718 GTS announced

Boxster981S

Just now, Boxster981S said:

I have always wanted a 911 but when I looked properly at the convertible the Boxster 981 just looked better IMO so I bet for that.

That’s exactly where I think I am at the moment ?

2 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

yes just looked and 2nd hand are upwards of £80k

the 997 is a different model entirely...more of a 911 with a big sliding sun roof

2007-porsche-targa-911-99_800x0w.jpg

Yeah not as funky looking as the 991.

For me the 911 convertible with the roof down looks like a bath tub. It would have to be Coupe with glass roof or Targa for me (GTS). When I said £71k was O.K for the 781 GTS I was not contemplating going to the 4 pot turbo ! Been down that route and went 981.

7 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

For me the 911 convertible with the roof down looks like a bath tub. It would have to be Coupe with glass roof or Targa for me (GTS). When I said £71k was O.K for the 781 GTS I was not contemplating going to the 4 pot turbo ! Been down that route and went 981.

Yep. Roof up it looks decent.  Roof down is a different matter.  

On 18/10/2017 at 10:02 PM, rowbos said:

I played with the configurator earlier.  Wow those options add up ?

I ended up at £72k :o

I would be seriously tempted to have a look at one of these if I thought it would hold its value and I oculd sell at a reasonable price after two years .....

Hmmmm ..... must .... resist .... must .... resist ......................

13 hours ago, rowbos said:

The trouble is whenever I look at a 911 convertible, much as I want a 911, I can’t get away from it’s fat ar*e!   I think it’s going to have to be another Boxster - they just look right as a convertible.  

+1

10 hours ago, guest1 said:

I would be seriously tempted to have a look at one of these if I thought it would hold its value and I oculd sell at a reasonable price after two years .....

I could never justify spending that amount of money on any car, no matter how much I had burning a hole in my pocket, but I am eternally grateful to those who do so that we have a nice used market to play with :)

11 hours ago, guest1 said:

Well historically the GTS models do seem to hold their value well, but I suspect much of this is via enthusiasts support. In general the 718 has not been well received by enthusiast groups so there is no guarantee this will maintain the trend. In fact it will be interesting how the second hand 718 market pans out. I would not be surprised if 718 values drop below 981 after 5 years or so (similar to 993 vs 996)

44 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

That is drop dead gorgeous!

Oh yes it is, that folding roof mechanism would get a bit of attention - quite beyond the attention a car that gorgeous would get - very cool!

I still firmly believe that if you want a flat 6 Porsche, it will be a 911 variant. From memory, when they were launching the 718, I remember a claim from one of the Stuttgart design team via YT or similar that the F6 engine would physically not fit in the engine bay in turbocharged form. As the 991.2s are all turbos now (for emissions) I think that pretty much rules out a flat six ever being in the 718 range. Also, an F6 718 would be right in the territory of the 911 and would make the 2wd models look very expensive for what you get. I think that the 911s will have exclusive access to the F6 whereas the 718s will be F4s.

YMMV.

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

I still firmly believe that if you want a flat 6 Porsche, it will be a 911 variant. From memory, when they were launching the 718, I remember a claim from one of the Stuttgart design team via YT or similar that the F6 engine would physically not fit in the engine bay in turbocharged form. As the 991.2s are all turbos now (for emissions) I think that pretty much rules out a flat six ever being in the 718 range. Also, an F6 718 would be right in the territory of the 911 and would make the 2wd models look very expensive for what you get. I think that the 911s will have exclusive access to the F6 whereas the 718s will be F4s.

YMMV.

Well yes going forward you will have to go 911 to get a flat6.

They did say that the turbo F6 would not fit but that’s BS. Maybe for this generation/body but when they go to the next generation they can do whatever they want with the engine bay. Even for this gen it they had wanted they could have got a 6cylinder 2 litre or 2.5 litre turbo to fit. 

Your last point is the real nub of the reason though. The Caysters were just getting too close to the 911 and if they had maintained a F6 that would have continued. This was a way of putting clear water between the 911 and ‘lower’ sports cars.

21 hours ago, GTB981 said:

For me the 911 convertible with the roof down looks like a bath tub. It would have to be Coupe with glass roof or Targa for me (GTS). 

Agree on the 911 convertible looks plus I'm pretty sure the fact that it is a coupe with the roof cut off will not have done it any favours in the chassis department.  Not sure whether others on here make any distinction but I don't really like any convertible with more than 2 seats (roadster?).  They seem a bit showy to me but maybe the 2 seat distinction is just my way of justifying the Boxster to myself :)  (and the Elise...)

I do like the look of the 991 Targa but I had to look twice at that second shot (front 3/4 angle) as to me that looks pretty hideous (hunchback looking).  I hadn't noticed that before but that is possibly because the one I see regularly is parked up with the roof on.  Might also just be the colour too as a quick google in black and it's not so bad.

Archived