IMS continued...

Nellyans

11 hours ago, edc said:

Search for SKF as its been posted here before with part numbers. 

Search brings up only this thread.

Iirc the standard bearing is under a tenner with the ceramic version about eighty quid. 

If you search from the main forum index rather than 986 section it brings up a lot more posts. 

Doing the IMS replacement requires time, parts, special tools and instructions. All matching up leads to success. Seen people using the wrong parts, tools and/or instructions fail.

I'd ask specifically for feedback on using a specific set of instructions as some have led others astray.

Good luck.

Duffy did it, as did someone else - marseille? And a couple of others who I forget.

Free tip - don't use a lump hammer to reinstall the bearing, as one indie has on more than one occasion :o   I think the instructions were to put the new one in the freezer for 24h or so, so it shrinks and slides in easily.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Duffy did it, as did someone else - marseille? And a couple of others who I forget.

Free tip - don't use a lump hammer to reinstall the bearing, as one indie has on more than one occasion :o   I think the instructions were to put the new one in the freezer for 24h or so, so it shrinks and slides in easily.

Good tip that one, I've used it for installing cycle wheel bearings. Put it in a Jiffy bag so it doesn't warm up on the way to the car and have everything ready to put it straight in before it warms up

Archived