Basic maintenance of 986 roof mechanism

siddleg

Hi 

Does any know of any maintenance for the roof mechanism? I.E white grease, WD40 etc to keep it working smoothly and take the pressure off the motors. Or do you just need to keep the car clean and drainage channels clear? 

Cheers 

12 hours ago, siddleg said:

Hi 

Does any know of any maintenance for the roof mechanism? I.E white grease, WD40 etc to keep it working smoothly and take the pressure off the motors. Or do you just need to keep the car clean and drainage channels clear? 

Cheers 

Was one of the first things i did when i got my car, went round with lithium grease spray and did all the joints including the channels that the clamshell runs in. 

Don't use WD40 as it will kill any lubricant that is still in there.

You can get lithium grease in a spray can from Toolstation as I'm sure that where I got mine from. I've used it on the hood joints and various other bits. 

43 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

Never done this on mine in four years of ownership. Worth doing?

£5 for a can of lithium grease and 10 mins standing up of your time. It's a no brainer for simple DIY maintenance. Do it when you check your rear drains and get an old toothbrush to clean the runners and job done. 

54 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

Never done this on mine in four years of ownership. Worth doing?

Yes and since you asked the question if you don't and then something breaks in the spring, you will curse yourself. Sods law applies! :(

Archived