Tyres cracking - time to replace?

Chipps

One of the observations on my recent first (to me) service of my 04 Boxster S at Revolution Porsche. They observed that all the tyres appeared to have cracking to them - presumably due to it being a pretty low yearly mileage car in the last ten years and standing around outside a lot. All the tyres are Bridgestones - and the two rears are different tread patterns...

Anyway, there's plenty of tread left on all the tyres, but should I just go ahead and get a whole new set of rubber and be done with it? Or wait until they start leaking/flatting? I'm happy to replace with Bridgestone Potenzas again as they seem great (not that I have any other experience on this car to compare them to)

My local tyre garage can get the tyres in and fitted, but it's going to be a good £500-600 or so... 

I'm not sure - the car is new to me since June.

My first thought is to replace them all and start afresh, but just wanted to see if some wisecrack says 'Ahh, they all do that, you'll get another 10,000 miles out of them'

There is a few tyre cracking thread on the forum if you use the search. Could help you come to a decision. Worth asking your local tyre garage what they have in part worn's also as you might pick up a pair of rears with 6/7mm on them for £100 a pair. It seems like it's the curse of N rated. Pilot sports seem to win the best reviews on the forum if you do buy new. 

There will be a four figure date stamp somewhere, wwyy. 

My cars tyres (MPS2) are now 9 years old. Still plenty of tread but I guess the rubber is hard. I can drive it as a car but not as a Porsche. Last week I lit up the tyres in the dry in second gear; never done that before. 

I got my PCGB mag today and in it was a slip saying if a mem of PCGB you can get a fuel card worth £50 for 2 tryes or £100 for 4 tyres if you bought Pirelli's if 18's or above,less if lower

If your tyres are over 5 years old and are cracked, I wouldn't trust them! They might fail catastrophically. I had a caravan with 8 year old tyres that had masses of tread but one blew in the outside lane of the dual carriageway from Edinburgh Airport and it was pure luck that I managed to stop without hitting anything while keeping on the road. Never again! Have a word with a good tyre supplier. If you can't see the date of manufacturer, they can and advise you.

8 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

If your tyres are over 5 years old and are cracked, I wouldn't trust them! They might fail catastrophically. I had a caravan with 8 year old tyres that had masses of tread but one blew in the outside lane of the dual carriageway from Edinburgh Airport and it was pure luck that I managed to stop without hitting anything while keeping on the road. Never again! Have a word with a good tyre supplier. If you can't see the date of manufacturer, they can and advise you.

Totally agree, over 5 years old and junk them especially if you rarely use the car. 

10 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

There will be a four figure date stamp somewhere, wwyy. 

My cars tyres (MPS2) are now 9 years old. Still plenty of tread but I guess the rubber is hard. I can drive it as a car but not as a Porsche. Last week I lit up the tyres in the dry in second gear; never done that before. 

That story sounds familiar. Mine is also low mileage and nothing visible but I suspect they have gone hard and seem to get lots of wheel spin off the line. What is also odd is the amount of spin before the Psm kicks in. Definitely less of a nanny than most cars. 

22 minutes ago, Blackbatchew said:

That story sounds familiar. Mine is also low mileage and nothing visible but I suspect they have gone hard and seem to get lots of wheel spin off the line. What is also odd is the amount of spin before the Psm kicks in. Definitely less of a nanny than most cars. 

This is what i found when i got the wheels i have now from @Araf. The tyres were way past their best, easily span up and in the wet were borderline dangerous. The difference between them and new Pirellis was night and day.

Anyone driving around in a light powerful sports car on old cracked tyres really needs to have a look at themselves imo, they're the only contact between you and the road and why you'd take chances with that is beyond me. 

I found a 2011 and a 2013, can't see the other two date codes.

"over 5 years old and junk them especially if you rarely use the car." - Oh I use it. I don't think the previous owner did though...

Off to the tyre shop!

40 minutes ago, Chipps said:

I found a 2011 and a 2013, can't see the other two date codes.

"over 5 years old and junk them especially if you rarely use the car." - Oh I use it. I don't think the previous owner did though...

Off to the tyre shop!

Even more reason for new rubber,  a whole new world of grip awaits.

I wouldn't buy Potenza's, I had them on my last car and they were nothing special, terrible in the cold and truly dreadful in snow.  I would go for Michelin PS2, 3 or 4 or Goodyear AS2's or 3's, far superior!

Michelins are looking like £750 for the whole car, with Pirelli or Bridgestones around £550...

Worth the extra £200 for Michelins then? Given that my car is not a daily driver, I don't/won't track the car and I live in Yorkshire... (Though I'm not a Yorkshireman, so don't mind spending money if the situation calls for it...) ;-)

7 minutes ago, Chipps said:

Michelins are looking like £750 for the whole car, with Pirelli or Bridgestones around £550...

Worth the extra £200 for Michelins then? Given that my car is not a daily driver, I don't/won't track the car and I live in Yorkshire... (Though I'm not a Yorkshireman, so don't mind spending money if the situation calls for it...) ;-)

Which Michelins are you looking at?

When I got my 987 it had PS2s all round. Decent looking tread of around 5/6mm.   I’d only had it a few weeks when it gave me a scare.  When I looked at the tyres closely the rears were cracking, hard and were around 5-6 years old.  The fronts were only 2 years old. 

I put new PS2s on the rear and it made a massive difference.

Replacing now I’d be inclined to go for Michelin PS4S - my car is a 2-3K weekend car but I like to feel secure when I do drive it!

Only thing that gives you contact with the road, they're obviously past their best & your driving something with a bit of power heading into winter....

Do you really need to ask whether to change them? ?

15 hours ago, Chipps said:

I have the Pirelli and they're excellent, no complaints. I had the Bridgestone before and the main difference is they "feel" harder, don't roll as much in a corner but you can feel every little bump. 

OK  Michelins ordered - using the same ‘If you’re going to spend money, you might as well spend money’ logic that saw me buy a Boxster S instead of my intended Mk1 Audi TT  ?

Do I need to suggest/insist that my garage uses the official screw-in wheel nut pole thing when removing the wheels so’s not to scuff the callipers? Or is that a bit overkill advice for a decent tyre tech?

10 minutes ago, Chipps said:

OK  Michelins ordered - using the same ‘If you’re going to spend money, you might as well spend money’ logic that saw me buy a Boxster S instead of my intended Mk1 Audi TT  ?

Do I need to suggest/insist that my garage uses the official screw-in wheel nut pole thing when removing the wheels so’s not to scuff the callipers? Or is that a bit overkill advice for a decent tyre tech?

? Which Michelin’s did you go for?

I don’t see anything wrong with your request that they be careful.  If that is what you want I would ask for it (politely and noting that it’s not them it’s you - to avoid getting their backs up!).  I even bought another couple of the wheel support tools to use when required. 

Archived