condensation was pretty bad. I was worried water was getting into the cockpit again. A quick look didn't reveal anything, but feeling the top (inside) of the roof material suggested it was quite damp. Not soaking wet, but you could tell it was retaining moisture. I presume that's the origin of the condensation.

Has anyone else experienced the same? It's a 986.1 with the early roof, sans headliner.

Have you ever taken the carpets out to fully dry them? I suspect there could still be a fair amount of moisture under the carpet gradually making it's way out. I presume you run the air con permanently during winter, otherwise it could just be moisture in the warm air condensing on th coldest parts when you get out.

I still need to do the condensers and get the system refilled :ph34r:

The carpets could probably do with replacing in all honesty, but I'll probably wait till spring / summer for that one. I'm pretty sure the roof fabric seems to be retaining some moisture....

7 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

I still need to do the condensers and get the system refilled :ph34r:

The carpets could probably do with replacing in all honesty, but I'll probably wait till spring / summer for that one. I'm pretty sure the roof fabric seems to be retaining some moisture....

Get your ar*e round here and we'll get them sorted one weekend. Without aircon, I think it's inevitable that you'll get condensation on the roof/window over winter. About the only way of reducing it is to put the blowers on cold with no recirculating for the last 5 mins of each journey, as cold air can't hold as much moisture as warm air. Or just drive everywhere with the roof down?

Have you used a waterproofing product on the roof, like Fabsil? People here enter beading competitions, at least you'd know it wasn't the roof itself.

After torrential rain I'm wondering if you have a leak into the cabin somewhere. Drain holes are the usual culprit, followed by door membranes. Aircon or heater matrix might be another but that wouldn't be influenced by a rainstorm.

The roof has a waterproof membrane. If you have a damp roof on the inside then it's either condensation being absorbed from inside the cabin or your roof has gone bad and it is leaking through. How much beading you get on the outside should be largely irrelevant to how watertight the roof actually is.

24 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Get a few of those dehumidifier bags that were mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago (Aldi?) and try those for a few weeks (oven drying preferably) see if they make much difference. 

I use these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LARGE-DEHUMIDIFIER-REUSABLE-MOISTURE-ABSORBED/dp/B00AZZB5UY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1507284119&sr=8-7&keywords=dehumidifier+bags

But make sure you dry them in the oven to re-charge as this maximises efficiency apparently.

Other members use different dehumidifier products, I can't confirm how effective mine are, but I never get condensation in the car.  I do use a dehumidifier in the garage and always use a/c though...

Pretty sure the drain holes are fine, but I'll check these again - along with the roofing cups. It doesn't appear as if water's entering the cabin.

I may just need to get the AC fixed and use it. It's been a PITA to demist recently.

My bet is on the carpet backing retaining water from your original  leaky problem, there is a thick 1" foam backing with a waterproof membraine before it all attaches to the carpet, drying these out completly whilst still in the car is almost impossible.

Re water proofing your roof with a fabsil type product will help dry out the roof quicker as it will stop water soaking into the roof fabric, bit as others have mentioned the roof has a water proof layer so you shouldnt be getting moisture into the car from the outside, however if your car is warm on the inside and the outside fabric is wet and cold, just like windows in your house it could create condensation build up on the inside of the roof, sealing it to create quicker drying will only help the situation.

@the baron, I managed to dry it pretty well (old newspaper worked wonders) over the space of a few weeks. The front (pedal area) is still damp though and I'm probably going to replace. This massive condensation issue only started this week, so I'm not too convinced it's the carpet as this has been a known issue for some time.

May just be the weather / temperature accentuating it.

If your previous leak problem was fixed Spring/Summer then I'm not surprised now with the cooler nights you notice the condensation more. Old newspaper soaks up a reasonable amount but as above I bet the foam sound insulation is still pretty wet. Peel back the carpet and get a proper feel underneath.

My cars leak free, but in the winter months I still get a bit of condensation, depending on the weather. Had soft tops for nearly 15 years now, and you will always get this problem to some extent if the car is left outside in my experience.

I now use 151 dehumidifiers which seem to work really well. Every six to eight weeks or so they are full, and they stop the hood from going mouldy on the inside. Removing the wind deflector between the seats also seems to help, plus you can then wipe off any condensation on the inside of the rear screen.

It does sound like you could well still have some soggy carpet backing though.

Check the bottom of your doorcards too. My car was quite a bit worse when the membranes were leaking, and the bottom of the carpet was wet.

Archived