Central locking

smp986

I've just bought my first 986s the only thing not working is the central locking. The light comes on the key when pressed but the car doesn't respond! I've spoken to a guy who does key reprogramming but he says only a opc will be able to do it?, anyone know if there's a cheaper option ? 

I bought mine last week and as far as I can see the answer is NO So im off tomorrow to get my key re programmed at a cost off £190 and this is for 1 key! It better work ive tried everything else and it didnt work so this is the rather expensive last resort

I will let you know if it works if you want On the plus side they have told be they will be able to let me know about any other faults that crop up which I suspect will be equally expensive just what I need on my daughters 21st birthday

Ok so long story short key taken today to PC and they checked both keys but neither could work so reprogrammed one key and it now works but I still have a problem with the horn still going once when I lock up they think it's a micro switch in the door lock but I think it could be the aftermarket ice but I'll check it out first myself before I spend any more money but I'm happy I can even open the boot remotely ?

+1 on the aftermarket head unit,I had it when I fitted a double din in my 986.

There is a wire which I think was earthed on the factory fitting cage, I think originally I just taped it up and the horn beeped everytime I set the alarm.

It won't be affecting your key issues but I bet it's your beeping problem ?

It is the other way round. The wire to the original cage is the alarm contact, which goes to earth when you pull out the radio. People often think it has to be earthed, when it actually needs to be insulated.  If you are getting a SINGLE beep on locking, that is likely to be your problem. If it is a DOUBLE beep, it is likely a door lock micro switch. 

11 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It is the other way round. The wire to the original cage is the alarm contact, which goes to earth when you pull out the radio. People often think it has to be earthed, when it actually needs to be insulated.  If you are getting a SINGLE beep on locking, that is likely to be your problem. If it is a DOUBLE beep, it is likely a door lock micro switch. 

Single beep only so that's why I suspected the ICE but not had the chance to check it yet

10 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I thought that a beep when you try to set the alarm indicates something wrong.  I had this when I first bought my 986 but it simply turned out that the centre console lid was not closed properly.

Boot. Bonnet. Centre console. Glovebox. If any of these are open I get a single beep when I set the alarm.  

• 1 month later...

I was getting a single beep on mine too and this was the centre console lid. For whatever reason it is very difficult to get the latch to close - it needs to be very firmly (slammed) closed before the latch will engage. I can't see any way to adjust this either.

47 minutes ago, TomGW said:

I was getting a single beep on mine too and this was the centre console lid. For whatever reason it is very difficult to get the latch to close - it needs to be very firmly (slammed) closed before the latch will engage. I can't see any way to adjust this either.

If it's the one that you can lock, I lock it so that it never opens, haven't had a problem since.

The OEM cage has a brown wire that if earthed (ie head unit extracted) it sets of the alarm.

There are a lot of wrong posts on the web stating this should be earthed if you replace the head unit.  Look for the brown wire on it's own , usually drivers side of stereo.  and ensure it's not connected to anything and isolated.

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2017 at 10:54 PM, rowbos said:

Boot. Bonnet. Centre console. Glovebox. If any of these are open I get a single beep when I set the alarm.  

Searching the forum before posting a Q can be a good thing.

I was about to ask why just when my alarm had started to give a reasuring beep on locking it had now stopped.

I can now remember at some point the computer telling me the frunk was open. Reading this thread and piecing together the history means the car was just trying to warn me.

Shame because i liked the little beep...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived